PDA

View Full Version : Guarneri violin sold for $10 million

Scott Tichenor
Oct-25-2009, 12:11pm
Reading the NY Times this a.m. and came across this article. Somewhat sad, for sure, but part of the funds certainly put to good use.

Guarneri Violin Sold for $10 Million (http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/21/guarneri-violin-sold-for-10-million/)

sgarrity
Oct-25-2009, 12:49pm
A little sad, yes. I can't imagine how hard it must have been to say goodbye to a musical partner of 50 years. But he seems to have a definite plan for what to do with the money. I'm glad it was also agreed that it would get played and not just stored in a collection.

Now everyone needs to show this article to their significant others so they understand just how affordable our mandolin habit really is. Makes a Loar look downright affordable! ;)

mandroid
Oct-25-2009, 12:57pm
Man ! Talk about working forever to pay off your performance hardware .. the 8 is laid over with that.
[sign for infinity, folks]

:popcorn:

Sir Paul May be able to afford it, though..

OldSausage
Oct-25-2009, 1:01pm
Oh boo hoo. I'm sure he has another decent fiddle at home.

Mercier
Oct-25-2009, 1:02pm
i new it! Mandolin was the perfect choice of instrument! :)

Skip Kelley
Oct-25-2009, 1:08pm
This story is nothing short of astounding! I had no idea of the value of those violins.

James P
Oct-25-2009, 3:31pm
Work the "investment" angle and emphasize to your spouse that he probably only paid a couple hundred thousand for that fiddle in '58.

Pete Counter
Oct-27-2009, 11:26am
Whenever I hear a story like this I am astounded at the idea that not only the most valuable instruments but the best sounding most playable most loved instruments in the violin world are 300 or 400 years old. One wouldnt think they would even be playable that old much less the best. Will the loyd loars be that playable 300 years from now? can you think of a martin guitar from 1833 still being played? that violin was built in 1741, 90 years before cf martin opened shop. there may be a few very old piano's or harps still in service but 300 or 400 years old? ..... amazing.

testore
Oct-27-2009, 11:40am
I know the violin well. Aaron Rosand let me have it for about two hours to take photos and measurements. I only had to hand over a dozen cigars. That violin is worth EVERY penny. It is in perfect condition and is considered about the finest Guarneri not housed in a museum, with the exception of maybe one other.

tree
Oct-27-2009, 12:22pm
So, if the money wasn't an issue and someone just wanted to be a smart, responsible owner/player of such an instrument, what are the things you would need to think about?

1. Insurance (I'm sure a company like Heritage that specialized in musical instruments would be about the only option).

2. Maintenance: I suspect you'd probably need to use room humidifiers throughout the house, but what else might you need to consider to maintain playability and value, and keep it in excellent condition?

Jack Roberts
Oct-27-2009, 12:42pm
Makes a Loar seem cheap at twice the price.

Bruce Clausen
Oct-27-2009, 12:43pm
It was formerly Paul Kochanski's violin. He made a wonderful recording of the Brahms D minor sonata with Rubinstein at the piano, presumably on this fiddle. That was in 1932, and he died shortly after. Youtube has a home movie of Kochanski at a 1928 cocktail party, but apparently no examples of his playing.

BC

journeybear
Oct-27-2009, 12:53pm
A little sad, yes. I can't imagine how hard it must have been to say goodbye to a musical partner of 50 years. But he seems to have a definite plan for what to do with the money. I'm glad it was also agreed that it would get played and not just stored in a collection.

I'm always glad when I see sellers make arrangements like this. These glorious instruments are meant to be played, and also heard by as many people as possible - not locked away. I shudder when I think of all the fine instruments doomed to an existence of captivity in some collector's hermetically sealed atmospherically controlled vault. :crying:

Now everyone needs to show this article to their significant others so they understand just how affordable our mandolin habit really is. Makes a Loar look downright affordable!

Loars are affordable - you just need enough moolah! ;)

Work the "investment" angle and emphasize to your spouse that he probably only paid a couple hundred thousand for that fiddle in '58.

Interesting to note that he and/or the reporter neglected to mention that pertinent bit of information ... :whistling:

Whenever I hear a story like this I am astounded at the idea that not only the most valuable instruments but the best sounding most playable most loved instruments in the violin world are 300 or 400 years old. One wouldnt think they would even be playable that old much less the best ... amazing.

It truly is amazing. I'm sure it has everything to do with the craftsmanship with which they were built and the materials that were used. These builders were geniuses who learned all they could from whomever they apprenticed under and then did more research to achieve the inimitable levels of skill they did.

By comparison, my mandolin and mandola, both over 90 years old, sound great - and these are made by craftsmen in a factory, certainly not on the same level of expertise as Guarneri or Stradivarius, and not even "high-end' models. I wonder how will modern instruments made by individual luthiers come to be regarded centuries from now? It does seem that aging helps to determine an instrument's ultimate value, but how this process works is affected by so many factors that it's anyone's guess.

yankees1
Oct-27-2009, 6:17pm
I held a Guarneri once at Bearden Violin shop in Saint Louis, Mo. Yikes!

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-28-2009, 1:44am
For a long time,the Guarneri Violins were rated as 'second' to the well known Stradivari Violins,but many top Violinists knew that when these instruments 'matured', they were going to at least equal the Strads.in terms of sound quality.
Many years back,i worked with a colleague who was himself a Violinist & both his parents were pro.musicians. He loaned me a copy of the famed "Strad." magazine which had an article comparing the currently (then) acclaimed Strads. & the 'up & coming' Guarneri & Guadanini Violins in which a few world renowned Violinists expressed their opinions on the instruments. Without exception,they all stated that 'in their opinion',the Guarneris could ultimately be a better Violin (in terms of sound) than many of the top Strads.
I can certainly understand this musician's saddness over the loss of his musical 'partner' for so many years - i've felt bad over selling instruments that i've had for maybe only a couple of years.
I can only hope that whoever bought it,loans it (as so many owners do),to a world class Violinist,so that we can continue to hear it.
Regarding the price - peanuts !!! (not really), but build me another one just like it !,
Ivan ~:>

Glassweb
Oct-28-2009, 2:54am
Like old Stradivari, like old Lloyd Loar... old man Guaneri ain't makin' no more

delsbrother
Oct-28-2009, 3:50am
Whenever I hear a story like this I am astounded at the idea that not only the most valuable instruments but the best sounding most playable most loved instruments in the violin world are 300 or 400 years old. One wouldnt think they would even be playable that old much less the best. Will the loyd loars be that playable 300 years from now? can you think of a martin guitar from 1833 still being played? that violin was built in 1741, 90 years before cf martin opened shop. there may be a few very old piano's or harps still in service but 300 or 400 years old? ..... amazing.

No doubt it is a fine example of 300 year old craftsmanship.. But surely there has been considerable work done to it over the years.

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-28-2009, 4:42am
Remarkably,many of these old Violins,have little work done to them over the years,other than maybe a new & or re-placed/re-positioned sound post & tuning pegs. My colleague owned a German Violin that was close to 200 years old, & had nothing at all done to it. Original fingerboard,tailpiece & tuners (as far as he knew of course).It had belonged to his Uncle's maternal Grandfather. His uncle didn't play & so passed it on to my friend.
Any work done on a 'noted' Violin is well documented,as would be expected. Personally,i can see no reason why well made Mandolins shouldn't be around in 300 years time. If they are well looked after,kept in good repair & away from 'extreme' temperatures & humidity. They are after all,'next of kin' to Violins & could have the same longevity if cared for (IMHO),
Ivan

journeybear
Oct-28-2009, 11:06am
On a somewhat related note - there are two Stradivarius mandolins known to exist, one of which, the Cutler-Challen Mandolin (http://orgs.usd.edu/nmm/PluckedStrings/Mandolins/StradMandolin/StradMandolin.html), is on display at the National Music Museum of The University of South Dakota, Vermillion SD. Looks in good shape, no idea if it's playable. Surely NFS, but you can get a poster. The website has closeup views from all angles. They also have one of two extant Stradivarius guitars (http://orgs.usd.edu/nmm/PluckedStrings/Guitars/Stradivari/StradGuitar.html) in their collection.

lenf12
Oct-28-2009, 2:04pm
Remarkably,many of these old Violins,have little work done to them over the years,other than maybe a new & or re-placed/re-positioned sound post & tuning pegs.

Ivan

I was under the impression that Stradivarius violins had been retrofitted with longer necks as the original necks were of the shorter "baroque" style. The new, longer necks contributed to higher string tension and greater volume as became the aesthetic during the "romantic" era. Perhaps someone can verify this information.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

EggerRidgeBoy
Oct-28-2009, 3:41pm
I was under the impression that Stradivarius violins had been retrofitted with longer necks as the original necks were of the shorter "baroque" style. The new, longer necks contributed to higher string tension and greater volume as became the aesthetic during the "romantic" era. Perhaps someone can verify this information.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

I remember reading somewhere that there are only a handful - maybe as few as two - Strads with the original necks. (I'm guessing "reading somewhere" isn't quite the verification you were looking for - if I can track down an actual source I'll post it.)

[Hmm, can't seem to find a source for the "only two" info, but I have found several that claim there are no Stradivarius violins with their original necks, that all surviving examples had their necks replaced, as you noted, during the early 19th-Century to reflect the musical tastes of the Romantic Era.]

Link
Oct-28-2009, 3:51pm
I've heard something similar: the necks are replaced (along with the fingerboard) with a more gently sloping modern fingerboard. Apparently old baroque violin family instruments had steeper fingerboards.

Giuliano
Oct-28-2009, 4:20pm
Thanks for posting the article, Scott.

I don't know anything about what has been done to the Stradivariuses over the years, but the article caused me to think that music and its' instruments are like a stream that we dip into for a time then leave. It was here before us, and will be here after we are gone. Hope the Guarneri continues to be played

allenhopkins
Oct-28-2009, 9:07pm
I've heard something similar: the necks are replaced (along with the fingerboard) with a more gently sloping modern fingerboard. Apparently old baroque violin family instruments had steeper fingerboards.

Can't find a source specifying a general replacement/lengthening of Guarneri necks, but this article (http://www.cozio.com/Instrument.aspx?id=130) indicates that Paganini's Guarneri, the "Canon," has had its neck lengthened.

bonny
Oct-28-2009, 9:19pm
Hope the Guarneri continues to be played

You can pretty much count on it. People who buy these instruments are most often investors who understand that if it doesn't get played it falls into disrepair and eventually becomes unplayable....and worth a lot less. That's why you see so many competitions where the young winner gets the use of a magnificent instrument for a period of time. It's a nice philanthropic thing to do but it also keeps the instrument in top sounding and playing shape which keeps it's value at the maximum. Too bad guitar collectors haven't figured this out and seem to value a pristine finish higher than something that plays and sounds great. When I think of all the unplayed D'Angelicos in glass cases turning into firewood it makes me wanna cry.

Charlieshafer
Oct-28-2009, 9:35pm
Re Stradivari's and their alterations: living with a concert violinist wife has subjected me to much violin history when surrounded by her friends. Essentially, the only Stradivari left unaltered, as far as anyone knows, is the "Messiah". It's a cool story, but yes, all other Strads have new necks, many have had many repairs, as would be anticipated; tops popped on and off, cracks repaired, etc. What could one expect? There's a book out there called "Stardivari's Genius" by Toby Faber, that goes into the whole history, legend, ethos, etc in great detail and in an entertaining way. If you're a fan of old instruments of any family, it's a great read, and actually fun. If anything, it only serves to make one more appreciative of the really great instruments out there, with the potentially disastrous effect of wanting to buy every instrument ever made.

JeffD
Oct-29-2009, 5:19am
the article caused me to think that music and its' instruments are like a stream that we dip into for a time then leave. It was here before us, and will be here after we are gone.

Considering the number of pockets in a shroud, everything we have is only borrowed for a time.

OldSausage
Oct-29-2009, 9:47am
Considering the number of pockets in a shroud, everything we have is only borrowed for a time.

Mr Cheerful.

lenf12
Oct-29-2009, 3:44pm
That's why you see so many competitions where the young winner gets the use of a magnificent instrument for a period of time. It's a nice philanthropic thing to do but it also keeps the instrument in top sounding and playing shape which keeps it's value at the maximum.

For some interesting research on old violin family instruments, try Googling the "Tokyo String Quartet". Each member plays a Stradivarius instrument. The 1st violinist plays a later Strad from approx. 1738 or so and 2nd violinist plays an early Strad from the 1680's. I attended their performance here in Clearwater last year and the difference in the sound of these 2 violins was striking. Both were very beautiful but quite different. Of course the viola and cello were amazing as well. The current players in this quartet are among the finest musicians I've ever witnessed. Each was in total command of his instrument. WOW!!

Len B.
Clearwater, FL