PDA

View Full Version : Let me ask this about Heiden.

Thomas
Feb-10-2004, 5:01pm
I see them advertised for $10-12K but have never seen one or seen any "name" play one. Do I not get out much or am I missing something else? Don't worry about being gentle, I can take it. Just an honest question. And, please don't say "it's what the market dictates." I want to know why, if that's true.

Lee
Feb-10-2004, 5:30pm
The price, you're asking?
Look at it this way; a plumber charges $50/hr and it takes a few hundred hours of hand labor to create a mandolin from wood.

Jim M.
Feb-10-2004, 5:35pm
I've played one Heiden. It was a beautiful instrument and had killer tone and volume. I played it along with a Gilchrist, Loar and Monteleone. The Monteleone was my favorite, but I liked the Heiden second best. Of course, on a different day my ears might have heard them differently. The Heiden costs less than half of a Monteleone, but there was also a killer Ron Cole I played that costs maybe a third of what the Heiden costs. I'd buy the Cole over the Heiden only because $10K is too much for me but I wouldn't say it's too much for the Heiden.

UncleNorm
Feb-10-2004, 8:50pm
Andy Leftwitch (fiddler in Skagg's Band) uses a Heiden in 4 cuts on his new C.D. John Reischman uses a Heiden as his back up to his Loar. A lot of people I know that have Heidens play more for fun than "profit."

mandobsessed
Feb-10-2004, 9:05pm
Heyden mandolins are indeed beautiful. Because he is from my neck of the woods (BC, Canada) I get to hear and play a lot of his instruments. They play very well and are almost too light. (carbon fiber truss rods I believe)

THey have a unique yet classic sound with a powerful low mid range and bass, very "dark". The tone seems to be quite consistent from instrument to instrument. I prefer a more balanced tone but that is more my taste then a criticism on Heyden tone. I'm sure he could build one to my sound specifications had I the $$ fot one.

Charlie Ayers
Feb-11-2004, 1:38am
Andrew Collins plays one; you can hear it on the Marc Roy/Andrew Collins CD "Likewise". I presume he also plays that mando on the Creaking Tree String Quartet CD. I think Heiden instruments are fabulous.

Charlie

8strings
Feb-11-2004, 2:01am
I took delivery of my Heiden F5 only a couple of months ago. The relatively long wait was definitely worth it. It is difficult to describe what a wonderful instrument I received from Michael. It almost seems like an intuitive human being, responding to your individual input. It can roar like a tiger or play smooth pretty old folk songs. The finish is impecable and it even smells wonderfull everytime you open the (Pegasus) case. Went to Mandolin Brothers recently to play a few other high end instruments but nothing compared to my Heiden.

Ralf, Sydney AUS

craigmurray
Feb-11-2004, 8:56am
Emory Lestor is apparently having one built for him.

64lusso
Feb-11-2004, 10:30am
I just received my new Heiden last Friday, it did take almost three years from the time I ordered it, Michael originally thought it would be about 2 and half. The price has gone up considerably since I ordered mine but at the time he was committing to a firm price when you placed the order, most builders don't do that anymore and I know that the fall of the US $ bit him a little on my instrument.
I have to agree with Ralf and disagree with mandobessed. I don't find it's any lighter than an other F model I have had my hands on and according to the information sheet I got with it, the non-adjustable truss rod is comprised of two thin tempered steel bars with a wood spacer in between. Tone wise it's anything but dark, the amazing thing to me is how good it sounds already, almost like it's already opened up. The high end sparkles but has enough mid to it to round it out nicely and the low end is tight, not muddy and the volume is pretty strong also. Michael says the low end and volume will improve with time so if it does and it opens up a little more this will be one fantastic mando.
My request to Michael was that I wanted it to look like a Loar and sound and play like something John Reischman would be happy with. I was listening to The Tony Rice Unit Backwaters Cd on the way into work this morning after just playing my new Heiden at home for about 45 minutes and I was amazed at how familiar John's Mando sounded even though I hadn't played the CD in at least a year. I guess I should say the tone sounded familar, my playing doesn't even begin to approach John's but at least the tone is a little closer now.

mandobsessed
Feb-11-2004, 11:41am
64lusso I didn't mean for my post to sound critical of Heyden mandos, they are truly wonderfull instruments. When you start trying to describe tone it becomes difficult.

Thanks for the info on the truss rods BTW.

Any chance of Heyden owners posting pics of their mandos. Every one I have seen has been beautiful.

64lusso
Feb-11-2004, 1:38pm
Steve, Yes tone is hard to describe but you said they were 'very dark' and the first thoughts in my mind when hearing mine for the first time were 'bright and balanced' which I would think would be a long way from very dark no matter who was listening to it. However, I have only played two Heidens and the other was many years ago and you say you have played a lot so maybe they have run that way as a rule.
Since my first post above I checked the classifieds and see that an LA Doctor that seems to have lots of high end mandos for sale also has a Heiden for sale. Don't know him or the instrument but just thought I ought to remind all that before springing for something like this you definitly need to play it or at least have some sort or ironclad return guarentee as what's 'bright and balanced' to me could well be the same sound that is 'very dark' to someone else.
Jay

Charlie Ayers
Feb-11-2004, 9:49pm
My '98 or '99 had a carbon rod; I thought it was lighter than my other F5s, in weight. It had an Englemann top, and was very resonsive with great overtones, even though brand new.

