PDA

View Full Version : At last, A mando to call my own! lol

Timleo
Sep-21-2009, 10:44am
Afternoon all!

This post isn't as much of a "what should I buy!?!" post, as it is a, "Let's hear some educated feedback."

Long story short--I'm investing in a mandolin today for both personal and professional reasons. Been playing acoustic guitar and banjo for about 7 years, and just started to get plugged into a few professional connections. I've landed a few payed gigs and I just can't keep away from the mando any longer. I'm goin' stir crazy here! (lol)

My current gig has landed me in Michigan, just south of Lansing, which, during my two weeks of researching mandos, has led me to the realization that I am just south of Elderly Instruments! I'm heading there in a few hours and spending a few more there before I leave with a new "lady" ;)

NOW-

I know the gist, I know the woods, I know the terms, I know the brands. I just have yet to play any of them in person. So if anyone would like to offer any experience or opinion on the few I am going to list here, I would greatly appreciate. I wont even tell you which one I am partial towards-just to keep it totally unbiased :)

Eastman MD 515/615

Breedlove FF Quartz(satin)

Grady A-Mandolin (This one I believe is from a private luthier. Click the link to check it out for comparison) Link! (http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/GAM1.htm)

Collings MT A model

Weber Gallatin F

Now I have not specified what playing style I am looking for, as I don't really know. I know you get more "mando" for your dollar with an A shape than an F, or so I have heard and read on these threads lol. I know personally, I wanted all solid woods, intelligent bracing of some kind, Florentine holes, preferably made in the US, and maybe an ebony fretboard. Most of my choices fit under this criteria.

Throw in your two cents, and I look forward to chatting it up with you crazy people in the coming days :)

-Tim

JeffD
Sep-21-2009, 10:54am
I am partial to the Collings myself, or the Weber. But that is not the result of any scientific comparison, just a gut reaction.

If I am not mistaken, there is not an oval hole in the bunch. An oval hole would attract me more, all other things equal.

Ray Neuman
Sep-21-2009, 11:42am
Having played each of your selections one time or another, I am currently saving to buy a Breedlove. Just my personal taste and gut speak. NOTHING wrong with the others, any one of them would make a fantastic partner.

Timleo
Sep-21-2009, 6:16pm
Alright! Thanks everyone for the feedback. After playing each one, and then playing back and forth between just two, I opted for the Breedlove FF mandolin. The Collings was a great deal, but it just didn't suit my ear as much as the Breedlove. Plus I love the esthetics of the satin finish and body shape of the FF. Not to mention it goes well with my Atlas Stage D25 ;)

Thanks again everyone, and I'll see you out on the threads! :)

-Tim

allenhopkins
Sep-21-2009, 7:14pm
You did it right -- have some idea ahead of time of what you want, play a number of mandolins that fit your ideas and your pocketbook, pick the one you like the best. And when you get a bunch of posters saying they would have picked another one, well, they weren't there and they weren't putting up the money. You're going to get the benefit of your own decision process.

Timleo
Sep-21-2009, 8:44pm
You did it right -- have some idea ahead of time of what you want, play a number of mandolins that fit your ideas and your pocketbook, pick the one you like the best. And when you get a bunch of posters saying they would have picked another one, well, they weren't there and they weren't putting up the money. You're going to get the benefit of your own decision process.

Thanks man. I shopped it the way I would a guitar, and I know 5 Collings of the same model can ALL sound different next to each other. There's no definitive "constant" really. Not to mention, in my opinion, at that price point, I was sitting pretty decent for finding a quality instrument no matter what I chose.

:)

DerTiefster
Sep-22-2009, 9:02pm
I hope you have an absolute bang-up time with your new FF. I was searching for a mandolin to substitute for my Dad's (and great-uncle's) Regal-make catalog mandolin. I didn't have the opportunity to hear, nor the ability to properly play, the competing mandolins in my list of possibilities. I bought a KO because of some sound clips I'd heard. Some out of many dozens of sound clips. I"m satisfied with my purchase, in fact quite so. I've got a great mandolin to learn on and develop with. I hope you're as satisfied 6 months after purchase as I am. I'll second the sentiment that your search looks just about as well-crafted as can be. But I was confirmed in my choice at Jim'n'Virginia's mandotasting in Norfoik on 12 Sept 09. Maybe you can supplement your mando-education at such an event sometime soon. Keep an eye open for such an opportunity.