PDA

View Full Version : My Duff A5 - build pictures.

bluegrassgm
Sep-10-2009, 7:50am
Hi everyone.
Although I haven't posted many times, I am a big fan of the Cafe Message Board. I thought I'd share a few shots (and my excitement) regarding my Paul Duff A5... currently under construction.

bluegrassgm
Sep-10-2009, 7:55am
And a few more shots...

sgarrity
Sep-10-2009, 8:35am
I didn't know he was making A5s. That is going to be one fine mandolin. And MAS strikes again....

JEStanek
Sep-10-2009, 9:00am
Congratulations and enjoy the building excitement.

Jamie

Chris Biorkman
Sep-10-2009, 9:10am
Cool!

lenf12
Sep-10-2009, 10:04am
I also did not know that Paul is building A-5s. I'm a big fan of his instruments with an F-5 and H-5 'dola w/Virzi hanging around the homestead. Gorgeous and great sounding/playing mandos. Congratulations on your new A-5. It's going to be wonderful!!

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

bluegrassgm
Sep-18-2009, 7:02pm
Hi All,

Thanks for your comments. Looks like it's really coming along now. You might notice that I have asked Paul to base this instrument on the one and only Loar signed A5.
(as per my avatar)

Here are some more shots...

hank
Sep-18-2009, 7:37pm
That's going to be one of a kind beautiful. The Fleur-de-lis and Mr. Duffs Amazing name inlay are made for each other. ~:>~:>~:>~:>~:>

bluegrassgm
Sep-21-2009, 7:56am
More pictures.. carving the back plate;

bluegrassgm
Sep-21-2009, 8:26am
Cutting the dovetail and fitting the neck;

hank
Sep-21-2009, 8:57am
Is Paul following the changes Mr. Loar made to the design, Head block, sound hole placement and size and bridge location?

grassrootphilosopher
Sep-21-2009, 9:09am
Acording to http://www.mandolincentral.com/duff.html the A5 is 6.000,- USD.

Chris, Id very much apreciate a sound clip etc. With my recording aparatus rolling along I might even throw in a soundbyte of my mando. t might be nice to compare.

I just came back from a couple of days of music and my Duff got the keen eye from most anybody.

bluegrassgm
Sep-21-2009, 6:59pm
Sure thing Olaf - a sound clip will be a nice conclusion to this thread.
I think I will have this mandolin in November, so stay tuned!
Chris

bluegrassgm
Sep-21-2009, 7:02pm
Is Paul following the changes Mr. Loar made to the design, Head block, sound hole placement and size and bridge location?

To the best of my knowledge everything about this A5 will be the same as the Loar "Mrs Griffith" A5... other than the fact that it will be a new Duff as compared to a 85 year old Gibson. LOL

hank
Sep-21-2009, 7:15pm
SWEET~:>~:>~:>~:>~:> This is gonna be good. Your a lucky mandoliner.

Glassweb
Sep-21-2009, 7:20pm
Ok, I guess I'm gonna jump in here with my baby in progress... a 2 point mandola by "Big Wheel" Kimble. Comin' along, comin' along... oops! Sorry... I didn't mean to hijack this Duff thread... I thought it was "mandolins in progress"...

grassrootphilosopher
Sep-22-2009, 3:48am
Ok, I guess I'm gonna jump in here with my baby in progress... a 2 point mandola by "Big Wheel" Kimble. Comin' along, comin' along... oops! Sorry... I didn't mean to hijack this Duff thread... I thought it was "mandolins in progress"...

Looks just as nice. So how about joining forces here and getting a Mado/la build thread - soundbyte conclusion together. Im fascinated.

Fretbear
Sep-22-2009, 11:27am
That Duff pearl filigree inlay is almost impossibly thin and ornate; amazing work....

bluegrassgm
Oct-18-2009, 6:36am
These are the latest shots of the A5 with a brushed on, protector coat.
Now ready for the Waverly tuners and the french polishing...
:grin:

Jonas
Oct-18-2009, 6:51am
Ooh, looks just about perfect!

hank
Oct-18-2009, 6:55am
Wow! Great burst Amighty! You guys down under got it going on. To see the look on your face when you first hear her voice and feel her back side purring like a fat cat, Priceless. ;)~o)

bluegrassgm
Oct-18-2009, 7:05am
Hahaha! thanks Henry & Jonas.
Yup, I think she's looking great (if may say so myself).
I'm looking forward to getting this one in my hands and getting on with opening her up.
regards, CJ

bluegrassgm
Oct-21-2009, 5:22am
Some more shots - the top and back now with some french polishing underway...

lenf12
Oct-21-2009, 11:48am
Hey Chris,

The anticipation towards the end of your wait is really difficult. I know from personal experience. My avatar is the back of a Duff F-5. He does such beautiful sunbursts and his craftsmanship is superb. Be patient and enjoy the process!!

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

mossmanl
Oct-21-2009, 10:43pm
Hey Chris,

What a fabulous looking mandolin... I am sure you can't wait to get your hands on it. Congratulations and happy pickin' when it comes.

Baron Collins-Hill
Oct-21-2009, 11:13pm
ooh baby. that thing is top notch. cant wait to see it strung up.

its instruments like this that make me fall in love with a styles all over again. f's are fine, but ill alwas be an a-style guy.

baron

bluegrassgm
Oct-22-2009, 3:47pm
Hey Chris,

What a fabulous looking mandolin... I am sure you can't wait to get your hands on it. Congratulations and happy pickin' when it comes.

