PDA

View Full Version : Question about values

Barbara Shultz
Oct-13-2009, 9:45am
How much do you think surface finish cracking (the kind usually gotten from temp changes, for example) affect the resale value of a vintage (unsure of exact age, newer than 1954) Martin A style (bent top) mandolin? If that is the only issue on the mando....

I'm not trying to sell one... my fellow bandmate and I were discussing this, and have differing opinions, so I thought I'd ask some more folks!

Patrick Market
Oct-13-2009, 10:06am
Although appearance is important, I'd want to hear it.

Big Joe
Oct-13-2009, 10:26am
In an older Martin I would be concerned if there were not signs of the finish cracking. That is a normal part of the drying of Nitro-Cullulose lacquer. If vintage instruments from Martin or Gibson do not have the right pattern of cracking in the finish, it causes one to question the authenticity of the finish. I like the crazing myself. In any case, that does not generally reduce the value of the instrument and is considered normal wear for an instrument over 50 years old.

Barbara Shultz
Oct-13-2009, 10:30am
Personally, I wouldn't consider the slight crazing to diminish the resale value either, but I'm no expert! That's why I wanted some more opinions! We're talking about a mandolin that has been played, and is one for playing, not one in a pristine condition that has never been used, just preserved! For me, how something sounds and plays, is always first consideration!

Ken Olmstead
Oct-13-2009, 10:33am
Big Joe is right (as he often is), on a "Vintage" instrument, I have no problems with it showing signs of age in the finish. I am more concerned with the originality and structural integrity of the instrument. Finish checking is part of what I am paying for!

No if it was showing up on your beautiful new Collins Oval, that would be reason for concern!

allenhopkins
Oct-13-2009, 10:58am
You say "newer than 1954"; what's the serial number?

Also, second the motion about finish "checking" being fairly normal. Most of my pre-1960 instruments exhibit it to some degree. On the other hand, when you see instruments advertised on the vintage market, the sellers do attach a premium to those with minimal finish wear or checking.

I just bought a 1920 Style A and there's some finish wear, but no checking. So I'd say it's not invariable.

Earl Gamage
Oct-13-2009, 10:31pm
Believe it or not, the value should go up.

The reason I say that is I foolishly sold an old '60's Fender bass for a very good price to a music store, they said it would sell for top dollar because it was crazed.

Mike Romkey
Oct-13-2009, 11:34pm
And I thought this was a discussion about ethics, Barb!

The only thing I have to add is that I was surprised to see crazing on some relatively new, high end varnish mandolins (and not ones that had been intentionally "distressed"). It's a fact of life.

Michael Lewis
Oct-13-2009, 11:45pm
Generally, the thicker the finish the more tendency it has to check. Often, very thin finishes do not check, in spite of being old.

Steve L
Oct-14-2009, 7:10am
I have an old Epiphone Olympic solid body guitar (Double cut Melody Maker shape) with finish checking and tangerine peel in the sunburst. I think it looks great. It would almost look strange without the blems.

Rick Lindstrom
Oct-14-2009, 9:22am
I would think that the answer is dependent on who you are selling to (or who is buying).

Some people are really interested in perfection, others just want to play.

I'm in the "just play it" camp myself.

Rick

pigpen
Oct-14-2009, 10:00am
I have an old Gibson oval A that has some finish crazing (noticable while holding it, but not from any distance). I like it, and prefer it to a "pristine" finish, but I kinda prefer the old mojo thing to any collector-worthy/like new condition. As a contrast to conventional thinking, I kinda want my old mandolin to look just a teensy bit old, rather than brand new. It seems most would pay more for the perfect one. So, my preference works out well for both my asthetic taste and my money-pinching heart.

lenf12
Oct-14-2009, 12:56pm
Generally, the thicker the finish the more tendency it has to check. Often, very thin finishes do not check, in spite of being old.

Given that thicker finishes tend to check as Michael correctly observed, would it make sense to try to "thin" a very checked thick finish on a 1956 Gibson F-12 for the purpose of improving tone and volume? I have toyed with the idea of getting it refinished, even with fp varnish, but I don't think the expense would be justified if I should ever want to sell it. Is it possible to carefully thin out the finish with fine sand paper (1000 to 1500 grit) and gain some sonic improvements?

Randy Wood has already regraduated the top and replaced the tone bars which made a dramatic improvement but I suspect there is more to be gained in the sound. Would such a procedure negatively affect the value of the instrument. I should add that the instrument is not original. It most likely went back to Gibson in the 1970's and got an F-5 maple neck replacement and was likely oversprayed. Any opinions to share would be greatly appreciated.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL