PDA

View Full Version : What do you day in a rainy day?

Rick Schmidlin
Oct-17-2009, 10:50am
Play my mandolin, watch old favorite movies and and listen to favorite music, sit by the fire and play with the cat.~o)

Tim2723
Oct-17-2009, 11:00am
Same here, except I like to listen to old radio shows. Lone Ranger, The Shadow, Amos and Andy, all that stuff. I collect them.

allenhopkins
Oct-17-2009, 2:41pm
Well, it rained today, and I played two hours at the Seneca Park Zoo's "ZooBoo" Halloween event. It was in the 40's and drizzling, but they dropped the side curtains on the pavilion, turned on the infrared heaters, and it was OK inside. Lots of families with costumed kids, despite the bad weather.

Dan Hoover
Oct-17-2009, 3:05pm
it rained here today too..all day...the last couple days..today i finally moved my daughter into her own house..finally....in the rain..listened to her fiance and his buddies talk about their deployment in iraq over some beers when we were done...one of the guys from NY told me of his visit to mandolin bros...but it's over and i can get back to the normal rainy days..of playing my mando,sitting by the pellet stove,watching a old movie and making something warm for dinner...

steve V. johnson
Oct-17-2009, 3:41pm
I have this odd tendency to put on my big wellies and some rain gear and go walking in the forest. Especially when it's a nice steady rain and not violent. I pick up debris from the creek and explore. No music or such in headphones nor earbuds, tho, just the forest.

And I go out there in dry weather much less often. Dunno what it is...

If it's violent but not life-threatening weather I find I run scales on gtr, zouk or mandolin. That's weird, too, but these feel like the natural things for me to be doing...

stv

mandroid
Oct-17-2009, 3:42pm
On the Pacific Coast , its just another day , wet half of the year, or more. we had a June-uary last summer ..
today it's get on the rain gear & ride my bike down to the Triangle Tavern and have a Pint or 3.

Coffeecup
Oct-17-2009, 4:47pm
Can't remember. It's so long since we had a rainy day.

jim_n_virginia
Oct-17-2009, 7:59pm
I clean and oil my guns and listen to Micheal Savage on the radio! LOL! :))

oh yeah and play mandolin too... :grin:

Mandoviol
Oct-17-2009, 8:08pm
Same here, except I like to listen to old radio shows. Lone Ranger, The Shadow, Amos and Andy, all that stuff. I collect them.

I'm into old time radio as well. Every week on Sunday nights, I am compelled to tune into Ed Walker on WAMU for the Big Broadcast.

I usually hole up in a comfortable chair and read, or play mando or fiddle. It's kind of funny because it's been raining here for the past two days and finally stopped this morning (it's been a nasty, cold, wet drizzle). Jim, I take it you've been enjoying good Virginia rain for the last couple of days?

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-18-2009, 12:13am
Quote from Rick - ''Play my mandolin, watch old favorite movies and and listen to favorite music, sit by the fire and play with the cat.'' . That's a pretty average day for me,lots of rain over here during the 'wet season' (from Jan.to Dec.). Other than that,i read a lot of books -Fact = lots of books on Theoretical Physics & Quantum Dynamics,which i don't understand,but the concepts amaze me (Brian Greene & Michio Kaku). Fiction = anything which takes my fancy !.
Ivan :disbelief:

KristinEliza
Oct-18-2009, 8:21am
I clean and oil my guns and listen to Micheal Savage on the radio! LOL! :))

oh yeah and play mandolin too... :grin:

Ha! Love it!

If it's a day off, I usually sit and read with some coffee...if it's a good storm, I go out on the back porch and watch the maelstrom and try not to get hit my lightening.

Mike Bunting
Oct-18-2009, 3:15pm
Think up questions to post?

Rick Schmidlin
Oct-18-2009, 3:31pm
I did as I looked at the rain that feel in front of my window to thw west the Georgia Straight Vancouver Island and to the north on the mountain tops.:grin:

JEStanek
Oct-18-2009, 3:46pm
It's been a big weekend. We had a Pumpkinfest party yesterday with lots of hearty soups, wines, ales, cheeses, deserts and what not. After two days of prep and the party, I'm ready for a cozy nap after doing all those dishes. A rainy day makes that even more desirable. I would be like Steve under other circumstances, though.