Thanks Larry - nice to hear from you. Remember to look me up when you come to Australia!

bluegrassgm
Nov-12-2009, 3:34am
Well the Duff A5 is finished!
I haven't recieved it yet but Paul has sent me the last lot of pictures. So good to see her strung up.

Only a week to go and I'll have her in my hands!

Chris

bluegrassgm
Nov-12-2009, 3:37am
One last shot...

bluegrassgm
Nov-12-2009, 3:46am
Here is a little clip Paul put up on youtube - enjoy.

grassrootphilosopher
Nov-12-2009, 5:47am
There you go Chris!

Congratulations, that appears to be a fine mandolin. Methinks you dont need it though, so just go ahead and pass it on to me... :))

The clip I like!

Paul Duffs ability to build a mighty fine instrument is way up there.

(a little grain of salt.... why did you chose the small pickguard while the "regular" one looks so much more right? But then its your mandolin and your choice, aint it ;) )

bluegrassgm
Nov-12-2009, 6:57am
To tell you the truth, I'd never really thought of either the "regular" or the abrievated as looking better than the other.

In terms of looks I actually like no pickguard at all - but I like the idea of protecting the top of the mando in that area. Guess that's why the appeal of using the smaller pickguard.

For me... the more of the top of the instrument I get to look at - the better.

:mandosmiley:

Scotti Adams
Nov-12-2009, 7:41am
A mando that looks that good...has to sound that good...man..that sounds like a cannon. Congrats.

Great work Paul!

Dfyngravity
Nov-12-2009, 8:03am
A canon for sure! Man oh man is that one sweet looking and even better sound mandolin! I think you are going to be one happy picker for a long while.....that mandolin would cure MAS for anyone for at least a six months....:mandosmiley::grin:

JEStanek
Nov-12-2009, 8:56am
Sweet and congratulations. That's a great mandolin.

Jamie

sgarrity
Nov-12-2009, 11:31am
That is a great looking and sounding mandolin! Great job Mr. Duff. You're gonna be a happy picker.

lenf12
Nov-12-2009, 12:48pm
My heart be still!! That is incredibly gorgeous and that coming from a guy with a Duff F-5 and H-5 'dola hanging around my house. It may time to add an A-5 to the collection. Best of luck and happy pickin'.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Steevarino
Nov-12-2009, 6:39pm
My Word! What a wonderful looking and sounding instrument! That Mr. Duff sure knows what he is doing. Great work, all the way around!

mtucker
Nov-12-2009, 6:41pm
That's one nice axe! Play it like you stole it! :mandosmiley:

John Gardinsky
Nov-12-2009, 7:03pm
That mandolin is just as nice as the man who made it. I am excited for you.

jasona
Nov-12-2009, 11:31pm
Fantastic looking instrument! Congrats!

Mike Black
Nov-12-2009, 11:35pm
Thanks for the pictures! Now I have a bad case of MAS. :mandosmiley:

I've always loved the traditional Loar A5 look. The way it otta be!

Congratulations!

Chris Biorkman
Nov-12-2009, 11:42pm
Sounds exactly like a mandolin should. Congrats!

grassrootphilosopher
Nov-13-2009, 5:23am
To tell you the truth, I'd never really thought of either the "regular" or the abrievated as looking better than the other.

In terms of looks I actually like no pickguard at all - but I like the idea of protecting the top of the mando in that area. Guess that's why the appeal of using the smaller pickguard.

For me... the more of the top of the instrument I get to look at - the better.

:mandosmiley:

Youre spot on. It took me some time to get used to the pickguard on my "expensive" mando. I like the fact that I dont rub on/through the finish like on my old Strad-O-Lin though.

As far as looks... A discussion would lead nowhere. I also like the look of the abbreviated pickguard (at least this one; while I dont like a pickguard done with wood etc.). I just prefer the "regular" ones though.

Enjoy your instrument in good health!

acruzn
Nov-13-2009, 7:23am
that is right purty and sounds mighty fine. :mandosmiley::mandosmiley::mandosmiley:

bluegrassgm
Nov-13-2009, 7:33am
Thanks for the kind words everyone.
What a nice bunch of mando-tragics we all are here at the Cafe.

Hope you found the build photos interesting.

Cheers!

jonwints
Oct-11-2010, 12:17am
You are fortunate to own such a fine instrument Chris, but having recently heard your great bluegrass band, you are a pro and deserve a great instrument like a Duff. I also proudly own a 2010, F5 Duff. It is superb in every respect. Keep on pickin' Chris!

Pete Counter
Oct-11-2010, 3:16pm
Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed that!

f5joe
Oct-22-2010, 10:46am
Sorry that I missed this thread when originally posted. Paul Duff, aside from building fantastic mandolins, is a gentlemans gentleman.

Nick Gellie
Aug-09-2013, 5:27am
Here is a little clip Paul put up on youtube - enjoy.

Is this top X-braced or does it have tone bars? I imagine that Chris wanted an authentic A-5 so maybe it has tone bars.

Eric Michael Pfeiffer
Aug-09-2013, 5:36am
Really nice looking!

Marc Berman
Aug-09-2013, 5:37am
Is this top X-braced or does it have tone bars? I imagine that Chris wanted an authentic A-5 so maybe it has tone bars.

Tone bars - see post #2 of this thread.

Winfield
Aug-09-2013, 5:58am
Absolutely a stunning looking AND sounding mandolin. Congratulations!!

red7flag
Aug-09-2013, 6:40am
Beautiful mixture of brights and basses providing a wonderful complex overall sound. I was transfixed listening to that clip. The physical beauty of that instrument was superimposed by the stunning beauty of the instrument played and listened to. As it should be, but rarely is. That is a tremendous instrument.