PDA

View Full Version : Flatiron Information

kelvin
Sep-03-2009, 10:26am
Hello folks,
I have a a question that I am sure I can get answered here. I have a friend who does not play mandolin but has one that I took home after a jam to put some new strings on it. It is a Flatiron 5f custom. You hear a lot about the artist models and the performer models but I have never heard anything on the f5 custom models. It was made in bozeman and I can't make out the name of the person who signed it. What do you think the value would be on this instrument.

thanks in a advance
Kelvin

fatt-dad
Sep-03-2009, 10:31am
couple-three grand or such. photo may help.

Russ Jordan
Sep-03-2009, 11:06am
I owned a Flatiron Custom F5 that had block inlays--pretty sure I posted photos here a few years back, but can't find them. The folks at Weber said that less than 10 of them were made.

kelvin
Sep-03-2009, 11:26am
Russ,
This one has the block inlays on the neck also.......and it is in mint condition. Do you think I could call Weber for some info.

kelvin

AlanN
Sep-03-2009, 11:38am
If it's the pure Custom, it's worth a bit more than 3k, I would think. In the mid-80's, the high-end Flatiron line consisted of F-5 Artist, F-5 Master, F-5 Custom, in ascending order.

MikeEdgerton
Sep-03-2009, 11:47am
The Russ referenced is here (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6181&highlight=flatiron+Custom).

AlanN
Sep-03-2009, 11:51am
ok, that's a later vintage than what I was referring to. The 80's version was likely signed by Steve Carlson.

Russ Jordan
Sep-03-2009, 11:55am
Russ,
This one has the block inlays on the neck also.......and it is in mint condition. Do you think I could call Weber for some info.

kelvin

Can't hurt to try, but since the Flatiron records have been moved, I doubt you will get much information.

kelvin
Sep-03-2009, 12:23pm
I think the signature on this one was from Dennis Balan

kelvin
Sep-03-2009, 12:25pm
It for sure looks like the one pictured. When I get home tonight I will check the serial number. I think the first two numbers will tell you what year it was built

Thanks for all the info guys I really apprecieate it.

Kelvin

mandolirius
Sep-03-2009, 2:27pm
I think the signature on this one was from Dennis Balan

Dennis Balian.

Bill Van Liere
Sep-03-2009, 5:35pm
Dennis Balian.

Dennis signed Flatirons in 1988 right after Carlson. Montana made.

brown akers
Sep-03-2009, 6:47pm
Mandolin World Headquarters has a Dennis Balian signed 1988 Flatiron F5 Artist Model (what color on that back!) priced at $4750 - these early Flatirons have really taken off in name recognition and reputation and they are reflecting that in their holding their value thru the current downturn in pricing. You might want a real appraisal on the value done, for insurance purposes also.

If you need any more proof of the value of Flatirons - Intermountain Guitar & Banjo in Salt Lake has a 1983 A5-2 with some of the most incredible quilted maple I've ever seen - but $4500?

Kelvin, a Custom with Block Inlays in the fretboard - be sure you research that one friend. You have a real jewel there. And in mint condition? Get outta here.

jefflester
Sep-03-2009, 7:06pm
If you need any more proof of the value of Flatirons - Intermountain Guitar & Banjo in Salt Lake has a 1983 A5-2 with some of the most incredible quilted maple I've ever seen - but $4500?
OOOOOOHHHHH!!!!

http://www.guitarandbanjo.com/pics/5587-4.jpg

brown akers
Sep-03-2009, 7:30pm
See what I mean? Wonder what the story is with this build - man I've never seen any style of Flatiron A or F style with Quilt like this.
Someone please buy this so I quit looking at it - but again I have to ask - worth $4500?

fatt-dad
Sep-03-2009, 9:46pm
Is the A5-2 really priced at $4,500.00? Wow!

It was probably six years ago, I bought my A5-1 for $1,200.00. Don't get me wrong, it's not for sale, but I always thought it to be a $2,400.00 mandolin in today's market. I'd never think the "2" would be a $2,000.00 upcharge, even with the quilt (my back is pretty flamed). So, maybe the Gibson/Balian Flatiron F5-Custom is in the vicinity of $4,000.00.

How does it sound? How is it braced? Any photos?

f-d

brown akers
Sep-03-2009, 10:17pm
Fatt-dad, I think the days of finding a Flatiron at a reasonable price is long gone - these prices are an example of a dealer who realizes these will appreciate in value alot in the future and wanting to cash in on that fact. Can't blame them for that but harder to find a real deal anymore. Just too well known now.
But your point is the thing - how do they sound for the price?
Case in point - Mandolin World Headquarters has a 85' Flatiron A5-Jr. in excellent condition, built on the same benches by the same luthiers as all the others - and signed by Steve Carlson. With the plain maple back and sides, asking price - $1750 with a case.
I'd like to side by side compare this one with the A5-2 for $ 4500. That' what I'd like to hear.

fatt-dad
Sep-04-2009, 7:48am
Brown,

I saw the A5-jr at vintagemandolin.com and wondered about it as well (not that I'm buying). The 'jr' is tone-bar braced and the '2' is x-braced. Otherwise, I'd bet the gradations are very similar. Whether the bracing makes that much difference is unclear (well to me at least).

f-d

Jim Garber
Sep-04-2009, 8:42am
I bought my 83 A5-2 new and was impressed by the flame maple back. It is still a great mandolin -- I used to call it the poor man's Monteleone. I am not surprised that they are rising in price.

BTW IG&B also lists an 84 A5-2 for $4000.

Capt. E
Sep-04-2009, 8:54am
See what I mean? Wonder what the story is with this build - man I've never seen any style of Flatiron A or F style with Quilt like this.
Someone please buy this so I quit looking at it - but again I have to ask - worth $4500?

Take a look at some of Tom Ellis' mandolins if you want to see some more incredibly beautiful quilting and flame. www.ellismandolins.com

kelvin
Sep-04-2009, 9:59am
Well I spoke to Greg Boyd about the mandolin yesterday and He gave me alot of information about the mandolin and as to what makes it a custom. According to Greg the block fret markers was on thing that made it a custom as well as triple binding i.e. white/black/white. He also told me that the first two numbers of the serial number will tell you the year.

So I went home and first checked the serial number it was made in 1989. Re inspected the mando for condition.......it is mint no checking, dings, very litle sings of wear on the body of the mandolin.....a bit of dulling of the finish above and around the lower f hole.....propbably from planting or brushing as it was played....there is no pick guard.

It has larger fret wire than my gibson and there is wear on the frets up to the fith fret telling me that the mando was at one timed played quite a bit.

I changed out the stings, cleaned and polished the body......the tuners where a bit tight but they loosened up fine with a bit of rotation.

After changing the strings I played it for a bit......My first impression was the tone was a bit thin.......so i put in on my tone-rite over night........big difference in the morning.......So i guess all these years in the case had kind of put the mando to sleep.....I think this is going to be a good mando when it is played in.

Volumn is good....not a cannon but good.......

thanks for all the info guys I really appreciate your imput.

kelvin

Andy Alexander
Sep-04-2009, 11:15am
My son graduated from a stradolin to an A5 Jr a couple of years ago. He has developed a bit of scroll envy and was thinking about trading up using some of his CD sales money. A half dozen well known world-class players tried his A5 Jr and the concensus was that his mandolin sounds better than a lot of $4000-5000 F models. He decided that the A5 Jr was plenty good enough for him to keep playing on at least for another couple of years. He also decided that that he wouldn't trade it towards another mandolin but buy the next one outright and keep the A5 Jr.