PDA

View Full Version : Prices

Littlestrings27
Oct-11-2009, 9:19pm
Hey yall,

What is the best online store that has the best prices on strings and things? I havent had the time to look around and I was curious where you dudes go to get your threads. Thanks!!!:mandosmiley:

Greg H.
Oct-11-2009, 10:31pm
Well, of course the best depends on how close you are (i.e. if you don't have to pay for shipping), but. .. .if you're going to be paying for shipping anyway the prices are:

First Quality Music:
http://www.firstqualitymusic.com/sf_51/c_5.aspx

Elderly:
http://www.elderly.com/accessories/cats/STMN.html

Mandolin Central (Tony Williamson's web site):
http://www.mandolincentral.com/cgi-bin/mandolincentral/store02/perlshop.cgi#mando

Greg Boyd's:
http://gregboyd.com/accessories.html?category_key=1&family=Mandolins

These are my favorite spots anyway. . . .
`

OldSausage
Oct-11-2009, 11:06pm
Also don't overlook the obvious Amazon.com - if you already have an Amazon prime account shipping is free, so although they charge a dollar more for the string sets, it can work out a little cheaper depending on quantities.

Jill McAuley
Oct-12-2009, 8:22am
For strings I usually go with cafe sponser Just Strings - www.juststrings.com

For other stuff, including mandolins, I like:

The Mandolin Store - www.themandolinstore.com

Elderly Instruments - www.elderly.com

both of the above are also cafe sponsers.

Cheers,
Jill

montana
Oct-12-2009, 10:44am
I just bought 4 sets of GHS mando strings from Sweetwater for $19.96 and free shipping.

AlanN
Oct-12-2009, 10:53am
BP Strings (https://www.bpstrings.com/indexx.html)

allenhopkins
Oct-12-2009, 3:38pm
Now let me offer a slightly contrarian viewpoint: if you in fact live in "Mandoville USA," it might make sense to buy some of this stuff locally. I'm a firm believer in keeping local dealers as healthy as they can be, and buying strings, picks, straps etc. locally is one way to do that. You want Local Guy Music Inc. to be in business when you need repairs, set-up, trade-ins, adjustments etc., but if all the business goes to Cheaper Stuff Inc. over the internet, Local Guy's going to fold up and go into custom ceramics or karate instruction.

You pay a bit more buying locally, as a rule. But you get the hands-on opportunity, the chance to talk and get advice, to build a bit of a musical relationship with someone who may recognize you as a steady customer, even give you a bit of a discount. I buy locally anything I can get locally; only when it's an item no one in Rochester has, do I go to an on-line seller. I've done that for a variety of items -- to Elderly, Musician's Friend, Lark In the Morning, and others -- and have found them very satisfactory. But I do like to "shop down the street" whenever I can.

Just my 2¢ and no criticism of others who do it differently.

CES
Oct-12-2009, 4:23pm
Ditto what Allen said. There is one store locally that I primarily buy my music from, as they have an awesome selection of music but mostly junky instruments; one that I tend to buy instruments from; one that I buy strings and occasionally music from (and maybe someday a Martin 000 or OM), and another local chain I always check out but haven't bought anything but headphones from yet.

The one I've bought instruments from has the best selection of strings and also the best selection, of "real" instruments. I think they overprice their used instruments a little, but their new stuff (and especially strings and lower end acoustic/electric guitars and amps) they price pretty much on par with Guitar Center. They don't make as much, but figure they'd rather get slim profit than no profit (and then have to deal with your whining when the big box special's neck is warped and the intonation off)...I've gotten to be friends with the repair guy who's always done a good job for a very reasonable price, and they gave me a pretty nice discount on the last guitar I bought there.

Don't get me wrong, I buy stuff online fairly frequently as well, but I try to only do that when I can't get the local guys to get me something I want, which is pretty rare. Now, if you're either geographically isolated, a recluse, or just don't have any local stores worth doing business with (there's one of those around, too), I'd second the links posted above as at least good places to start. Just Strings and Elderly will also often get you a better deal if you buy by the dozen or 1/2 dozen, and I've always been dealt fairly with at Elderly. I'll also throw Janet Davis Music out there, too...

Paul Kotapish
Oct-12-2009, 4:41pm
Ditto on the support-your-local-music-store (when you can) suggestion.

I've discovered that if I buy in sufficient bulk--20 or 30 sets at a time--several of my local stores are willing to match--or nearly match--whatever online price I bring them. I'm happy to pay a little more to support a local store, but I go through mandolin and guitar strings fast enough to need that deep discount.

The local dealer doesn't make as much profit per set when they discount strings that way, but it doesn't cost them anything to add my order to their regular supply order, they make enough profit from the bulk sale to justify the minor hassle, and they keep me walking in the door to occasionally buy other things, too. I don't really need to keep that many sets on hand these days, but I get through them all eventually, and with modern gassed-and-sealed packaging, the strings don't deteriorate or tarnish over time.

