PDA

View Full Version : Fingers Sticking to String When Lifting Off

gnordenstam
Sep-30-2009, 1:39pm
I'm a new mandolin player. I find that when I'm playing a melody and lifting my fingers off a string, it rings. It seems like the string "sticks" to my finger tip when I'm lifting off and it gets played. What am I doing wrong? Too much pressure on the fretted string?

Thanks,
--Garry

John Flynn
Sep-30-2009, 2:01pm
A tiny bit of that is normal and unavoidable. If it is very noticeable, you could be pulling off the string (two-string course) "sideways" a little, meaning perpendicular to the string as you pull off, so are actually giving the string a bit of a "brush" in the act of pulling off. You should be pressing your finger straight into the string and pushing it straight into the fretboard to fret a note and pulling the finger straight off to unfret. See if that helps.

I should note there is an "ornament" technique to intentionally ring the string on the pull off by pulling off sideways, but that is another story...

gnordenstam
Sep-30-2009, 10:01pm
Thanks, I'll give that a try.
--Garry

goldtopper
Oct-01-2009, 5:35am
Avoid eating cotton candy to playing!:grin:

pigpen
Oct-01-2009, 9:08am
It might be too simplistic, but my strings get sticky when I don't change them soon enough. When I was a new player and a little scared of changing strings, that occurred pretty darn often.

On another tack, my rule for myself is that if I have the slightest thought that I am using too much pressure, I probably am. Especially when I am more tense (ie, I get the nod at a jam), I press pretty hard, or at least much harder than I need to. I think I get the best tone, and also play more smoothly and quickly, when I use just enough pressure to fret the note cleanly.

gnordenstam
Oct-01-2009, 5:39pm
It might be too simplistic, but my strings get sticky when I don't change them soon enough. When I was a new player and a little scared of changing strings, that occurred pretty darn often.

On another tack, my rule for myself is that if I have the slightest thought that I am using too much pressure, I probably am. Especially when I am more tense (ie, I get the nod at a jam), I press pretty hard, or at least much harder than I need to. I think I get the best tone, and also play more smoothly and quickly, when I use just enough pressure to fret the note cleanly.

Hmmm, these are the original strings. I've had the mando for about 6 weeks and have played it almost every day. I am a little afraid of changing strings, but maybe I'll work up the courage to try it myself.

And Goldtopper - I'll lay off the cotton candy before and during my sessions.;)

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-01-2009, 11:34pm
Well,you're going to have to change the strings sooner or later,so go ahead !.When you've got a new set on & up to tension,a good idea is to wipe them over with a clean cotton cloth (old handkerchief), with a tiny drop of 3-in-one oil on it.This takes off the black substance (usually traces graphite grease used to lubricate the wire drawing dies) that coat the strings.Wipe it on,being careful not to get any oil on the fingerboard (it won't do any harm if you do - but IF you do,wipe it off) then wipe the strings clean.The strings should feel smooth & silky under your fingers & hopefully won't stick. Also, 3-in-one oil has an anti rust compound in it which helps to prevent the strings corroding too fast due to acidity from your fingers,
Ivan

gnordenstam
Oct-02-2009, 9:56am
Thanks for all the great comments and advice. Any recommendations on strings for a newbie? Strings that may make fretting easier?

I'm playing a Kentucky KM150. When I purchased the mando, the shop through in a package of D/Addario J73 Strings - Phosphor Bronze Light.

mandroid
Oct-02-2009, 11:37am
Ivan's string cleaning seems counter intuitive, I've never sensed a need to do that in 30 years,

but if you feel it may be helpful, wipe the string with 3-in-1 on a cloth, before you put it on .

to keep from contaminating the bare fingerboard wood with chemical additives in some oils ,

that may not be beneficial when instrument needs future repairs.

J73 will be easier to fret as they reach pitch at lower tension than 74 0r 75,

N.B. this is a physical characteristic of music wire , not a particular brand of string,

a thinner string will come up to tension to reach pitch with a little less tension.

if you did not get your mandolin from a dealer that did a pre delivery, careful, setup,

You should have that done.
:popcorn:

TMitchell
Oct-02-2009, 12:05pm
I sometimes have trouble releasing the strings when my calluses get rough. The irregularities on your fingertips can act like velcro hooks. Now I keep an emory board in my case and it seems to help.

