PDA

View Full Version : More Bass for my Gibson

mandosonthemarsh
Sep-23-2009, 7:12pm
I have a 1937 Gibson A1, It came with the strings that are currently on it. I would like to increase the bass response. Any ideas for a string brand and gauge? Thanks, Bruce.

SternART
Sep-23-2009, 7:20pm
Try D'Addario J74's.........I consider them a go to standard for strings. I used to use them on old Gibson A's. Once they are on & break in for a few days....if you think you still need more bass, try raising the action on the bass side of the bridge a bit. YMMV

Big Joe
Sep-24-2009, 6:49pm
You may want to try the EXP75's and see what they do. On some mandolins they can make it really come alive. On others it seems as if it kills them. On that era mandolin it could be a good match though.

david blair
Sep-28-2009, 5:22am
I prefer the J75's over the medium gauge 74's. They seem to add more bass on my mandolin. Martin makes a very nice medium gauge string set.
I hear more bass when picking closer to the fingerboard than nearer to the bridge.
Experimenting with different picks may help you to find the tone you're looking for. Dunlop JazzTone 207 picks are my favorite.
You found a 1937 Gibson with the original strings?

mandroid
Sep-30-2009, 11:07am
You already got the tone guard added, or holding the back of the instrument away from your body, down?
bass gets muffled when the back is not ringing along with the top.

Bound to be variation within production run for same brand and model. not all equal, as wood varies.:disbelief:

:popcorn: