PDA

View Full Version : Marvin mandolins?

jimogie
Oct-04-2009, 11:48am
I had a very quick look at an old mandolin at a flea market yesterday. The seller estimated it was from the 1930s. The maker appeared to be 'Marvin', from a fancy cursive logo (definitely distinct from the standard 'Martin' logo). It had old strings on it that had been tuned a couple months ago, and since then it had been sitting in the case. The strings were pretty dead, but it was still in tune and had a nice sound.

But I've been searching the web, and I can find no reference to a mandolin maker called 'Marvin'. Does anyone have any idea whether that is a real brand, or perhaps whether I misread it?

Thanks,

jim

MikeEdgerton
Oct-04-2009, 8:27pm
Perhaps it said Marwin (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29880&highlight=marwin) not Marvin? If you follow that link just ignore the statement that Kay made the Strad-O-Lins, they didn't.

jimogie
Oct-06-2009, 9:11pm
Ah, I bet so. Thank you very much. Any tips on how to figure out a fair price for a 1930s Marwin (assuming I get info like a serial number to verify vintage)?

allenhopkins
Oct-06-2009, 11:47pm
Well, the other thread seems to establish pretty conclusively that the Marwin was made by Harmony. If so, you're very unlikely to find a serial number that dates it accurately.

You might want to do a search on selling prices for pre-war Harmony mandolins. I've seen them anywhere from less than $100, up to perhaps $300+ for a really exceptional one, in terms of appearance and condition.

If you could post a picture of the Marwin, some of the more informed Cafe members might be able to narrow the range down.

MikeEdgerton
Oct-07-2009, 7:36am
Along with Allen's suggestion of a picture, look inside and see if you see any stamped numbers as well. We're looking specifically for a number like F-32 or S-41. It may or may not be inside a circle and it may or may not be there.