PDA

View Full Version : My custom Weber

Flanagan
Feb-10-2004, 9:25am
I'm a photographer by trade, but a mandolin player by desire. This is my custom Bitteroot with the Big Sky finish. It sounds even better than it looks. My friends in the old time string band have said: " Now that's how a mandolin is supposed to sound!"

Robert Smith
Lombard, IL

Michael H Geimer
Feb-10-2004, 10:14am
I love the nice warm red in the center of the burst. I have a 'Big Sky' Bitterroot as well, that leans more toward yellow in the center.

But it's really not about looks of these wonderful Webers now, is it? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

- Benig

Russ(String-Alley)
Feb-10-2004, 2:07pm
yup, she looks great....
and of course I would tend to agree....

cheers fellow Weberphiles!

mandopaul
Feb-23-2004, 5:33pm
How old is this biterroot? Tone bars? What kind of wood on the back, she sure is a beauty.

Do you use medium or light strings

mandopaul
Feb-23-2004, 5:36pm
By the way, how did you attach the photo, I tried to open mine from the a drive, and do a preview post afterward, but nothing happens, no picture.

ShaneJ
Feb-23-2004, 5:47pm
Turn it sideways and up the resolution, and that picture would sure make a great addition to the Wallpaper section of the Cafe!

Joe F
Feb-24-2004, 8:21am
mandopaul,
If you preview your post, you have to re-enter the link for the attached image before posting. #I'm not sure why that is, but it works for me.

mandopaul
Feb-24-2004, 12:30pm
Here it is (i hope)

mandopaul
Feb-24-2004, 12:52pm
Thanks for your help in posting pictures. This color of my Bitterroot is called vintage chocolate. I've never heard of it (or saw it before), but while dark, looks nice in the sun. These are really nice mandos, & hope to own it for a long time.

Flanagan
Feb-24-2004, 1:23pm
Hey Mando Paul,

In response, my Bitteroot was built in early December of '03 and has tone bars. This Yellowstone finish on the Bitteroot is very poular around here. The sides and back are mahogany. #I've played a Yellowstone with the maple back and sides and, (with all due respect), prefer the mahogany sound. #I was hoping for more defined lines in the spruce top, but, after playing a few tunes I was sold. #Words like "rich", "deep", and "full" just aren't enough to describe the sound of this mando. I'm so happy to see that there are others like me who appreciate the quality and value of Weber mandolins. the strap was made by Lauren Dudenbostel. #I've attached another photo which I also have in hi res.

Flanagan
Feb-24-2004, 1:40pm
Hey Mando Paul,

In response, my Bitteroot was built in early December of '03 and has tone bars. This Yellowstone finish on the Bitteroot is very poular around here. The sides and back are mahogany. I've played a Yellowstone with the maple back and sides and, (with all due respect), prefer the mahogany sound. I was hoping for more defined lines in the spruce top, but, after playing a few tunes I was sold. Words like "rich", "deep", and "full" just aren't enough to describe the sound of this mando. I'm so happy to see that there are others like me who appreciate the quality and value of Weber mandolins. the strap was made by Lauren Dudenbostel. I've attached another photo which I also have in hi res.

mandopaul
Feb-25-2004, 10:58pm
Hi Flanagan, what state do you come from? I'm from upstate N.Y., near the Catskill Mountains. Well, you have a brand new one too. Mine was finished in the begining of Feb. this month! What do you mean about more lines in the top on your last post? Well, how has it opened up, or is it too soon to tell? Heard these get to be quite different sounding a few years down the road.

Well, keep pickin' & grinin' http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Flanagan
Feb-26-2004, 3:42pm
Hey Mando Paul,
I'm from Lombard. Illinois, about 20 miles west of Chicago. In regards to the lines, I was referring to the grain of the spruce in the top. The Weber I saw at the shop had very strong, clearly defined lines in the spruce which really set it apart. The one I ordered did not, but it sounded so good I chose to buy it rather than wait for the next one. Good thing, too, 'cuz the prices went up the day mine came in! As for opening up, my mando has always played loud and clear, and I practice 2 or 3 hours a night, so I'm around it too often to hear a distinct difference over time. Please tell me what you've heard about the sound changing over the years.
Best wishes,
Bob
P.S. My family's first recorded birth was in Jordan, NY in 1796! (Sarah Lewis)

mandopaul
Feb-27-2004, 8:09pm
Hi Flanagan,

You mentioned you are a photographer, what kind do you do?

As for the changing over time, the mandolin will get a different sounding tone, deeper lows and higher treble the more it is played and the older it gets.

Jordan, NY - where is that in relation to the next biggest city or town? 1796 - wow, you can trace your roots back!

Flanagan
Feb-27-2004, 11:30pm
Hey Mando Paul,
I'm a commercial photographer. You can see my stuff on my web site:

http://www.rsphotoltd.com

Thanks for the info about "aging" Webers. As I was playing tonight I did notice more volume from my Bitteroot. I use 3 or 4 different types of picks to get different sounds - heavy 2.0mm Dunlop Big Stubbies for Irish and Old Time, and rounded Golden Gate picks for bluegrass. What type of music are you playing on your Weber?
Best wishes,
Bob Smith
P.S. I'll ask my dad about Jordan, NY

Kirby161
Mar-02-2004, 9:14pm
Im from about 40miles away from the weber factory, it gives me jitters when i drive by, so much goodness in one building.