PDA

View Full Version : Great Auction Find

Ron Landis
Sep-19-2009, 2:12pm
I've always heard of great deals people find at flea markets and auctions, but have never found one myself... until today. A friend of mine who follows the local auctions told me about a Gibson Junior mandolin which I had never heard of before. I got there an hour before it went on the block and checked it out. All original tuners and pick guard. No cracks, loose seams or caved-in top usually associated with these.

It was raining and a lot of bidders had already left. The only other bidders there knew me and backed off so I could win it for $350. Woo-Hoo!!
I felt there was a little karma involved since I had to sell ALL my vintage stuff a few years back for about 30 cents on the dollar.

I don't plan on selling it but am wondering what the market value is on this thing? In other words, how good of a deal did I get? The only other bidder asked how much I would have gone and I told her at least $700.

I was told it belonged to the wife of the minister at the church the auction was held. She owned it since she was very young. Judging by the wear on the neck, she apparently played it a lot, but very little wear on the fingerboard. I'm jazzed. :mandosmiley:

MikeEdgerton
Sep-19-2009, 3:07pm
Is it an A Jr? Can you post a picture?

Ron Landis
Sep-19-2009, 3:20pm
Yeah, it's an A Junior w/oval hole. Serial #81614. VERY plain with snake-head headstock. (no stenciled "Gibson") I just put a new set of strings on it and it needed absolutely NO adjustments at all. I REALLY like it. It has that sweet woody tone I expected and a very nice action. Everything is straight and solid. I'll get a few pics up soon.

Ron Landis
Sep-19-2009, 4:08pm
Here's Junior...

Charley wild
Sep-19-2009, 4:26pm
Nice score, Ron, and a snakehaead at that! I've owned four A's and wish I had just one of them back!:)

JEStanek
Sep-19-2009, 6:01pm
Congratulations. I hope you enjoy it for a long time.

Jamie

sgarrity
Sep-19-2009, 7:44pm
I'll give you $700 for it! ;-) Thats a great find. Wishing you many happy tunes!

Jim
Sep-19-2009, 8:30pm
Congatulations, Thats my dream you're living!

MikeEdgerton
Sep-19-2009, 10:17pm
At 700.00 you would have still got it at about half it's value. It's a 1925 if I'm not mistaken and even if I am it's close.

Ron Landis
Sep-19-2009, 10:41pm
At 700.00 you would have still got it at about half it's value. It's a 1925 if I'm not mistaken and even if I am it's close.

Cool! I did a little research and you're right about the age. I was not familiar with the Jr. models until yesterday and was thinking it might be in the $1200 - $1500 range.

I'm happy as a clam. I've always wanted one of these old Gibson A models but most of them I've seen have been priced around $1800. Anyway, the folks at the church auction knew roughly what it was worth but they seemed pleased I got it after they found out I could actually play it.

allenhopkins
Sep-19-2009, 10:49pm
According to Mandolin Archive, (http://www.mandolinarchive.com/perl/list_mandolins.pl?all:63) #81564 was a 1925 snakehead A-4. You're about 50 numbers after, so '25's a good estimate.

Value? Apparently depends on where you live:

A-Jr. on Salt Lake City Craig's List, (http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/msg/1352561281.html) asking $700;

A-Jr. on San Francisco Craig's List, (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/msg/1382671556.html) asking $2700.

jim_n_virginia
Sep-19-2009, 10:57pm
I'll give you $700 for it! ;-) Thats a great find. Wishing you many happy tunes!

I'll give you $750.00 LOL!

Wow! Great score. It's a Jr. so not quite worth as much if it was an A1-4 but still you got it at a great deal. From what I have seen $1200 - $1500 depending on the condition and if all the orginal parts (case too) is still all there.

Sounds like a lot of people were looking out for you! Thats cool! :mandosmiley:

Ron Landis
Sep-20-2009, 12:04am
Yeah, mine isn't totally original. It has an adjustable bridge which I don't believe is original, and I noticed it has one replaced button carved out of hardwood. Also, when I pulled off the tailpiece (which seemed stuck), the remaining E string came off, and noticed the pin it should have been on was broken. Neither of these things are really an issue with me. I can put two strings on one pin, and the hand-carved button is kinda quaint. Do they call that 'mojo'? Oh... and what's left of the non-original case was better left in the garbage before I left. No biggy. It's not a museum piece, I'm just gonna play it... right now in fact. :mandosmiley::)):mandosmiley::)

gibson mandoman
Sep-20-2009, 1:27am
Ron, as you know already, you did great! Enjoy that Gibson A-Jr. Snakehead!

Fliss
Sep-20-2009, 4:08am
What a great story and a fantastic find! May your new old mando give you a lot of playing enjoyment :)

Fliss

8ch(pl)
Sep-20-2009, 4:55am
Ron, unless Gibson used non-adjustable bridges on the A-Jr because it is a low end model (at that time), then the bridge you have should be original. Adjustable bridges came into use about 1922.

You lucky dog, you got a great deal.

MikeEdgerton
Sep-20-2009, 6:11am
Somebody might want to grab the $700.00 A Jr. on the SLC Craig's List and the $2700.00 in SF will probably be there for a while. Either way you look at it this is a great find and I'm jealous as heck.

JeffD
Sep-20-2009, 8:44am
Way to go.

Happy tunes.

Ron Landis
Sep-20-2009, 9:32am
Thanks for all the nice comments everyone. I feel pretty lucky to have gotten it. A couple non-players who buy and sell stuff backed out on this knowing full well it was worth a lot more. Another musician was there to steal it, but once he found out I was there, he realized his bids would be futile. I'd have bid it up to $2000 just to spite him. (long ugly story)

These things really do have a pretty tonal quality that I've always liked. It doesn't bark like my F, but rather, it sort of "purrs" very sweetly. Being a 1925, it could very well be a one-owner mandolin. At least that was the impression I got from the people who knew her.