PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Case Covering

Russ Jordan
Sep-15-2009, 4:37pm
What is the cover material on Loar era cases? I have been told it was grayatol, but can find no info. Maybe the wrong spelling?

Darryl Wolfe
Sep-16-2009, 11:03am
some of the original catalogs mention seal skin. I really do not think it is though

Russ Jordan
Sep-16-2009, 9:09pm
I had the name wrong. Wayne Henderson says it is called crayatol or crayitol. Seal skin, eh? Thanks Darryl

Bill Halsey
Sep-16-2009, 9:48pm
I think the name may be "Keratol". I've seen this name in old Gibson ads. I did a little looking into this once, and seem to recall that it is fabric treated with phenolic resin, with a pattern pressed into it to simulate leather.

allenhopkins
Sep-18-2009, 11:21am
I think the name may be "Keratol". I've seen this name in old Gibson ads. I did a little looking into this once, and seem to recall that it is fabric treated with phenolic resin, with a pattern pressed into it to simulate leather.

Looked up "Keratol," and found it was also a book-binding material:

What is "Keratol?"

Keratol was a binding material used briefly in the Modern Library series with the 1928 gift set. It was shiny with geometric patterns (one Mailing List member said it reminded him of shower curtains); otherwise it looked like the same binding style as Toledano style 4.

It was used on only three titles: Cellini's Autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini, Merejkowski's Romance of Leonardo Da Vinci, and Symonds' Life of Michelangelo. Each title was bound in a different color keratol—turquoise, orange, and chartreuse.

--- from www.modernlib.com (http://www.modernlib.com/FAQpages/bindingsFAQ/faqKeratol.html)

zookster
Sep-23-2009, 9:21am
Somebody told me the Gibson cases were treated with Geratol. That's why they last so long.......

Loudloar
Sep-25-2009, 9:19pm
Keratol is one of the more popular prewar trade names for imitation leather. There were others. Believe it or not it's celluloid combined with linseed oil, applied to fabric, and a pattern then embossed with a roller. This stuff was developed in the latter half of the 1800's and used for suitcases, buggy tops, furniture, instrument cases, etc. In the 1950's it was gradually replaced by equivalent products made of vinyl on fabric.
Steve

Stonesphear
Dec-01-2018, 3:28pm
Any radar on how to clean, refurbish and refinish
" Karatol "? It is applied on with water soluble glue so you would think there should be some sort of water proofing applied .

mandroid
Dec-01-2018, 5:05pm
Acrylic clear from an Artist supply will do a good coating.. Decoupage stuff as you do it if you wish..

NickR
Dec-02-2018, 4:08am
Ask the questions here and Steve Kirtley will probably refer you to previous discussions or post up what you need by way of an answer:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/vintagemusicalinstrumentcases/

William Smith
Dec-02-2018, 6:15am
So say you have a mid 30's very nice Loar style oblong case with the American Beauty interior but there are old stickers on the outside? Hopefully there are no holes etc...why the stickers are there but will that goo be gone stuff work on that problem? I don't want to ruin the case!

Ray(T)
Dec-02-2018, 9:50am
Who was it who said that "The Judge's decision was Vinyl"!

Bob A
Dec-03-2018, 12:05pm
I've had success removing the sticker goo from book dust jackets using lighter fluid. It has no effect on the paper, and evaporates quickly. Use in a well-ventilated area, away from open flame (duh).

I have no idea what effect it would have on anything else.

Timbofood
Dec-05-2018, 3:27pm
Rubber cement thinner is another good fairly benign adhesive solvent