PDA

View Full Version : The Paris Swing John Jörgenson mandolin

Petter
Sep-23-2009, 1:33pm
Hi everybody!

I'm new to this forum and hope to get some help here. :)

I bought a cheap mandolin last x-mas and have really been enjoying playing on it ever since. Unfortunately I broke it a few weeks back. I think I might be able to repare it but it got me thinking about getting a better one.

I started looking around on different models hoping to find one I'd like for about $100, but when my eyes came across the Paris Swing JJ mandolin I just fell in love. :) I've seen it for $550 which is really way over what I was first planning to spend, but I'm still considering it beacuse it's such a beauty!

I just wanted to see what people who have it (I've seen that a few of the people on this forum have it) think about it. Does it have a good sound, and is it easy to play on? I would really want to try it out before buying it but there aren't too many stores in Stockholm where I live that sell mandolins, and I'm pretty sure I won't find one that have a PS JJ, so I could really use some advice from people who have played it.

I mostly enjoy playing Irish folk music and I know that the A-shape are more traditionally used for this, but is there any difference in sound between the shapes that might make it a bad choice to buy an F-shaped mandolin or is it just a tradition thing?

John Flynn
Sep-23-2009, 1:56pm
If you like it and can afford it, buy it. I have not played that model Paris Swing, but I've played a couple of others and frankly, I was not that impressed. It's one of those brands I think is designed to attract people more on looks than sound or playability. I play Irish also, and if it were me buying that price range, I would go for a used Mid-Missouri/Big Muddy or a new Floodtone or even a Trinity College. But each to one's own taste. There is nothing that would make the PSJJ a bad choice.

CES
Sep-23-2009, 2:04pm
I agree they look very cool, but have heard mixed reviews on their tone, and probably more problems with their lack of volume than anything, BUT, as with all such imports, there's a significant amount of variability from mando to mando, so you may be able to find a great sounding mando that's a cannon if you look/ask enough.

John's alternative choices above are all pretty good instruments (the TC line having some QC variability as well), and at that range Eastman and Kentucky models may come into play. It may be worthwhile to locate some dealers in Europe and call/email for opinions. You may be able to even get someone to play a couple for comparison's sake. If you can find one with the tone and volume you want, go for it and don't worry about the 9 million other suggestions we're all more than willing to throw at you!!

Paul Hostetter
Sep-23-2009, 3:46pm
The entire Paris Swing line is extinct. They were made in Korea and the importer, Music Link, has stopped using Korean shops. Perhaps the line will be revived in their Chinese operation someday.

Like most Korean products, the tops are pressed, which is an inherent limitation. The John Jorgenson (he does not use an umlaut in his name) model had a smaller soundhole which made the top quite a bit stronger. If you searched a bit longer you'd probably find one for less $.

Dagger Gordon
Sep-24-2009, 12:14am
A guy I know who has a lot of very good instruments turned up at a session I was at a few months ago with one.

He seemed to be getting quite a good sound of it and he liked it himself. I didn't especially enjoy playing it when I tried it, but it certainly wasn't bad and it's got a cool look.

Paul Hostetter
Sep-24-2009, 12:41am
The look is definitely cool!

http://www.johnjorgenson.com/images/mandolin.jpg

pops1
Sep-24-2009, 8:07am
Necks are a little clubby, and the bridge will need to be fitted, but they can play well and sound decent. As Paul says if you look you should be able to find one for almost half.

Fretbear
Sep-24-2009, 8:23am
Definitely looks "Jazz";
First thing would be to change out that bridge, it would make a world of difference.....

Petter
Sep-25-2009, 3:39am
Thanks for all the help!

Unfortunately I noticed that Amazon (where I found it for $550) doesn't deliver the mandolin outside of the U.S. So I'm not sure if I'll even be able to get a hold of one. :( Besides on Amazon, I've only found it for $670 and that is really starting to get out of my price range (especially since there will be a 25% import tax on it here in Sweden).

If anyone have any suggestions on european on-line stores please let me know. I've found a few myself but none of them have what I'm looking for.

I've found a store I have't been to here in Stockholm that seem to have quite a selection of mandolins, and I'll head over there tomorrow to check out their stuff. I'm sure I won't find the Paris Swing JJ mandolin but I'm starting to doubt I will get ahold of one anyways. :(

As I've understood from all your comments is that I would most likely find a better sounding mandolin for the same price range, but to be honest I am quite willing to pay extra for the exterior, and the JJ mandolin is the coolest looking mandolin I've seen. :)

Oggy
Sep-25-2009, 5:59am
Hello! Oskar from Umeå here.

My advice to you, since I've been down the same road. GO FOR TONE, not the looks.

How big is your budget, in Swedish kronor?

Petter
Sep-25-2009, 8:08am
Hej Oskar! :)

That's exactly the advice I was sure I would get here. I do feel pretty shallow for wanting a mandolin that isn't just fun to play, but also look good while hanging on my wall when I'm not playing on it. :D But I can't help it, just love the look of this mandoiln.

Well I originally planned to spend about 2000:- ($300) at most, and I think that is what I will end up spending unless I find a mandolin that I really like.

Oggy
Sep-25-2009, 10:05am
Well, for that kind of money, the best mandolin you could get here in Sweden, is an old Levin mandolin... flat-top, a-style, oval-hole, vintage... guess that's not your cup of tea?

Petter
Sep-27-2009, 3:04am
I don't really have anything against the Levin mandolins, and if I find one I like for a decent price I might get it. My current (broken) mandolin is an A-shaped, oval holed Cremona mandolin and I have really enjoyed playing on it.

I have been looking around in most stores that sell mandolins in Stockholm this weekend without finding a mandolin I really like for the right price. I think I'll just get some basic mandolin for now and keep an eye out for something special in the future. My mandolin-playing abstinence is getting really bad and I can't hold out much longer. :)

Jim
Sep-27-2009, 7:22am
Paris Swing mandolins are common on ebay in the $300 dollar range.

Petter
Sep-27-2009, 10:32am
Thanks for the tip Jim!
I wasn't sure eBay delivered to Sweden but they do have an international site so I guess they do. They don't have the model I want at the moment but I'll keep an eye there in case it turns up.