PDA

View Full Version : c.1928 (or so) Regal Octofone (pics & video!)

Jake Wildwood
Aug-27-2009, 2:56pm
Just finished up resto & setup on a late 1920s Regal Octofone (birch b&s&n) and you can listen to it in this YT clip:

vfJgv0kd_5M

More photos and more information can be found at:

Antebellum Instruments: c.1928 Regal Octofone (http://antebelluminstruments.blogspot.com/2009/08/c1928-regal-octofone.html)

Enjoy!

jefflester
Aug-27-2009, 4:31pm
So if I fill out the order form and send you $15 can I have it? :mandosmiley:

neal
Aug-27-2009, 5:44pm
That's a masterpiece. Worthy of the Smithsonian. The Octofone is equally nice.

Jake Wildwood
Aug-27-2009, 6:07pm
Jeff: You wish. ;)

Neal: Too kind! But thank you, anyhow!

Jill McAuley
Aug-27-2009, 11:58pm
Thanks for posting that Jake - I've been wanting to know what one of those sounded like! It looks and sounds awesome!

Cheers,
Jill

MikeEdgerton
Aug-28-2009, 7:40am
What's stamped into the back of the headstock?

JEStanek
Aug-28-2009, 8:16am
Always a fan of your work, Jake. Wonderful. Any pre-resto shots? I think lots of folks would be impressed by how much work you do on rescuing these old gems.

Jamie

billhay4
Aug-28-2009, 10:20am
Nice, Jake: restoration and playing.
Bill

Jake Wildwood
Aug-28-2009, 10:38am
Mike: Pat. Apld. For

Jamie: I might have some, but most likely not. I have a bad habit of starting projects right away...! Thanks for the kudos, though. :)

thistle3585
Aug-31-2009, 8:34pm
Nice restoration Jake. So, do you think you can do anything for my '33 Octofone. It didn't fair too well in the flood. :crying:

Jake Wildwood
Sep-01-2009, 10:53pm
Heh heh... I could, but I wouldn't want to work on it if I didn't have to. :)

thistle3585
Sep-02-2009, 7:16am
Actually, I was going to just take dimensions from it and build myself one then offer it to any aspiring repairman. I also have the original hardware if anyone wants it.

Jake, did you do anything to beef up the bracing? On mine, the soundboard ws sinking between the bridge and the soundhole.

allenhopkins
Sep-02-2009, 9:34am
How do you have yours tuned? I have mine in octave mandolin tuning, except I've got octave pairs on the G and D strings. Makes a nice full sound for vocal accompaniment. The action on mine is a bit high, which keeps me from using it a lot for single-string "lead" work.

Jake Wildwood
Sep-02-2009, 2:13pm
Andrew: I didn't bulk up the bracing as the top was in perfect shape. The neck had been pulled out and a hair warped by probably too-heavy strings. The strings I have on it right now (GHS Irish Bouzouki Mediums in octave pairs) are 040w to 010 or 011 on the top (can't remember).

This is a little "light" for octave mandolin strings, but seems to be just about perfect tension on this instrument. It's easy on the fingers, easy on the top, and drives the top enough but doesn't feel forced.

Allen: I think I just answered your question! :) But it indeed does make a great accompaniment instrument. I really like playing chord shapes up and down the neck, but like any tenor banjo-feeling neck, it feels too thin to me to be comfortable for true melody playing.

I like wider necks, though, to be fair.