PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Gibson Tailpiece cover

beegee
Sep-21-2009, 5:25pm
I have a vintage Gibson tailpiece cover that I have a potential buyer for. This has the block Gibson wiggle-cut engraved(I guess it's stamped,not engraved), nickel finish. It's in good condition, not mint nor pristine. A few dings and faint scratches. I have no idea what the market is on these things. Can someone put me in the ball park?

jim_n_virginia
Sep-21-2009, 9:02pm
It's whatever someone will pay for it! I know thats not much of an answer but it's true. I paid $175.00 for a early teens tailpiece cover a while back and around the same time my friend paid $275.00 for one. So the cost's vary a LOT.

But I will say this I've never seen one go cheap! LOL! They are pretty pricey for just a little piece of metal! :))

Charles Johnson
Sep-21-2009, 9:39pm
block Gibson wiggle-cut engraved
Thats a post war cover. They sell for less, maybe $50 or so.

jim_n_virginia
Sep-22-2009, 12:29pm
block Gibson wiggle-cut engraved
Thats a post war cover. They sell for less, maybe $50 or so.

Hey Charles you know way more about it than I do! LOL! But my friend Chuck (cwilson) bought one from you a while back and it sure weren't no $50.00! :))

Of course he got one for a teens A4!

f5loar
Sep-22-2009, 1:25pm
There is a big difference in price of the prewar and post war TP covers. The wiggle Gibson post war logo in nickel (if you are talking about the slide up type and not the push down clamshell type used in early to mid 50's) were only for the A40/A50/EM150 and A5 of the late 50's and 60's. The gold was for the F5/F12/EM200 of the late 50s and 60's. After 1970 it was changed back to the "The Gibson" in script covers. Yeah I'd say $50 tops for a nice one.