PDA

View Full Version : Johnson 200

Canister
Sep-19-2009, 8:31pm
Janet Davis has a Johnson 100 and 200 with the price knocked down. Would either be ok for a decent starter?~:>

stratton7584
Sep-21-2009, 3:22pm
I would suggest a kentucky!!

Taylor and Tenor
Sep-21-2009, 3:29pm
I second that suggestion - Buy a Kentucky!

Canister
Sep-21-2009, 3:59pm
I looked at them after reading the messages. There is a big difference in price. Is there that much difference in quality? I'm retired and need to watch the hobby expendures. I also don't know if I'll ever learn to play the mondo. I'm very artheritic but try to keep my fingers working.

brown akers
Sep-21-2009, 4:13pm
Canister the reason most of us would recommend the Kentucky line over others in this price range is using a dovetail joint to attach the neck to the body - which is a major factor in tone and long term stability of the mandolin. If you can start out with an A style instead of a F you can get alot more bang for your buck - I really like the 160-161-162 styles of A's that Kentucky makes - look around on the internet and you'll find packages for sell including case, shipping,etc....and Dennis @ The Mandolin Store seems to have deals on new and used models from time to time. If you end up playing the mandolin you'll be happy you spent the extra bucks - and if you want to sell/trade up in the future you'll retain more value. Good luck in your hunt!

allenhopkins
Sep-21-2009, 4:18pm
Q. Big discount today on ham sandwiches at the deli! What kind of bread should I choose?

A. You should buy the corned beef on pumpernickel.

OK, let's respond to the question: a well-set-up Johnson mandolin is at the bottom of the food chain but still adequate to learn on. Depends on your definition of "decent." Johnson instruments are a step above the "mandolin-shaped objects" that populate eBay; I have a Johnson resonator ukulele, and owned a Johnson tri-cone guitar, and they were serviceable, quite playable, and not bad as beginner/mid-price instruments. If, as you say, you're not sure how far you're going on mandolin, wouldn't be too bad a choice.

The SF-200 has solid, carved wood; the SF-100 is plywood. Hence the price difference. Carved solid wood is generally better, but for an instrument to learn on, it may not make that much difference from your perspective.

catmandu2
Sep-21-2009, 4:56pm
Janet Davis has a Johnson 100 and 200 with the price knocked down. Would either be ok for a decent starter?~:>

There is an old, old adage relavent to this question...let me see if I can remember how it goes...:confused:

Let's see...It goes something like: he who buys a solid wood Kentucky generally does better with it than any variety of plywood models (including the Johnson) ;)

JEStanek
Sep-21-2009, 8:03pm
Allan answered your question very well. Janet Davis should certainly do a good set up on the mandolin (either one) and ship it to set up so you can play it. They should also stand behind the sale if there are problems with the tuners or neck intonation (these issues are not common but not rare either with these more inexpensive instruments).

Since you have arthritis issues, I would recomend you ask them to (re)string it with lighter gauge strings and give it a lower action. That should make fretting a bit easier.

I still have an all laminate wood Johnson A style oval hole instrument in the house.

Canister
Sep-21-2009, 8:30pm
Thanks guys! I had my mind set on a F style but your right. I should go for an A.
(or find the money);) Where is the wife?

jim_n_virginia
Sep-21-2009, 8:55pm
Q. Big discount today on ham sandwiches at the deli! What kind of bread should I choose?

A. You should buy the corned beef on pumpernickel.

I knew it was coming! :)):)):))

seriously ... make sure you spring for a good setup even if you have to ship it off to someone after you get it. A good set up will make all the difference in the world whether you stick with it or not!

Good Luck! :mandosmiley:

CES
Sep-22-2009, 11:24am
I can attest to JDMC's set-up and service based on a banjo I bought there several years ago...make sure they know you want a low action/Chris Thile-esque set-up (as opposed to Bill Monroe's "Manly Action") to make playing with your arthritis easier; they should do a good job of making it as playable as it can be. Light gauge and also possibly silk and steel strings may make fretting easier for you.

In addition to Johnson (Turkey with Bacon, anyone?), JDMC often has great prices on Rover A-styles--which at least have a solid, though pressed, top--(around 129 dollars, I think), and Kentucky has some decent low-priced offers as well.
If mando doesn't work out because of arthritis pain there's always Ukulele (Nylon strings) and longer scale instruments (which don't require quite so much pressure to fret cleanly), so don't give up! You may actually find that giving you hands a daily workout or two may help loosen up some of the stiffness!

man dough nollij
Sep-23-2009, 9:39pm
If I were looking for something in that range and HAD to have an F style, I would definitely look at a Rover RM-75. Here's one (http://bernunzio.com/products/0913201) for $299 at Bernunzio's in Rochester, NY. I've never heard a bad thing about them, and I've heard folks RAVE about the smokin' deal they got, buying one for $500. I've never played one myself, but they have a solid rep as a screaming deal.

Canister
Sep-25-2009, 1:43pm
I'm getting ready for the fight when the wife sees it come in! http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif I took the advice given. I ordered a Kentucky F -KM 630 from Janet Davis. It's the upgraded version.They will restring it and set the action low for me. I should get it by the end of next week. Thanks guys.http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/images/smilies/mandosmiley.gif

stratton7584
Sep-25-2009, 1:55pm
i have no doubt that you will love it!!!