PDA

View Full Version : Stiver mandolins?

PickinTyme
Oct-12-2009, 2:55pm
I just purchased a used Stiver F this year. Any comments/info about other Stiver mandos would be appreciated. How do think they stack up to Gibson, Collings, Weber?

Chunky But Funky
Oct-12-2009, 3:04pm
What information are you looking for specifically? Lou lives in Northeastern PA. He does most of the vintage mando repair work for Steve at AMW. He did a fine repair on the loose brace on my 1918 A4 as well as serviced the tuners to make them functional once again.

There are some pics of Stiverfest held at Acoustic Music Works here in Pgh a couple of years ago. Scroll about 7/8's of the way down this (http://www.acousticmusicworks.com/events.html) page for pics of the event. Steve also has a list of pre-owned Stiver's sold through his shop here (http://www.acousticmusicworks.com/mandolins.html#stiver).

They are distributed exclusively through Elderly Instruments (http://elderly.com/brand/90N_stiver.html).

I want one! That's all I've got for you!

Doug

fatt-dad
Oct-12-2009, 3:21pm
Had an A5 model.
Sold my A5 model (to get funds for an F5 from another builder).
Regret the sale.

Great mandolins. But then you have one and (should) already know it.

f-d

PickinTyme
Oct-12-2009, 7:27pm
This is definitely the best that I have ever owned. I owned a Dearstone D1a and a Ratliff F prior. I just wanted some feedback from other owners because you don't see any Stivers in my area.

gabe
Oct-12-2009, 7:47pm
I have heard an A style and an F style Stiver. Both mandolins were exceptionally loud and clear. If I ever came across a lefty, I just might bite.
Gabe

Bluegrass Picker 1958
Oct-12-2009, 8:00pm
I have heard and played on several Stivers,, never seen a bad one,, Lou makes GREAT mandolins.. If you havn't fell in love yet,,, you soon will.

Bill Van Liere
Oct-12-2009, 8:05pm
I agree, I have never heard a bad Stiver. I live about an hour from Elderly, so there are plenty of Stivers around here, not a bad one in the bunch.

Yes they are LOUD

barry k
Oct-12-2009, 8:35pm
Every Stiver I had played was great. Lou's only problem is same as mine, we dont charge enough for our mandolins. He had recently just increased his prices after about 20 years of building, deservely so. He should be getting
10 K for one of his "F"s Great builder.

jim simpson
Oct-13-2009, 10:42pm
The only one I've ever played belongs to Danny Stewart of Remington Ryde of PA. Danny has had his a long time and wow, is it a cannon! I think Danny has had scroll envy but stays with his Stiver A as his main axe. Danny really has the cross picking style down.

jim simpson
Oct-13-2009, 10:47pm
Here's a photo of Danny with his Stiver:

Willie Poole
Oct-14-2009, 9:16pm
If you have a satillite dish and get the RFD-TV channel the host of The Cumberland Highlanders show , "Doc" mercer, plays a Stiver and it has that Loarish sound...Every now and then he teams up with Frank Wakefield and his Loar on the show.....I have never played one but did go by his shop many years ago and looked at a few mandos, I have never heard any bad reports about any of his instruments....When Randy Graham played mando with the Bluegrass Cardinials he owned at least one Stiver and I met him back satge and he said he was selling one but I didn`t have the funds then, and it was a hoss....Willie

swampstomper
Oct-15-2009, 2:13am
I've jammed across from Danny Stewart at his famous (at least in the NY/PA/NJ circuit) festival jam tent. Yes, his Stiver A really cuts it and has super tone. Danny plays with a capo a lot, and it sure changed my opinion of capoes -- hey if it sounds that good I can't object.

Jimmy Kittle
Oct-17-2009, 5:22am
I played an exceptional Stiver for 12 years. I traded it to a friend for another Stiver as he had always liked the tone of mine better. I sold that one earlier this year to buy a Buckeye and don't regret the decision at all. The Stiver was a great mandolin and would hold it own with any mandolin out there. It was the only good mandolin I had ever owned, but after I heard a couple Buckeyes I knew that is what I wanted,

Andy Alexander
Oct-17-2009, 7:49am
I've jammed across from Danny Stewart at his famous (at least in the NY/PA/NJ circuit) festival jam tent. Yes, his Stiver A really cuts it and has super tone. Danny plays with a capo a lot, and it sure changed my opinion of capoes -- hey if it sounds that good I can't object.

Danny is a good friend of mine. I'll let you in on a little secret. Danny can play fine without a capo. He uses one so he can lay it on the dash of his car and park up close in the handicap spots at festivals. <g>

Danny runs the NEPA Bluegrass Festival in PA. It's designed to be a festival for pickers. It is held on the nicest festival grounds I know of and is just off of I-81. It is the 1st weekend in June usually. Check it out.

jim simpson
Oct-17-2009, 9:45pm
"Danny can play fine without a capo. He uses one so he can lay it on the dash of his car and park up close in the handicap spots at festivals" - Andy

Andy,
That's hysterical!!
I took lessons from Tracy Rice many years ago - he was in Sunnyside of PA for many years. Tracy is a great mandolin and guitar player. He would use a capo for certain tunes where he wanted to play off of open strings. He told me he was aware of the capo police so he used a low profile Paige style. Tracy also plays the cross-picking style really well.
Tell Danny I said Hey.
Jim

Bill Bradshaw
Oct-17-2009, 11:45pm
My recently acquired 1993 Stiver A sounds just fine compared to other makes including all those you mentioned and several others I've had it around. It's no slouch and I really like it. I'm guessing you'll like yours too. Have fun with it.

Bill

DorothyD
Oct-18-2009, 12:41am
Here's a picture I posted in the Social Groups ... Stiver Mandolins. It is, by far, the best mandolin I own.
Dorothy

DorothyD
Oct-18-2009, 12:46am
Hi Again!

If you click on the picture I posted above, it will get larger!!

Dorothy

Steve-o
Jan-31-2010, 3:23pm
Just got back from playing a whole wall of mandos at Elderly and a used Stiver F was the best sounding of the bunch. Great volume, punch, and playability. I've played several Stivers now, and they all played very easily and sounded great. Someone is going to make a happy purchase there. NFI.

Jill McAuley
Jan-31-2010, 11:40pm
Here's a picture I posted in the Social Groups ... Stiver Mandolins. It is, by far, the best mandolin I own.
Dorothy

Dorothy,
Lovely mandolin, and that Claddagh truss rod cover ROCKS!

Cheers,
Jill