PDA

View Full Version : Greek Bouzouki

Eddie Sheehy
Sep-10-2009, 3:21pm
Anyone recognize the logo on this headstock?

T Foster
Sep-11-2009, 9:11am
Hi An idea where I can purchase an inexpensive Greek Bouzouki

Thanks,

Tom

vkioulaphides
Sep-11-2009, 9:24am
Good morning.

With the disclaimer that I have no financial interest in this firm,

http://www.matsikas.gr/

(Sakis) Matsikas is the only mass-producer of bouzoukis in Greece-- and therefore his instruments are much more affordable than those made by individual luthiers working in "solo boutiques". His catalogue is quite ample, as you will see, and covers a broad price-range.

By way of secondary disclaimer, I have been to his retail shop in Athens, seen some of the instruments, but do not actually own one. Still, I think that Matsikas would be a decent starting-place for your search.

Cheers,

Victor

Eddie Sheehy
Sep-11-2009, 1:59pm
Soooooo.... anyone identify the logo?

Eddie Sheehy
Sep-11-2009, 2:02pm
Tom, there are always Greek Zouks on Ebay but they can be hit or miss. Old ones tend to have bowed necks and sunken tops. Still, there are bargains to be found. Beware the "souvenir" zouks - they have plastic backs with lines drawn on them to look like dougies.

vkioulaphides
Sep-11-2009, 3:53pm
Sad, but true. :( Many zouks acquire that truly pathetic banana-shape after a while-- especially the cheap ones, of course. Better instruments have various types of "stiffening" in their necks, and better bracing of their tops.

I wasn't aware of plastic backs but, even on reputable instruments, there is a custom of drawing decorative lines on the staves, so as to make them look twice as many as they really are. That, in and of itself, is not a demerit.

Cheers,

Victor