PDA

View Full Version : lefty flipping strings on righty mando

leftyjim
Sep-08-2009, 6:47pm
A friend of mine helped me do this on a used $30 mandolin for a 12 pack of ale. I've had it about 3 months and would like to upgrade soon. Can't play very well at all yet but can tell I'm going to stick with it. Cheapest F-style's made in a lefty seems to be the Michael Kelly, which I've been told to avoid, is out of my price range. Should I buy another A-style and flip the strings again? (I would probably have this done by a professional on a more expensive mandolin). Would like to spend a total of about about $400. Anymore than that and I think I would just hold off until I could afford a lefty made F-style. Thoughts?

mandroid
Sep-08-2009, 7:05pm
Oval Hole A types with a single cross brace can be flipped with a special upper bridge [intonation offsets are mirror images too], and re notched Nut.

F hole A strings[& F mandolins] with Tone bars have asymmetric placement for bass side in comparison with the treble side.

I would advise an A style made for a lefty, so the bracing is a mirror image of a rightie too ..

Forgo the scroll it costs extra time to make and doesn't improve the sound , just some solid blocks of wood.

Folkmusician.com
Sep-08-2009, 7:06pm
Howdy Jim,

I do quite a few lefty conversions (actually working on one today). I don't think this is a bad route to go at all. There just isn't a good selection of factory lefties at the lower price points, or at least anything worth buying. To do this right, you need to change the nut and most importantly the bridge. For reference, I charge $150 to do this which includes the bridge, nut and all labor. To do it yourself, you are looking at about $50-$60 for a good bridge and bone nut.

I am sure I could be bought for a case of ale as well. Current favorite is Mendocino Brewing Company's "Red Tail Ale". I love that stuff. Of course, results may vary after a couple. :)

A Kentucky will make a great lefty and still keep the costs down.

MikeEdgerton
Sep-08-2009, 8:29pm
Actually you'd never hear the difference flipping an A style with F holes, it's been discussed here many times. The placement of the tonebars has no effect on the sound, not that anyone will be able to hear anyway. Your biggest problem will be that the fingerboard dots will be on the bottom and not the top of the neck. No big deal really, it's easy to add the dots. Frank Ford has an article on doing it on www.frets.com.

Take a look at these (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/search.php?query=lefty&exactname=0&starteronly=0&forumchoice%5B%5D=45&prefixchoice%5B%5D=&childforums=1&titleonly=1&searchdate=0&beforeafter=after&do=process) threads. The subjects that are applicable will jump right out at you.

leftyjim
Sep-08-2009, 8:56pm
Thanks guys!

Robert- I'll keep you in mind once I decide what I'm going to do. Haven't heard of Mendocino Brewing Company before. I'll check it out, hope its available in my area. My fav is Bell's 2 hearted Ale. Sorry, I know this isn't a beer message board.

Mike- Very Helpful! However, after skimming through those threads it looks like the best thing to do would be to order a custom made weber lefty. Um, I wish.

I think after I learn how to play this darn thing I'm going to learn how to build them and make only lefty's. I wonder how many lefty's have said that before. hahaha

But seriously, thanks for the info guys. This is a great board!

man dough nollij
Sep-08-2009, 10:56pm
You also might try posting a "Wanted to Buy: Affordable Lefty" ad on the Cafe classifieds. A lot of folks (some sinister) read it regularly.