PDA

View Full Version : New MK Octave Mando

Professor PT
Aug-30-2004, 12:06am
I just noticed on the MK website that they now offer the F-style octave mandolin. I know it's probably early to ask, but has anyone played one yet? Also, how much are they going for? I've been thinking about getting an octave mando, but I've always been partial to the F-style instruments. Other F-style octaves are way out of my price range. I own an MK mando, and it really sounds great; I lucked out and got one of the sweeter sounding ones.

Gerry Cassidy
Aug-30-2004, 10:41am
Hi!

I see the Elderly price is somewhere around $1400+ List and $1045 actual.

One of these might be worth giving a try, huh? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Professor PT
Aug-30-2004, 11:33am
I suppose the inevitable question is: what other octaves could you get for the same price? Certainly not F-styles, but I'm sure there are more in that range. Weber makes the teardrop-shaped one, which I've played.

Gerry Cassidy
Aug-30-2004, 12:29pm
Good point. I have seen quite a few very nice 'Teardrops' in this price range, or less. The Weber Sage is nice. Moon, Peterson, etc. Still, I've yet to see an F Style anywhere near this price. Then again, I don't get around very much... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Jonathan James
Aug-30-2004, 2:46pm
you can get a tear-drop Trinity College octave with case for about $350 on eBay.

steve V. johnson
Aug-31-2004, 1:49pm
There are a couple of fellows around building Florentine octave mandos, one guy I learned about here on the Cafe, who lives in the Minneapolis area. Aside from the Weber, those are the only F's I know of.

I played two Weber F's in the Chicago area, one at the Old Town School of Folk Music (chocolate brown, white binding, f-holes) and another in Evanston at Hog Eye Music (a maple, nat'l finish, with an oval hole), and neither of them were set up at all, terrible to play. Both were also priced firmly at the Weber MSRP, tho both had been in stock for "over a year" each and the Hog Eye one for much longer than that.

I dream of having Weber build me one, but that probably won't happen soon at all. <G>

There are LOTs of nice A- and 'celtic'- shaped OMs out there for between $1k and $2k. I would expect the MK to sell (at that price) on looks alone compared to the others. ... Or to be practically discounted way below that price.

stv

Mando Medic
Sep-01-2004, 6:15am
I just received two MK Octave mandolins yesterday. They are not bad, about what I thought they would be. Average volume and good tone. Typical MK finish, a little heavy perhaps. They play in tune and because they are solid top, sound like they need to be played in. I will keep one for myself so I can do a review on it as it's played in and sell the other one. I'll keep you posted. Kenc

Gerry Cassidy
Sep-02-2004, 5:39pm
Thanks Ken, please do keep us posted. I can't find much more than what Kelly is posting as far as info goes. A first hand, from a player will be great!

erick
Oct-10-2004, 12:47am
I played both the MK F -style OM and the Trinity College at a local store recently. I wanted to like the Mk more because of the look and the neck, but the Trinity College 325 just sounded better , especially when I put slightly heavier gauge strings on it. Also, the F holes on the MK were cut quite sloppily. The overall build quality of the TC impressed me more than the MK, especially for an instrument selling for less than half the price of the MK.