PDA

View Full Version : trouble with the icon

JeffD
Sep-15-2009, 1:41pm
I love the black headstock silhouette that comes up as the short cut on my computer desktop.

Used to be that the same silhouette was shown before the URL in the internet explorer address field and at the top of the tab. But something has changed and I can't figure out what.

On one computer I get the standard Internet Explorer "e" with the saturn ring around it. And with the other computer I have been getting various different icons, changing every other day or so.

What do I need to do to make the cafe silhouette permenant and stable.

Thanks.

Mercier
Sep-15-2009, 3:22pm
Using Internet explorer is a sin. :)

Does it happens only when clicking on the shortcut(on your desktop) or does the same thing happen when opening internet explorer and typing the address manually?

JeffD
Sep-15-2009, 4:18pm
Well both actually.

Mercier
Sep-15-2009, 4:49pm
I don't know then. I didn't use explorer for years and I won't be able to try anything today since my PC is sitting in a box for the moving. Sorry

It works fine here, so all i can suggest is to try to find what you did in common to both of your computer before losing the Mandolin Cafe icon.

I do not know how to put it back on the address bar(internet explorer itself should be looking for it automatically) but to restore it on the shortcut you can: (I'm writing this by memory since i do not have access to my PC at the moment so it might differ)
1) Go to: http://www.mandolincafe.com/favicon.ico
2)Right click on the image and save it on your computer under the icone format (i.e. MandolinCafe.ico)
3)Right click on the shortcut, properties, look for "Change icon"
4)You should have a browse option to select the image you just saved.
5)Apply
6)Enjoy.

Hopefully everything works fine, let me know how it goes.

Mercier

journeybear
Sep-15-2009, 5:57pm
I started noting these icons about half a year ago. Some websites provide them, some don't. They show up in my favorites too. Check your internet options on the computer that doesn't display them. Sounds like a setting issue to me. But what do I know? I don't even know who Mersenne was ...

journeybear
Sep-15-2009, 6:07pm
... :redface:

MikeEdgerton
Sep-15-2009, 6:42pm
What you're referring to is called a favicon.ico file. Some sites use them, some don't. Internet Explorer and Firefox handle them differently at times. If you really want it to stick follow this (www.mandolincafe.com/favicon.ico) link, right click and save the file to your local hard drive, then apply it to the shortcut.

man dough nollij
Sep-15-2009, 8:08pm
I usually see them on my work computer, but not always. Sometimes I just get the IE logo. :confused:

Mercier
Sep-15-2009, 8:11pm
The simplest way to fix all IE related problem is: www.firefox.com :)

Bill Snyder
Sep-15-2009, 9:25pm
The simplest way to fix all IE related problem is: www.firefox.com :)

I put Firefox on my wife's computer because she was having issues with IE that we couldn't seem to overcome. It does have a feature or two I really like, but if I had to use Firefox all the time I might give up the internet altogether. :confused:
I do use Google Chrome quite a bit, but there are still several things IE does better than it does and some that I can not do on Chrome at all because some websites have functions that only work on IE or Firefox.

Mercier
Sep-15-2009, 9:56pm
...if I had to use Firefox all the time I might give up the internet altogether. :confused:
Internet Explorer 7 is a copy of Firefox.

...I do use Google Chrome quite a bit, but there are still several things IE does better than it does and some that I can not do on Chrome at all because some websites have functions that only work on IE or Firefox.

I've never used google chrome before so i couldn't comment, but really rare are the occasion where firefox does not support a webpage.

Since it ain't the topic here, you can PM me with any example you can think off where IE overcome Firefox and since i'm sold on the product i'm gonna have to find a solution. ahahah

Anyway, JeffD any luck so far?

MikeEdgerton
Sep-15-2009, 10:07pm
There both copies of Mosaic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosaic_(web_browser)) but we won't go there. If anyone has any real suggestions for the OP (other than to clear his cache/history which I assume he already did) then let's take this conversation elsewhere. This is a support section.

JeffD
Sep-16-2009, 2:56pm
Its working now. Thanks.