PDA

View Full Version : Post Your Picture of Bill Monroe

mandopete
Sep-08-2009, 9:58am
This week in honor of the passing of the Father of Bluegrass I thought it might be fun for us to post our pictures of Bill. These should be pictures you've taken yourself. My guess is that anyone here who got to see Mr. Bill probably has a photo somewheres.

This one was taken at the Wintergrass festival in 1995. I couldn't believe they got Bill Monroe for the first festival in '94 and I missed it
:(

Well I was not going to miss my second opportunity to see him here in the Pacific Northwest. He was playing with the Bluegrass Boys over in the church venue and I and my friend Alan were looking for two seats when a couple in the first row got up and left right before Bill came on.
:disbelief:

I didn't get to meet him or talk to him. Honestly at that time in my life I still didn't really know what he meant to the musical world (but I learned).
;)

Doug Edwards
Sep-08-2009, 10:23am
Here's one taken by John Storey he took in Missouri some time back, with John's F5L.

barry k
Sep-08-2009, 11:57am
heres to you Bill.....

evanreilly
Sep-08-2009, 9:40pm
Mr. Bill giving me and my mandolin a trial by fire. He liked it.

jim simpson
Sep-08-2009, 10:23pm
I took this one of Bill and band at Sunset Park in West Grove, PA in the early 90's. Gene Lowinger (former Bluegrass Boy) was invited to play a couple of tunes. I sure miss Bill & also miss Sunset Park. Glad I got to see him so many times.

mandopete
Sep-09-2009, 9:41am
Very cool, keep 'em comming!

AlanN
Sep-09-2009, 9:43am
Evan, Peaceful Valley? (I think) I was there.

mandopete
Sep-09-2009, 9:47am
Alan - surely you have a photo of Mr. Bill....

AlanN
Sep-09-2009, 9:50am
Actually, I do Pete. It is a cool thing that I was looking for this A.M., couldn't find. Hold onto your Stetson, you'll like it.

mandopete
Sep-09-2009, 9:53am
Where's Scotti ?

Big Joe
Sep-09-2009, 10:27am
Here are some photos I got from Charlie Derrington of the Monroe restoration. Enjoy them. I have been going to post them for some time.

Big Joe
Sep-09-2009, 10:28am
And some more.....

Big Joe
Sep-09-2009, 10:29am
And some more....

Ben Milne
Sep-09-2009, 11:03am
nice pics. thanks!

Tom Mullen
Sep-09-2009, 11:04am
I posted this pic yesterday on another thread, but here goes anyway. About 1995 he was in Montana, and let several of us get our pic with him.

Scotti Adams
Sep-09-2009, 11:07am
Where's Scotti ?

Im right here. Sorry I dont have any pics to share. I think my sister ended up with them after my mom died and I cant convince her that I would like to have them. I do/did have some cool pics of Bill and I when I was 13 at Beanblossom. We were camped out in the back field at BB when I look up and here comes Bill..all by himself..nobody but him. I think most people were skeered to approach him but my dad convinced me to approach him with my Alvarez mando. So with knees buckling I did. When I got to him the first thing he asked was "Son can you play that thing" In my cocky, nervous 13 yr old voice I said " Sure I can" He asked me to play Bile them Cabbage Down..I did..but of course it wasnt right. He took my mando..nope didnt ask for it..just took it and commenced to showing me how it was done. This went on for about a half hour trading the mando back and forth. By this time there was quite a crowd forming. I didnt know this but Time magazine was there plus tons of Japanese tourists. So Time magazine was snapping pics as were the tourists. Well before I knew it Bill had someone go to his bus to get "The" mando. Thats when he handed me the mando with the manly action and then I realized I had my work cut out for me..still do. So somewhere out there there are some pics of Bill and I..me with his mando and he with my Alvarez trading licks...well not trading licks but rather he teaching me how its supposed to be done. Ive also got some picks of myself in the Sunset jam..funny thing is he never sent me to the back of the line...he was testing me. I often wondered if I passed his test. Needless to say this was a very memorable experience for me. There were other times that He and I played together ..while just as memorable..there was something about the time at Beanblossom.."The House that Mon Built"

AlanN
Sep-09-2009, 11:19am
U da (manly) man!

