PDA

View Full Version : My Silverangel #300

bobbyD
Aug-28-2009, 12:15am
Wow,
So after seeing Ken's last distressed F style, (of which i tried to buy but it was already spoken for) I decided to throw in the "I'm a responsible steward of my money" card and have Ken build me one from Scratch. Let me tell you, it has been so amazing and tons of fun to get some incredible pictures along the way. Now it's nearing completion and I can't contain it anymore. I'm sharing some work in progress pics with everyone. Not only is she a beaut, but Ken said she sounds incredible already too. Said he MAY have to just keep her. :grin:

bobbyD
Aug-28-2009, 12:17am
And some more.

D C Blood
Aug-28-2009, 6:35am
Looks great BobbyD...with your kind permission I'm going to post these on the Myspace SA site...Cory is really enjoying (and playing the heck out of) the one you missed, #294...

Skip Kelley
Aug-28-2009, 7:11am
Bobby, congratulations! That is one sweet looing mando!!!

bobbyD
Aug-28-2009, 9:57am
Feel free to post it to the Myspace site. Thanks for the kind words. Can't wait to get my hands on that thing!! :mandosmiley:

D C Blood
Aug-28-2009, 12:51pm
BobbyD...it's on the front page as a slideshow...looks mighty fine. Of course, it'd have to go some to outdo mine...
:cool::whistling:

D C Blood
Aug-28-2009, 6:28pm
By the way BobbyD....now that you're a gen-u-wine, bone-fide Silverangel owner (almost), you need to join the Silverangel Social group...we've been kind of stagnating lately.:popcorn:

bobbyD
Aug-28-2009, 11:02pm
By the way BobbyD....now that you're a gen-u-wine, bone-fide Silverangel owner (almost), you need to join the Silverangel Social group...we've been kind of stagnating lately.:popcorn:

Sounds good. You may need to provide me a link though. Not sure where to find it. Also...my real name is Dylan. Getting called Bobby just doesn't sound right. I was named after Bob Dylan though so that's where the screen name comes in I guess.

Andrew Roberts
Aug-28-2009, 11:26pm
Dylan,
That is my econo sitting next to your F-style. Ken sent me that picture yesterday and I was wondering whose very attractive F that was. We make a pretty attractive couple, no? I'm sure you are just as excited as I am to get it her in your hands!

Andrew Roberts
Aug-28-2009, 11:27pm
Also, that is a very cool headstock inlay.

D C Blood
Aug-29-2009, 6:27am
OK Dylan...just go to the top of the page, right under the Mandolin Cafe logo, You'll see "Social Groups" second category from the right. Click on it, page through all the different groups available till you find the one that says "Silverangel/Ratcliff ... Then there should be a link that says "join group"...

bobbyD
Aug-29-2009, 10:38pm
Dylan,
That is my econo sitting next to your F-style. Ken sent me that picture yesterday and I was wondering whose very attractive F that was. We make a pretty attractive couple, no? I'm sure you are just as excited as I am to get it her in your hands!

Andrew,
Hey that's awesome to meet the owner of the other mando! Yours sure looks like it's got some nice wood on it too!!

Mark Walker
Aug-31-2009, 11:08am
Dylan - great looking mandolin! I'm sure you're chomping at the bit to get that beauty in your hands.

Here's a direct LINK (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=2)to the Silver Angel social group.

Ken - that photo of those two mandolins is stunning! You sure have some great sources for curly maple; the grain on your mandolin backs is consistently top-shelf!

kyken
Sep-01-2009, 6:01am
thanks mark, this is some of the wood I found in an old barn loft awhile back, nice old wood. I'm varnishing these two now, slow job, but my favorite part, got another econo in the works at the same time though.

wildpikr
Sep-01-2009, 6:45am
Those are two sweet looking mandolins, Ken. No doubt they have a killer sound, too!

To the owners-in-waiting...your anticipation will be well rewarded.

Andrew Roberts
Sep-01-2009, 2:27pm
Hey Ken,
I didn't know the maple for these two came from an old barn. That is so cool! Was it a barn near Elliottville?

kyken
Sep-01-2009, 5:22pm
Yes, near my shop. It was way up in the loft, and dry as a bone, been there forever. I couldn't hardly contain my excitement when I saw it, but did manage to. I said, " how how how much do you want want want fot it"? $2 a board foot. "SSSSSold!

Andrew Roberts
Sep-01-2009, 10:24pm
Haha, well I guess that worked out pretty well for all of us! I should really be working on a research abstract due by Thursday at midnight, but I am too busy practicing mandolin and anxiously waiting to have a new, beautiful mandolin in my hands!

bobbyD
Sep-02-2009, 12:07am
Yes, near my shop. It was way up in the loft, and dry as a bone, been there forever. I couldn't hardly contain my excitement when I saw it, but did manage to. I said, " how how how much do you want want want fot it"? $2 a board foot. "SSSSSold!

Ha great story! AND great deal on some awesome wood too!! Makes it that much more fun to know a little history behind the instrument.

mntmandoman253
Sep-17-2009, 10:09am
Hey congrats on your Silverangel. Ken builds one awesome axe. I own #253 and got her in Oct. 06 and she just gets better and better. When Ken built her I got the opportunity to visit his home and shop and got to see and hold and play mine while it was still in the white. Ken is I think one of the finest luthiers out there and would recommend anyone who is thinking of purchasing a mandolin to check out his mandolins. Hope you read this Ken

D C Blood
Sep-17-2009, 12:47pm
Well Dylan??? Has it arrived???>:grin:

bobbyD
Sep-17-2009, 1:18pm
Oh yea, it's hear! :) It's an amazing sounding mando too. I've been meaning to put some pics up but have been too busy picking in the evenings. There's a little buzzing w/ the strings due to the change in climate from Kentucky to CO...so I'm waiting for it to settle in and will take in in for a set up. In the meantime though it's still sounding great and boy is she perdy! :)

Jason Kindall
Sep-18-2009, 8:23pm
:popcorn: