PDA

View Full Version : chord fingerings

ald
Oct-27-2009, 4:06am
I've been trying to play Jethro Burns chordal version of Misty for years now. I figured it out by ear so it probably far from accurate (but it keeps me happy).
Anyhow, at the end of the second verse I finish up with the following chords (don't know the names except C and D, just picked up by ear and first number in every group of number is always the lowest string): 1,4,5 -5,5,6 -4,6,8 -3,5,6

My fingering for that is: 1,2,3 - 1,1,3 - 1,2,3- 1,2,3
It always feels slightly uncomfortable (I have a vintage A Gibson so wide fingerboard). Should I try fingers 1,2,4 instead of 1,2,3?
Is there any particular rule for this?

Bruce Evans
Oct-27-2009, 6:18am
Is there any particular rule for this?

Here is my rule:
If I can get there in time from the previous chord and make it to the next chord in a musical manner, it's right.

Don Stiernberg
Oct-27-2009, 8:46am
On the grouping 5,5,6 you might try using fingers 1 and 2 only. This leaves finger 3 ready to business somewhere else, and you're not crossing 2 and 3 in fret sequence..

Using primarily fingers 1,2, and 3 on those other shapes is good for the same reason--the pinky isn't tied up unnecessarily.

Deciphering Jethro chord melody stuff is sometimes aided by the knowledge that he often fingered double (and occasionally triple)stops with one finger, the index finger usually. Also you'll see several chord shapes used frequently--like the ones you've shown here for example..

ald
Oct-27-2009, 11:10am
On the grouping 5,5,6 you might try using fingers 1 and 2 only. This leaves finger 3 ready to business somewhere else, and you're not crossing 2 and 3 in fret sequence..

Using primarily fingers 1,2, and 3 on those other shapes is good for the same reason--the pinky isn't tied up unnecessarily.

Deciphering Jethro chord melody stuff is sometimes aided by the knowledge that he often fingered double (and occasionally triple)stops with one finger, the index finger usually. Also you'll see several chord shapes used frequently--like the ones you've shown here for example..

Thanks, a lot Don. Actually, I do bar the two 5th frets in the 5,5,6 grouping with my first finger. Or do you mean Jethro sometimes used to bar with the tip of his finger?

ald
Oct-27-2009, 11:20am
Sorry, Don, I see what you mean. I hadn't thought about it before but I do have a tendency to bar to strings with my first finger and then use my third finger for the other note, particularly when there is a space between the barred fret and the other one. For instance in the same tune, Misty, I bar 1,1,3 with first, first and third finger. I suppose it feels more comfortably but your suggestion is certainly more logical. Thanks.