PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Know Where I Could Get Some Info On Bluegrass Alliance?

Sam Bush Fan!
Sep-16-2009, 12:12pm
I Know Danny Jones And Curtis Burch And I've Met Sam Bush(He's My All Time Hero).And I Guess I Just Want To Know Some More About Them(The Bluegrass Alliance),I Know A Good Amount Of Stuff About Newgrass Revival But It's Hard To Find Info On The Bluegrass Alliance And I'm Not Old Enough To Rember Them. So Do Any Of You Cafe'ers Have Any Info On The Band?

JimRichter
Sep-16-2009, 12:32pm
Danny Jones could give you the info you need, couldn't he? He was there for the first two albums.

Philippe Bony
Sep-16-2009, 12:32pm
Some pics & Info (http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=400810351&albumID=484443&imageID=5917835#a=484443&i=13514081) here.

Sam Bush Fan!
Sep-16-2009, 12:36pm
Danny Jones could give you the info you need, couldn't he? He was there for the first two albums.

I Guess That Would Not Be A Bad Idea.

Nolan
Sep-16-2009, 1:04pm
What ever happened to Ebo Walker?

Sam Bush Fan!
Sep-16-2009, 1:10pm
What ever happened to Ebo Walker?

He Killed A Cop And A Detictive Becuse They Found His Pot Field Shortly after He Left The N.G.R. He Is Still In Prsion For The Crime.

Nolan
Sep-16-2009, 1:32pm
He Killed A Cop And A Detictive Becuse They Found His Pot Field Shortly after He Left The N.G.R. He Is Still In Prsion For The Crime.

:disbelief:

fer reals?

Sam Bush Fan!
Sep-16-2009, 1:35pm
:disbelief:

fer reals?

As True As The Sky Is Blue.

rnjl
Sep-16-2009, 1:39pm
Hi all. Bluegrass Unlimited, in its "notes and inquiries" section (I think) ran a piece about Ebo Walker and gave the address of a friend of his, who would be able to then send letters to the prison. They also if I remember printed a short letter from him as well- this was in the past year or so.

Sam Bush Fan!
Sep-16-2009, 1:42pm
Hi all. Bluegrass Unlimited, in its "notes and inquiries" section (I think) ran a piece about Ebo Walker and gave the address of a friend of his, who would be able to then send letters to the prison. They also if I remember printed a short letter from him as well- this was in the past year or so.

Witch Issue?

allenhopkins
Sep-16-2009, 3:46pm
Here (http://apps.corrections.ky.gov/KOOL/ioffres.asp?Inm=209217&Action=Detail&Pagenum=1) is Harry Shelor, stage name "Ebo Walker," age 67 and still in Kentucky prison.

Wayne Stewart
Sep-17-2009, 12:23pm

Isaac, Danny took over my role with the BGA when I quit so he can fill in a lot of blanks. I was there at the beginning and can tell you the who what when where and why BGA came together. I hope you got the private mail I sent earlier this morn.

w

D C Blood
Sep-17-2009, 12:45pm
Wonder if "Ebo" Harry Shelor would be any kin to Sammy?

Wayne Stewart
Sep-17-2009, 4:30pm
Wonder if "Ebo" Harry Shelor would be any kin to Sammy?

No kin at all. Sam didn't meet Harry till he and Cathy moved to Louisville. Cathy was working for ma bell and Sam was a waiter who would sit in with the BGA once in a while.

D C Blood
Sep-17-2009, 8:21pm
You mis-interpreted me there, Wayne...when I said "Sammy", I meant Sammy Shelor, the banjo picker, not Sam Bush.

Man of Wax
Sep-18-2009, 12:39pm
There's a relevant chapter in The Bluegrass reader. (http://www.amazon.com/Bluegrass-Reader-Music-American-Life/dp/0252073657/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253295466&sr=8-1)

rnjl: Please do share the BU issue number, if you get a chance.

Wayne Stewart
Sep-18-2009, 1:44pm
You mis-interpreted me there, Wayne...when I said "Sammy", I meant Sammy Shelor, the banjo picker, not Sam Bush.

Thanx for the info D C. I left the BG loop around 1970 and so many names I know not. Harry didn't come from a musical family so I doubt if they are related. Is Sammy Shelor a Ky. guy?

Ebo Walker's Daughter
Sep-23-2012, 11:22am
Thanx for the info D C. I left the BG loop around 1970 and so many names I know not. Harry didn't come from a musical family so I doubt if they are related. Is Sammy Shelor a Ky. guy?

Fact is that Harry Shelor Jr./Ebo Walker did come from a musical family from long ago. His mother played the piano from childhood and was a professional pianist for as long as she worked with the church and his father played tunes like Little Brown Jug from a fiddle on his hip. Harry Shelor Sr. also created a series of early recordings of bluegrass festivals around the Appalachian Region as a part of his interest in being an archivist and family historian. Currently the body of his radio shows and recordings are on tape.

The Shelor family is quite musical and has always had several pickers in each generation to come along and take up musical careers and the love of old instruments. Harry Shelor Jr. played a variety of instruments from Stand Up Bass to Banjo and Mandolin on occassion. Sammy Shelor is a distant cousin from the other side of the Mountain over in Virginia; Carl and Marshall Shelor are also professional musicians known for their pickin and singin. Marshall Shelor is also a fine luthier in the making.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANkdDtgJx6A

johnparrott
Sep-23-2012, 12:55pm
Lots of people went through that band over the years. Quite a spreadsheet would be needed to inventory all their comings and goings.

Nice to hear Ebo's Daughter mention Marshall Shelor, brother of Harry. Whenever we were down in Louisville, Marshall was kind enough to spend plenty of time straightening out my guitar playing. He had a knack with cars (Cadillacs?) and had good insights about music in general. When I asked Marshall what I could do to play more like him, he suggested I become an auto mechanic.

Ebo Walker's Daughter
Sep-23-2012, 6:13pm
Truer words were never spoken when it comes to following the progress of the Bluegrass Alliance.

Good to hear more about how to become a better picker. I'm also guessin' he might be considered a historian at this point like his father given the fact that he has never steered me wrong when it came to recalling the details of old cars and old timey lyrics and such as well.