PDA

View Full Version : Going to see Sam Bush for the first time!

Andrew Roberts
Oct-21-2009, 12:01pm
I just figured that this would be a good place to share my excitement at seeing Sam Bush play for the first time tonight! He is doing a show with Mike Farris, Miss Tess and the Bon Ton Parade, and Caitlin Rose. The show I believe is a new series at the Loveless Cafe called Music City Roots (Emmylou Harris was the inaugural show last week) and will be broadcast live on WSM radio. Thanks to the Cafe for pointing all of this out on the homepage!

Sam Bush was one of the first mandolin players I fell in love with, so I am pretty darn stoked about tonight. I'll let you all know how the show goes. Or better yet, tune in and listen for yourself!

Andrew

300win
Oct-21-2009, 12:13pm
I was fortunate enough to see Sam for the first time along with the original Newgrass Revival in Berryville, Virginia in 1971. If I'm not mistaken that was the first festival they played as a group. It was in one word AWESOME ! I'll never forget the first tune { "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" }, and the last tune { " Mule Skinner Blues" } they played in that show, the latter one did in an extremly high key and about 90 mph. They also did some of the songs that were released on the first album. They recieved a standing ovation, with 2 encores.

jim_n_virginia
Oct-21-2009, 10:44pm
your gonna love his show! :mandosmiley:

Andrew Roberts
Oct-24-2009, 9:32am
Well, better a little late than never. Here's a little mini review from what I can remember from Wednesday.

The first act was Mike Farris. He started his career as a rocker, and just recently released a gospel album. His voice was unbelievable. Very soulful and bluesy. It went great with the background vocals of the McCrary Sisters. The next act was a young musician named Caitlin Rose. On a somewhat unrelated note, she Caitlin Rose performed in Nashville on Sunday as part of an Elliott Smith tribute concert that according to my roommate was very good. She had a very cool sound that in my somewhat limited experience sounded a bit like Iris Dement. She seemed a bit nervous about being broadcast on live radio. After the first couple songs she would say 'Oh geez'. Ha, it was kind of endearing. Next was Miss Tess and the Bon Ton Parade. Very jazzy. The band consisted of a multi-instrumentalist on the clarinet and tenor sax, a drummer, upright bass, and then Tess on vocals and guitar. For me, the standout in this set was certainly the clarinet/sax player. I never thought I would give a standing ovation for a clarinet player, but that guy was just pure cool. He could shred on the clarinet, and all of his solos were tastefully done. On a more instrument-nerd note Miss Tess had a beautiful old archtop guitar. During her interview segment, she told the story of how she bought it from some guy, and I believe she said it was from the 30's, but I'm not entirely sure. I'll try to include a picture of it for any of you who may be interested. And then finally, Sam Bush was on. Several things stand out in my mind. First, what a voice. I know he is a great mando picker, but you gotta love that voice. So smooth and powerful. He started with the title track off of his new album, Circles Around Me. A pretty cool song about life's journeys, and a great beginning to the set. Second thing that stands out, is great picking. They played a great instrumental piece called Blue Mountain. I couldn't help but smile watching and listening to Sam play. As great as he was, in my memory he was outshone by Scott Vestal on the 5-string banjo. Holy Cow! I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I had not heard his playing until Wednesday night. I have seen some good banjo players in Nashville, but I have never heard a banjo player with such control and such precise, smoking licks. It was pretty amazing. The only other song I can recall by name was The Ballad of Stringbean and Estelle. Another cool song, and again great vocals from Sam. Finally, my last impressions: what great hair! Sam plays with such great enthusiasm and energy, and when that head starts moving, I must admit I got a bit caught up on the flowing locks, haha. I supposed the deeper meaning behind this ultra creepy comment is that his energy and generous stage presence went a long way in enhancing the enjoyment of watching him play.

Well, I hope this long and rambling review is enjoyed by at least a few of you. I haven't quite gained the eloquence in posting that some of the more experienced posters have.

Fretbear
Oct-24-2009, 9:45am
Great report Andrew; Yes, Sam doesn't just sing, he sings good. His voice is very warm and also has alot of range. Scott Vestal and his bass-playing brother Curtis used to play with Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver, and as you can imagine they can sing a bit as well.