PDA

View Full Version : Sam Bush's hand-painted Limited Edition mandolin

Larry S Sherman
Sep-25-2009, 11:28pm
This is a fun video:

pgybjp-bjPI

Sam is such a nice guy, and funny too.

From the video description: Sam Bush backstage at the legendary Ryman Auditorium immediately after winning a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Americana Music Association. The award is a hand-painted GIbson Sam Bush Limited Edition Inspired by '34 Fern" mandolin. And it matches his Manuel-designed jacket!

Larry

Ivan Kelsall
Sep-26-2009, 2:00am
Well,what can one say !.Whatever the Mandolin was,it sounded as though it had more buzzes than a bee-hive - maybe it was the jacket humming along ?,
Ivan:grin:

MandoJump
Sep-26-2009, 2:03am
Buzzes? Who cares? It's the coolest looking award I've ever seen...and you can play it..even if it does buzz.

AlanN
Sep-26-2009, 7:46am
Yeah, cooleo...where's Waldo? :))

Ok Jethro/jazz buffs, the name of the tune he picks escapes me, not Don't Be That Way, but...?

JEStanek
Sep-26-2009, 9:40am
That was really bad recording quality on the audio, probably a small pocket camcorder. Sam's voice sounded buzzy too. Cool award and a nice vignette of a private moment with Sam. Congratulations.

Jamie

Jason Kessler
Sep-26-2009, 9:50am
Yeah, cooleo...where's Waldo? :))

Ok Jethro/jazz buffs, the name of the tune he picks escapes me, not Don't Be That Way, but...?

"I want to be happy,
But I can't be happy,
Til I make you happy too."

Don't know the name, though.

AlanN
Sep-26-2009, 10:28am
Perdido?

evanreilly
Sep-26-2009, 11:46am
I'd like to hear it again after the mandolin gets a good set-up. Looks pretty spiffy, tho.

Michael Cameron
Sep-26-2009, 1:28pm
"I Want to be Happy".

I didn't hear any buzzes from the mandolin. Low quality,backstage recording;maybe a cell phone video(?)

I'm betting the mandolin was already set up just like Sam likes.

From what I gather,Jethro was never a fan of high(er) action on mandolin just for the sake of tone and volume. Compared to a lot of mandolin virtuosos not really a tone-monster. Why raise the action and make it any harder to play than it already is?

"Volume is overrated." (C. Thile)

Nice jacket! Nudie(?)

AlanN
Sep-26-2009, 3:01pm
Yeppers.

And it's great to hear Sam's nod to Jethro, 20 years after his passing.

TerryBurnsKing
Oct-02-2009, 2:39pm
Warms my heart!!