PDA

View Full Version : Huge discount on F-7

allenhopkins
Sep-20-2009, 7:36pm
I noticed that Bernunzio is having a mandolin sale, and was browsing his website, when I saw that this F-7 (http://bernunzio.com/products/0812621) had its price cut almost in half, from around $14K to around $7K.

No financial interest on my part, and I haven't played the mandolin in question, but I thought that Cafe members interested in vintage instruments might want to have a look.

f5loar
Sep-20-2009, 8:07pm
That's getting it back to pre DS prices. Heck it's worth that to hang on the wall just to admire like a fine work of art.

MikeEdgerton
Sep-20-2009, 8:30pm
Kinda makes me wish I had an extra 7 grand laying around.

Glassweb
Sep-20-2009, 8:35pm
well, if it was refinished that explains the sensible price drop. i sure did like that F7 that just went off on ebay... THAT one looked all original and sweeet!

Ken Waltham
Sep-21-2009, 5:19am
Makes Bernunzio look rather foolish......

Links
Sep-21-2009, 10:44am
It either is or is not refinished - should be made clear which! Anyone in the antique (or collectibles of any type) business knows, never go on the word of the family that owns the item. Word of mouth is probably the most unreliable source of information - period!

Glassweb
Sep-21-2009, 11:04am
well, JB has been in the biz a long, long time and is about as reputable as they come. who knows what the story on this mandolin actually is. as usual, we're all just "speculatin' about a hypothesis" *

* Police Chief O'Doole in "Miller's Crossing"

Darryl Wolfe
Sep-21-2009, 12:31pm
It easily could be original finish. I vote that it is unless there is overspray inside

uncle ken
Sep-21-2009, 12:58pm
I see the nice ebay one sold for $9200. I wonder why there were no bids on the loar case?

D C Blood
Sep-21-2009, 1:10pm
That's the nicest back I've ever seen on an F-7.

Glassweb
Sep-21-2009, 7:31pm
[Quote - Uncle Ken] I see the nice ebay one sold for $9200. I wonder why there were no bids on the Loar case?

The Loar case had too high a price given the condition... he should have started the bidding around $1,000 and let the auction take its course...

Jim Garber
Sep-21-2009, 7:49pm
It looks like John is reducing prices on all his mandolins in honor of Dawg's appearance:

Mandolin SALE HERE!!!!

Hello Friends, David Grisman will make an in store appearance at Bernunzio Uptown Music on Friday, September 25th at 1:00PM. Drop by to meet the mandolin master. We will be selling tickets the 7PM concert. To celebrate this event, ALL MANDOLINS WILL BE ON SALE FOR THE REST OF THE MONTH OF SEPTEMBER!!!!

allenhopkins
Sep-21-2009, 9:17pm
Yeah, lots of discounts at John B's, but I thought the 50%/$7K reduction on the F-7 was noteworthy.

I'm staying out of there; last time I dropped by to see the Eastman rep's traveling road show, I ended up dropping $3K on an Eastman DGM-1 and a Tom Morgan Autoharp. I can resist anything but temptation...

Darryl Wolfe
Sep-22-2009, 7:26am
[Quote - Uncle Ken] I see the nice ebay one sold for $9200. I wonder why there were no bids on the Loar case?

The Loar case had too high a price given the condition... he should have started the bidding around $1,000 and let the auction take its course...

I agree. It would have brought a couple grand likely