John Flynn
Oct-02-2009, 1:40pm
There is a product called Fast Fret (they have some competitors also) that's made to lube strings. I use it in humid weather when things can get sticky. It does help some. Personally, I would not use 3-in-1 oil for two reasons: 1) It is not designed to be safe on unfinished wood, such as an ebony fretboard, and 2) I don't like the smell of it.

The ultimate strings for being easy to fret in my opinion are flat-wounds, such as Labella Jazzmando strings and T-I's.

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-03-2009, 1:20am
Hi Mandroid - you don't NEED to wipe the strings over,but personally, the residue of the die lubricant all over my fingertips isn't something i really want. Plus,the oil does add a degree of protection against skin acidity.
Re.John's aversion to 3-in-one. It won't harm the fingerboard at all,not that i want it there of course.If it does get on the fingerboard,wipe it off.The smell doesn't linger for long when it's wiped off. I've used 3-in-one for over 40 years on my instruments - long before 'Fast Fret' was ever thought of.The oil that i use for dressing the fingerboards on my instruments,is Teak oil. An oil derived from a hardwood. Some folk like to use Almond oil,that's ok,but it's obtained from Almond NUTS. Now i don't hear of many folk using Peanut (Groundnut) oil - why not ?. The oil from Groundnuts is a much lighter oil than Almond oil & doesn't have much of a smell - unless it's been in the frying pan. Sometimes our (my) lack of logic amuses me,
Ivan;)

billkilpatrick
Oct-03-2009, 3:38am
on the contrary, i put a few drops of alcohol on a clean rag to wipe the strings - the point being, to eliminate build-ups of grease and grime ... "sweat and strain ... ol' man ribber'" ... ... (sorry) ...

i would have thought a coating of oil - albeit light - would attract all sorts of detritus, dust, etc. which clogs the strings.

Mike Snyder
Oct-03-2009, 4:55am
I use a coated string, and don't mess with them much when they're fresh. I do wipe them down after playing, though, once they're good and broke in. I've become a big fan of Dunlop Ultraglide 65 string cleaner and conditioner. I used Fast Fret in the past, it works too. Also got a can of Finger Ease I haul around and never use, although it works. The Dunlop is nice because you can go light if your strings aren't real dirty, or soak 'em good if they're grungy. I always wipe the exess off. It also seems to keep the nut lubed up, and I've had headaches in the past with sticky nut slots. So, for the OP, new strings and some way to keep them conditioned. As far as technique, fingering cleanly, a little instruction at the beginning could help alot. It can speed the process of learning your instrument. I wish I'd got some, about 30 years ago.

Rob Gerety
Oct-03-2009, 6:10am
I occasionally have this issue when the callus on my fretting finger gets a bit funky. I bought a callus file at the drug store. Works great. Its like a very fine cheese grater. I rarely need to use it but once in a while it will solve a problem.

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-08-2009, 1:33am
Bill - once you've wiped the oil on & off,there's only a microscopic film of it left on the strings.It actually feels 'nice' initially,the total opposite of tacky,& it does help. The commercial fluids can't really be any better as they're all some form of lubricant.
Calloused finger ends - YEP !!!. I keep a small piece of pumice stone in each of my cases & rub my finger ends on one a few times if they start to get 'flaky'.
Mike Snyder uses 'coated' strings as do many 'Cafe members. I've only ever used ELIXIR coated strings on my acoustic Guitar - heck ,it was like log rolling for me !!.The strings slipped from under my fingers most of the time.They felt 'easy' under my fingers,but i couldn't live with them so off they came,
Ivan

gnordenstam
Oct-09-2009, 9:35am
Thanks for all the great feedback. I found my sticking problem to be a combination of rough callouses and my technique. After using an emery board on my finger tips, there was a noticeable difference. Now, I've been able to concentrate on my technique. I have had a few lessons, but I notice I get lazy about the arch of my fingers when playing melody. Not much of a problem until I try to play chords. Then the bad habits come back to bite me.
--Garry

Alex Orr
Oct-09-2009, 11:50am
Crisco man... Just rub some crisco on them suckers :)

J.Albert
Oct-09-2009, 10:03pm
Here's another recommendation for Fast Fret.

Once you try it, you'll like it.

- John

Alex Orr
Oct-10-2009, 9:53am
Maybe it's just me, but the one time I used Fast Fret on my guitar I hated it. I thought after a few days it made the strings gunkier and it also seemed to deaden the sound.

Have you tried coated strings?