PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin Sighting

Dfyngravity
Oct-27-2009, 7:58am
Sting preformed on the Today Show this morning to promote his new CD of his favorite winter songs. The song was very nice, seems like it would make or might already be a nice fiddle tune. There were a few fiddles and a mandolin. It was definitely a custom mandolin, blacktop A-5.....couldn't get a name off of the headstock, but it sounded very nice.

jim simpson
Oct-27-2009, 11:32am
I saw a bit of that, I thought it was a black-face Collings.

Dfyngravity
Oct-27-2009, 11:44am
That is what I was thinking. They showed several close ups, and the fingerboard looked like a collins, but every time they started to pan towards the headstock they faded out to another view!

jim simpson
Oct-27-2009, 11:31pm
I'm sorry I didn't get to hear more. The mandolin sounded prominent enough in the mix. There must be a new release for Sting. I joked that he was doing bluegrass!

journeybear
Oct-27-2009, 11:43pm
It's a winter album, with a Christmas song or two. I made a mention of it over on the Mandolins On TV (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50252) thread, with a link to a video at amazon of Sting talking about the project.

Also, on "Dancing With The Stars" tonight, Taylor Swift's fiddler played mandolin on the first of two songs. Couldn't hear it, natch.

journeybear
Oct-28-2009, 10:53pm
Sting is on Letterman tonight. I expect more eclectic instrumentation, hopefully including a mandolin ... :mandosmiley:

journeybear
Oct-29-2009, 7:10am
Hmmm ... same song, same instrumentation. Still can't see the logo on the mandolin's headstock. Sting is scheduled to be on The View this morning. More of the same? Only one way to find out ...

Patrick Market
Dec-31-2009, 4:33pm
This is out of the context of the original post, but today for the first time I saw a show called Imagination Movers, while visiting my inlaws. This is a Disney show for toddlers, and I didn't think too much when my 3-year old said excitedly, "Daddy, look!" When I did, I caught a glimpse of a white F-style mandolin in the hands of one of the cast (whom Google assures me is a fellow named Scott Durbin).

So now my son is infected. Could MAS be far behind for him? :cool:

mrmando
Dec-31-2009, 5:00pm
There was an online holiday Best Buy ad featuring six or seven carolers singing a Best Buy jingle to the tune of a Christmas carol ... one of the carolers was playing simple chords on a cheap Asian A-style. Saw it a few times, surfing around.

catmandu2
Dec-31-2009, 5:52pm
I saw some of that Sting Winter Concert show on PBS. In addition to guitars and doublebass, they had harp, fiddle, pipe, mando and bouzouki...and Cyro Baptista on percussion.