When I'm too busy to get to the store, I've had good experiences with online orders from both Elderly and FQM.

mrmando
Oct-12-2009, 4:42pm
I havent had the time to look around and I was curious where you dudes go to get your threads.
Usually the thrift store, except for socks and underwear.

fatt-dad
Oct-12-2009, 6:41pm
I just placed an order with juststrings.com. Had to pay shipping though, so Sweetwater would have been the better deal. I did make my order though, so it's one less thing to think about. I like both places. Well, I like Elderly too. . .

f-d

jim_n_virginia
Oct-12-2009, 6:54pm
it might make sense to buy some of this stuff locally. I'm a firm believer in keeping local dealers as healthy as they can be, and buying strings, picks, straps etc. locally is one way to do that.

I agree buy local! I buy mandolins outside of my area only because there aren't any decent ones around here but strings and things I buy locally. Even if it cost's me a little more I will go local if I can.

Support your local music shop! :mandosmiley:

Greg H.
Oct-12-2009, 7:30pm
Ok, but I do buy from the local store it's just that Tony Williamson with Mandolin Central: http://www.mandolincentral.com/cgi-bin/mandolincentral/store02/perlshop.cgi#mando is just 30 minutes away.

F-2 Dave
Oct-12-2009, 8:20pm
Now let me offer a slightly contrarian viewpoint: if you in fact live in "Mandoville USA," it might make sense to buy some of this stuff locally. I'm a firm believer in keeping local dealers as healthy as they can be, and buying strings, picks, straps etc. locally is one way to do that. You want Local Guy Music Inc. to be in business when you need repairs, set-up, trade-ins, adjustments etc., but if all the business goes to Cheaper Stuff Inc. over the internet, Local Guy's going to fold up and go into custom ceramics or karate instruction.

You pay a bit more buying locally, as a rule. But you get the hands-on opportunity, the chance to talk and get advice, to build a bit of a musical relationship with someone who may recognize you as a steady customer, even give you a bit of a discount. I buy locally anything I can get locally; only when it's an item no one in Rochester has, do I go to an on-line seller. I've done that for a variety of items -- to Elderly, Musician's Friend, Lark In the Morning, and others -- and have found them very satisfactory. But I do like to "shop down the street" whenever I can.

Just my 2¢ and no criticism of others who do it differently.

If my "shop down the street" was Bernunzio's I'd be there every chance i got.

allenhopkins
Oct-12-2009, 9:55pm
If my "shop down the street" was Bernunzio's I'd be there every chance i got.

Yeah, you know I gotta stay out of there -- and also Stutzman's, (http://www.stutzmansguitarcenter.com/) where I've been spending money for the last 40+ years!

Good examples: drop into Bernunzio's to see the Eastman traveling roadshow, walk out $3K poorer with an Eastman DGM-1 and a Tom Morgan Autoharp; drop into Stutzman's to pick up a repair, walk out $1.5K poorer with a Martin Style A mandolin and a Celebrated Benary banjo. All that between April and now.

A set of strings can be incredibly expensive at a local shop, if you "just sit down to try a few instruments" and can't keep the plastic in your pocket...

Greg H.
Oct-12-2009, 10:14pm
You think that's dangerous. . . .I go into Tony Williamson's and he's got a Randy Wood (or 3), a Duff (or more), a Gibson MM, a Wade (or more), and 3 Loars (and no, I'm not meaning "The Loar" .....I'm talking about F5 Loars from the early '20s). I'd be in danger of losing some real money very fast except I would know it would end up in the hands of a divorce lawyer if I did.

Tom F
Oct-16-2009, 12:07pm
Another plug for buying from your local music store.

Jim Kirkland
Oct-16-2009, 11:40pm
If you are a regular at a local store, you will usually get a discount. Most will also offer 2 for one strings.

Steelee
Oct-17-2009, 6:59am
Not to mention just price, but variety. In V.B. Florida, the only music shop in town does not even carry D'addario strings. My flattop guitar friend pays 9 bucks and change for a set of Martin strings.

Elderly Music is not far from my new home town (and a cafe Sponsor). I just ordered stings from them. For my friend, Elderly carries 41 different kinds of Martin acoustic guitar strings alone. So I ordered 5 different sets of Martin acoustic guitar strings for my friend to try. The strings he chose were priced from $3.85 to $5.25.

I don't think you can go wrong supporting a Cafe sponsor like Elderly. Plus, if my Flatiron needed a repair, it would never go to my local music shop. It would go to Elderly, or someone that is not busy selling cornets and drum sets.

So, not only is price an issue, but variety.

allenhopkins
Oct-17-2009, 2:46pm
Lee's got a point. If there's no suitable local store, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

On the other hand -- if you tell the local guy that you're a mandolin player who buys a half dozen sets of D'Addarios per year, and that you've got a friend who has similar needs, many times the store will make an effort to order things for you, and give you a price on a multiple purchase. Doesn't always work; doesn't hurt to ask. I agree that I wouldn't trust a shop that mostly fixes clarinet mouthpieces, to fix a side crack in my mandolin.