Randy Smith
Sep-09-2009, 11:48am
I often wondered if I passed his test. Needless to say this was a very memorable experience for me. There were other times that He and I played together ..while just as memorable..there was something about the time at Beanblossom.."The House that Mon Built"

Scotti, thanks for the great story. What a nice way to honor B.M. today.

R.S.

Bill Halsey
Sep-09-2009, 10:35pm
I've put these up before, but this may be the time to revisit Berryville '68...

Bill Halsey
Sep-09-2009, 10:39pm

Billywally
Sep-09-2009, 10:44pm
Here is my favorite taken in Canby Oregon a ferw years back. The man surprised us all and we enjoyed it

Bill Halsey
Sep-09-2009, 10:48pm
...the tune was "Dusty Miller"...

Bill Halsey
Sep-09-2009, 10:53pm
...that's it!

mandopete
Sep-10-2009, 8:59am
Cool pix Bill!

Okay, just to keep this thread humming here's another one from Wintergrass 1995. I recall a presvious thread where we talked about how Monroe would approach a microphone for a break.

Alan - we're still waiting for your photo!

evanreilly
Sep-10-2009, 9:51am
AlanN: Yep, that pic was taken @ Peaceful Valley, probably '88 or '89.
INstead of putting up more pix of WSM, here is a little audio to go with Bill Halsey's picture.
Bill showing his old-time fiddle tune mode!!

AlanN
Sep-10-2009, 10:00am
Nice audio, thanks

I think it was '88 (frikkin 21 years ago), cause it was the year I was married (or, as Ralph would say, murdered).

MikeEdgerton
Sep-10-2009, 10:06am
Here are some photos I got from Charlie Derrington of the Monroe restoration. Enjoy them. I have been going to post them for some time.

Those should probably be added to the images in the manbdolin archive.

Darryl Wolfe
Sep-10-2009, 10:55am
...the tune was "Dusty Miller"...

I must have been standing right next to you when you took these

Darryl Wolfe
Sep-10-2009, 10:58am
same day

AlanN
Sep-12-2009, 3:18pm
FRETS Magazine

evanreilly
Sep-12-2009, 4:16pm
Some of my fave pix:

D C Blood
Sep-17-2009, 6:26pm
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=109&pictureid=893

I took the little inset photo on the Uncle Pen Fiddle Album...

Al Hagensen
Sep-18-2009, 2:26pm
Hi, When I was a young man I had the great opportunity to be invited to Bill Monroe's Birthday party at Tex Logans house in Madison,N.J.
This was wonderful and I just wanted to share some pic's with all of you.
Some of the performers were Tex,Big Mon,Peter Rowan, the Bluegrass 45 from Japan and Kenny Baker. Anyone else that knows any others please send info.
Enjoy,Al:mandosmiley:

Al Hagensen
Sep-18-2009, 2:28pm
Hey, Here are some more...Enjoy!!

Al Hagensen
Sep-18-2009, 2:31pm
And the last....:mandosmiley:

f5loar
Sep-21-2009, 9:47pm
A proud Monroe plays a new Loar NO. 73005 in 1986.

AlanN
Sep-22-2009, 6:14am
Dang.

Monroe hat-less, playing with long-haired hippie Rowan. And Akira is on the Duffey duck.

Terrific photos, thanks.

Skip Kelley
Sep-22-2009, 6:31am
Hey Tom, Was that the show with Jim and Jesse in Linconton? And you brought a Loar and Monroe played it? I was there!!

Raymond E.
Sep-22-2009, 8:12am
Mornin'...
Al..I can see Jack Hicks on banjo,Joe Stuart on guitar and Monroe Fields on bass. I thought that was a fun band with Monroe...singing was great...

Loafer

Al Hagensen
Sep-22-2009, 8:42am
Hey, Yeah that was a GREAT day & night,Tex had a cook out in the afternoon followed by some wonderful pickin' and singing! I wish I had known then what I do now and taken some time to spend one on one with Mr.Monroe. I'll never forget that day! I hope more people enjoy these pic.'s!
Al :mandosmiley:

mandopete
Sep-22-2009, 9:05am
Al - those are some truly wonderful pictures, thanks for sharing them!

BTW, there is a reference to these gatherings at Tex Logan's house in the liner notes from the Smithsonian Folkways recording Bill Monroe & The Bluegrass Boys - Live Recordings 1956 -1969 Off The Record Volume 1

AlanN
Oct-03-2009, 8:53am
From a rubber stamp, looks like the 60's