Charlie

JAK
Feb-11-2004, 11:29pm
Just checked and the Heiden advertised on the classifieds by the "LA Doc" is gone. It was used, cost $10,000, went fast, so they must be darn good mandolins!

jasona
Feb-12-2004, 1:14am
Emory Lestor is apparently having one built for him.
...as is, I believe, Craig Murray! ;)

Is the wait killing you yet Craig?

craigmurray
Feb-12-2004, 9:47am
It is tough waiting. #Fortunatly I upgraded my Korean mando for a Breedlove to tie me over until the Heiden is ready for action. It has been 18 months now, and from the sounds of it, it might be another 18 months before it is ready. #At least that gives me some more time to make some money to pay for the thing (which is tough for a poor student, a guy has to mark a crap load of papers to pay for a Heiden). #Heiden is currently doing some work on Andrew Collins mandolin, and lent him an A model with a varnish finish that he built in 2000 or 2001. I spent about 45 minutes playing it last Saturday between his Foggy Hogtown Boys gig and his gig with Marc Roy. #It is amazing how much this mandolin feels and sounds like Andrew's F5. #That certainly makes me feel like I made the right choice in builders. If my new mando sounds and feels anything like Andrews I will be a very happy camper. #Now if only I could play the thing like Andrew. #
Craig

Rooster
Feb-12-2004, 10:32am
I had a mid-life crisis in Feb. 03 and bought a Heiden Artist that was advertised here on the cafe. I haven't looked back and have enjoyed every opportunity to play it. Since that time I have also had the opportunity to play a couple of Loars, Gilcrists, one Nuggett, Gibson Fern, Bush, Lawson and MM. I love mandolins so I thought they were all wonderful instruments but each different in their own good way. If I had the dough, I'd try to get one of each but I'll just have to dream on. Anyway, the Heiden is right in there with them all in terms of quality and tone. It's also easy on the eyes as we say here in the South. I won't say one is better than the other because it all comes down to every individuals ear and playing style. I will say I am a satisfied customer and greatly admire Heiden's work.

Charlie Ayers
Feb-12-2004, 10:50am
I think the Heiden in the classifieds is still there, on the 2nd page.

Charlie

64lusso
Feb-12-2004, 2:10pm
Craig,
After I ordered mine and paid the deposit I just sort of forgot about it and e-mailed Michael about once a year to see how things were going so I didn't push him very hard and I don't know him well enough to advise whether he would respond to more frequent encouragement or not. I ordered it in May of 01 and he estimated delivery as 9/02 when I ordered it. Mine's dated 9/03 on the label although he just shipped it to me last week I could have had it a little sooner but I was waiting for him to finish another with a little harder top and a two piece back to see which one would work the best for me. I know Michael had some health concerns both with himself and his Mother that slowed him down some over the last year so maybe you are not quite as far away as you think from getting your own. It really sounds good for a new, virtually unplayed mandolin, it will be worth both the wait and the financial sacrifice.
About the weight I guess I should weigh it to see but I don't have any real sensitive scales around the house, mine has a Adirondack top, the metal truss rods and Waverly tuners which may account for my perception that it's no lighter than any other F I've come in contact with.
Jay

jasona
Feb-12-2004, 3:36pm
Hi Craig!

Glad to hear that you like the consistency of Heiden's design. One of the things I loved about playing Andrew's mandolin was how naturally you hand falls to the sweet spot--there is no fighting the bridge or edge of the mandolin. And the neck design/radius was very ergonomic (although I have quickly adapted to a wider neck, as I assume have you with the Breedlove). I hope you get the Heiden soon!

(As an aside: was the Apitius that Marc played on the album the same one Oliver gave Andrew to refinish? That thing has so much tone it feels like I've fallen into it when I crank it up during the drive home! Man, I wish I was back in Toronto right now!)

craigmurray
Feb-12-2004, 3:58pm
Jay
I too have been reluctant in bugging Michael. I am sure that builders hate the constant nagging from anxious customers. As you say it will be well worth the wait. Thanks for posting your thoughts on the new mando. I hope you enjoy it.

Jason
Indeed the mando that Marc plays on the "Likewise" album is that Apitius. I absolutely love the quilted maple on the back of that mando. It actually belonged to Brad Keller of the Creaking Tree, and it will likely make you sick to know that it was stolen a few weeks ago (check the "stolen/lost instruments" section on the cafe.
Craig

jasona
Feb-13-2004, 12:00am
I was afraid it was the same mandolin. What a shame, because it must remain in the hands of a recording artist with that tone. Hopefully they wil track it down--its hard to hide a mandolin of that stature in the pawn shops off Queen St. E.

Cary Fagan
Mar-01-2004, 9:44pm
I've played Andrew Collins' Heiden many times as he's my teacher. (You reading this, Andrew?) It is such a beautiful instrument; you just have to touch it and it sings. Amazing sustain. Exquisitely made. The very radiused fretboard (a special request, I think) is amazingly playable. I also played an A Heiden that Andrew had on loan and it was just as good.

Course I couldn't make it sound anything like Andrew can.

Greg Saer
Mar-01-2004, 11:01pm
I recieved my Heiden from Michael a few months back and I find it to be of the highest quality. The tone is deep, woody with bright, articulate highs. He is a first class builder and a first class guy. The high points of the mandolin are the tone, volume and most of all the playability.