PDA

View Full Version : Vintage German Mandolin, need info, Thank You

mrst
Oct-18-2009, 3:07pm
I need to find out the history and value of my great grandmother's mandolin. She immigrated to the United States between WWI and WW2 from Berlin, Germany. She would dance around playing this, and singing to us great grandkids. It's amazing how graceful she was. I have attached photos to aid in learning its history/maker. Thank you for any assistance.

Jim Garber
Oct-18-2009, 3:40pm
Well, Nana might have immigrated to the US from Germany, but I am not so sure about her mandolin. The shape of the headstock and pickguard as well as the purfling and shape of the bowl resembles many sold by Lyon & Healy. The inlays are quite nice and tasteful and I am not sure about those. It is great to have those great memories , esp the description of her dancing around. Lovely.

EdHanrahan
Oct-21-2009, 11:33am
Looks very nice, especially the purfling. But I notice that there are some open seams on the back, and it would be a shame to let it deteriorate further.

Cafe member Jake Wildwood, in Rochester VT, specializes in restoring old instruments, especially bowlbacks. You can search on his name here, or look up Antebellum Instruments.

Oh what the heck... Here's my (not so great!) bowl back that he's currently working on:
http://antebelluminstruments.blogspot.com/2009/10/around-shop-again.html

Lots of good reading in there. And with it in his hands, he could probably add info that's not apparent from the photos.

Plamen Ivanov
Oct-22-2009, 1:15am
I also doubt it's German. But it is a nice looking istrument for sure.

acruzn
Oct-22-2009, 7:49am
yup, it is pretty all right. Nana was a sweetheart, for sure! Get it to Jake; he does real nice restores.