Jamie

sgarrity
Oct-18-2009, 4:12pm
It's been cold and rainy here this weekend. So I've been drinkin' beer, making chili, and pickin' my new octave mando. Got to see Tony rice last night too!

Mandoviol
Oct-18-2009, 4:51pm
Sgarrity, what kind of OM did you get? I'm still toying with the idea of getting one.

sgarrity
Oct-18-2009, 5:02pm
I got a Flatiron octave. It's got a 23.5" scale so it's bordering on being a 'zouk. So far it's been fun. My pinky finger is getting a real workout!

Sam Bush Fan!
Oct-18-2009, 5:05pm
It's raind here all week and it's cold and i'm sick but.....play my mandolin or surf the cafe

Randi Gormley
Oct-18-2009, 5:17pm
Usually I do the same as most of you -- hang around the house, pick my mandolin and drink hot tea. If it's really nasty out, I'll bake: cookies, brownies, cake; i find i write in my journal mostly on rainy days, and spend a lot of time curled up under an afghan reading. Today, though, my sister is visting so we went to a concert (guitar and mandolin -- excellent!) and then wandered over to a high-end cupcake bakery shop and hung around there eating like pigs.

lmartnla
Oct-18-2009, 5:47pm
It's not raining here for a change. After all the long summer's heat and humidity we had our second beautiful fall day in a row and the Saints won too. Family obligations made me eschew my regular Sunday jam, but family is priority too.

P Josey
Oct-18-2009, 8:03pm
While living in Vancouver on a Sunday night I would go to the Fraser Valley Bluegrass jam at the Lions Hall in Aldergrove. On Monday nights the Pacific Bluegrass and Heritage jam at the Glass Slipper... now the Ansa Club. Great way to spend rainy nights.

Coffeecup
Oct-18-2009, 9:02pm
While living in Vancouver on a Sunday night I would go to the Fraser Valley Bluegrass jam at the Lions Hall in Aldergrove. On Monday nights the Pacific Bluegrass and Heritage jam at the Glass Slipper... now the Ansa Club. Great way to spend rainy nights.

Off Topic! The OP asked about rainy days, not rainy nights. :grin:

Mark Gibbs
Oct-20-2009, 12:44am
Rainy day, dream away
Ah let the sun take a holiday
Flowers bathe an' ah see the children play
Lay back and groove on a rainy day.
Hendrix
Truly, no layin' here on a rainy day. Let's crank up the victrola, i mean computer and listen to bluegrass on the www. Great fun. I have finally found a web station that doesn't stray to far off from bluegrass very often. Then it's off to photo editing starting in Picasa 3 then maybe to Photoshop. How about uploading some photos. I like the high speed internet as i have some 8500 photos on my web page.

Stop the presses. I failed to mention a very important key ingredient to the this rainy day formula. Coffee, and lots of it. Yes, yes don't forget the coffee.

Now that the coffee is made and the work is done let's have some fun. How about learning some new songs or working on some old ones. Recently i have learned but not perfected William Tell Overture Finale, Nola (the first 3 parts)
The 4th part is going to be tough. Fortunately my partner plays the 4th part very well on her accordion so i take the first 3 and then she takes over for the grand finale. I have been trying to learn some new licks for Tici Tico. Always nice to have some variations. Sunflower Schottische is one of my favorite songs to doodle around with lately. I'll never play it as good a Curtis Buckhannon. I like to take sound clips and play them back at 1/2 speed and learn the licks note for note. The problem with this is you can't always figure out the fingering.

Well this takes me up to lunch time or beyond, hopefully it has stopped raining by now. Time to go outside and smell the fresh air.

Lefty J.
Oct-25-2009, 6:59am
What do I do when it's raining?
I go out and walk under the rain, until I'm soaking wet
Then I get back home before the cold breeze starts.

Or, or, I stay home and open the windows. Then I fall asleep reading a book, seated just by the window.