PDA

View Full Version : Child Interested in Expanding Musical Future

Mandolin2842
Sep-04-2009, 7:45pm
So I'm young. About a year ago I decided I wanted to play music for a living. Mandolin specifically. However, my father, Jeff X, actually does this. Only he plays the banjo. So I've seen first hand how little income it tends to pull in. Therefore, in addition to my goal of playing mandolin for a living, I also made a plan to get a scholarship to Berklee in Boston and study the business of music in hopes that in doing so, I might be able to further my horizons. Doubtful. So that is were goal C and this thread comes in.
I passionately enjoy the mandolin and have always been fascinated by it. So one day it hit me. I want to learn how to build. Unfortunately, I can’t afford to go to the camps for building and such on a single banjo player’s salary. But I do have someone who has offered to teach me if I can bring my own wood and tools, understandably. If I was going to show someone how to build I doubt Id risk having them break my own tools and cost me a few grand.
So to end this terrible ramble of a post, I ask: where can I buy wood/tools on the cheaper side? I really would like to learn and I appreciate any help. Thanks

Musically:mandosmiley:

Moderator's Note: In general it is not appropriate for minors to post their ages or full names. This prevents people from tracking our younger members down so easily. Welcome to the Café but please remember this is a very public space and refrain from posting too much personal information.

mrmando
Sep-04-2009, 8:06pm
First, get a list from your future instructor of exactly what tools he/she expects you to have. Then get on the mailing list for every auctioneer in your area; it's very common for secondhand tools to be sold in estate or business-liquidation auctions. Keep an eye on Craigslist. You can save Craigslist searches to your browser's bookmarks and then check them every day.

Occasionally tools and wood are sold here on the Classifieds, so you can check there too.

ThePartialSeries
Sep-04-2009, 8:13pm
Not to diminish the building thing but come to Berklee. They're really good at making sure you make money when you get out, they have given plenty of mandolin scholarships and though i wont name names, there are some big ones :)

sunburst
Sep-05-2009, 8:42am
Why not put a "wanted" ad in the classifieds here. Lots of builders end up with duplicate tools, tools they don't use, tools they might like to sell cheap or even give away. Then you can start off on your lucrative mandolin building career!!
OK, so that last part was sort of a bad joke, but the phrase that comes to mind when I read about going from playing mandolin to building mandolins to make more money is "out of the frying pan and into the fire". I supect the average busy mandolinist and the average busy luthier have similar incomes, but when you get to the top of each field, there's more room for players and probably more income to be had. I think Thile makes more money than Gilchrist, but I'm guessing.

Back to tools; get only what you need and only when you need them. Over the years most of us accumulate quite a few tools, but trying to "tool up" from scratch can be more expensive than Berklee!

fred d
Sep-05-2009, 11:44am
:cool: Best of luck Young man I love your style pleas E mail me a Kauwla @surewest.net to see if I have some tools I will give you :popcorn:fred davis

Stephanie Reiser
Sep-06-2009, 4:53pm
After you figure out what tools and such you will need when the teacher shows you how to build, if you send me a PM I can probably find some extra items in my shop. Especially chisels, gouges, and maybe some wood.
Good luck! and keep us informed.

pops1
Sep-08-2009, 7:55am
Older used chisels are affordable in antique stores, they will need sharpening, but so will any new chisel that you might buy. If you can find an old block plane, it is much better quality and less money. I found a 20's stanley for $25 and sold the new ones. Anything sharp will need sharpening to build (new or used) and if you can get it used it will save you lots.