PDA

View Full Version : Standard Gibson

Lee
Feb-10-2004, 12:53pm
Has Gibson ever offered any standard models with radiused fretboards? How about any of the signature models?
(I apologize if this has been covered before.)

John Flynn
Feb-10-2004, 2:35pm
The Adam Steffy signature model has a radius. That is the only one I know of.

mandoJeremy
Feb-10-2004, 2:43pm
The Sam Bush is radiused also.

peterbc
Feb-10-2004, 3:06pm
Really? The Master Model is flat? Were the Loars flat? I've never gotten to play one, but I always assumed they were radiused.

Lee
Feb-10-2004, 4:00pm
So other than appointments then, would the tone of the Sam Bush model differ significantly from the Adam Steffey model?

I noticed most of the signature models' fretboards have lost their florida too. (I love that term!)

John Flynn
Feb-10-2004, 4:18pm
MandoJeremy (or anyone who knows):
What is the radius measurement on the Bush?

goose
Feb-10-2004, 4:30pm
peterbc,

The Master Model is flat(I love flat fingerboards) but you can order one with a curve. The Loars were flat too.

mandoJeremy
Feb-10-2004, 5:44pm
Lee957, the tone of the Bush is significantly different than the Steffey or any of the others being that it is much deeper in tone. Charlie and Danny think this is attributed to the wider neck and more mass which I would agree with.

MandoJohnny, I think the Bush is either 10 or 12 and I am leaning towards the 12 degree. I am not really sure but I think that is what f5journl said when I wanted a bridge for it from him. Maybe he can chime and tell us for sure.

BigJoe
Feb-11-2004, 12:03am
You can get any of our models with a radiused fingerboard. The MM comes either way. The bodies on the Bush and Steffy were the same. The neck is different. The Bush is the only one with the larger neck and that does affect the tone some. If you order a new mandolin we can do it your way...mostly http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif . If you just buy one off the shelf you will have to take what the dealer ordered. Hope this helps.

atetone
Feb-11-2004, 1:02am
So BigJoe, what about this flat board vs. radiussed in the Gibson line?
Do you find that the majority of people are buying the flat board because it is what they prefer or because it is what is predominately available?
I am making an assumption here that the majority of the mandos in a particular model have a flat board. Is this correct?
Or is it a pricing issue to order a radiussed board?
It seems to me that radiussed is all the rage these days with most of the builders, but you still sell a lot of flat ones.
Any insight or behind the scenes thoughts on this?

Big Joe
Feb-11-2004, 10:05am
There is no charge difference for the radiused vs the flat. Most prefer the flat on those models with the flat board. One reason we offer several models is to give the options so they can find an instrument that works for them. It really matters not to us. Hope this helps.