PDA

View Full Version : the advantages of new vs. classifieds?

instrumentality
Aug-27-2009, 2:36pm
Hey everyone.
I'm happy with my flat top oval hole mando (for now!), but I want to buy a second - different - mando to keep at work. I've looked at a lot, and I keep coming back to the Eastman 505. Every time I play one they always feel really comfortable to me.

I'm in no hurry, but I do check the classifieds regularly, and there's an Eastman 505 listed for $485 including shipping. My thought is that it's nice to get a mando that has already been played in. My question is, does it make sense to buy used (the main advantage as I see it being that it's already opened up) or would it make more sense to buy a new one for only $65 more? ($550 is the best price I've found on a well-setup new one).

Thanks.

CES
Aug-27-2009, 2:52pm
It really comes down to whether you trust buying from an individual online and whether they're going to be honest about usual wear and set-up issues. All 3 (yikes) of my classifieds experiences have been very good, as all sellers were honest about the condition, action, fret wear, etc. All were very reasonably priced under 500 bucks as well...I don't think I could make myself shell out major league cash on a used instrument without playing it first, but then I'm a cheapskate. I have had an ebay special (Kentucky 675-s) that was an absolute disaster and pretty much scarred me for life, but that's a story for another time.

New and set up you really take those issues out of the equation...I tend to lean towards new with purchases where there's not really a price advantage to buying used, but if you can find a "like new" used one that's a great deal it can definitely be worth it...

lenf12
Aug-27-2009, 2:53pm
You may be able to negotiate a somewhat lower price than $485 with the seller in the classifieds. You won't get a warranty however like when buying new. What works best for you? I've never bought a brand new mandolin because I don't like the concept of depreciation which happens with all newly purchased items. I'd prefer to buy a minty or excellent condition instrument and let the previous owner take the depreciation hit. ymmv

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Steve Ostrander
Aug-27-2009, 3:30pm
For $65 more I'd probably buy new, but that's just me. Unless I knew the instrument was exceptional and I had to have it.

RichM
Aug-27-2009, 3:45pm
I almost always buy used when given a choice, since like a car, a musical instrument takes it's biggest depreciation hit when you drive it off the lot (okay, you don't drive mandolins off the lot, but you take my point). The benefit, of course, is that unless abused, a used musical instrument should play and sound at least as good (and sometimes better) than a new one.

That being said, the $65 difference is pretty small. That's a function of the $550 new price you're getting being a very good price (most ask closer to $600). If that's a local price, and you've played the mandolin and are happy with it, I would definitely go for it.

Either way, you're making a good choice-- the Eastman 505 is one of the best ways to get into a quality archtop mando without breaking the bank.

Rob Gerety
Aug-27-2009, 3:46pm
My experience is that used instruments in that price zone tend to sell for quite a bit more of a discount off the street price for a new instrument than $65. So, I would either negotiate a significant price reduction for the use instrument or buy new. Actually, I would probably just be patient and wait for another used mando to come along. It is a great time to be buying used instruments right now - a real buyer's market.

man dough nollij
Aug-27-2009, 3:58pm
That sounds a little high to me. I paid $499 for mine new, with shipping about eight months ago. I really like it. The advantage of buying new is you can either play a bunch, or have the store test drive a bunch and send you the best one. That's what I did through The Mandolin Store, and was very happy. :mandosmiley:

JEStanek
Aug-27-2009, 7:01pm
If the price difference is $65 buy new and have the lifetime warranty. Honestly! That's a pretty inexpensive life insurance policy on an instrument. That $65 difference is basically the same as having a new set up and fresh strings put on it... The new one makes more sense to me at that price difference.

New cars and mandolins essentially loose 30% as soon as the leave the lot/store. Unless you're talking about a collectable, someone selling for more than 70% of the original (or good price a new one can be found for on the net) is either a) not realistic b) hoping for an un-knowledgeable buyer c) doesn't really want to sell it but posting it in the classifieds to appease themselves or someone else in the household. I might consider $450 (including shipping) with a 48 hour trial period (where if I refuse I pay shipping for both ways) on a used one.

I'm an Eastman fan. I like the feel of their necks. I've not had a chance to play a roomful of them to hear the variability between them but, others report there is variability (just like with almost any production brand). Buying used is great, and there has been a great deal of satisfied Café Classifieds users here (I'm one and have sold a few through here too). But like any purchase make an informed decision.

Jamie

Schlegel
Aug-27-2009, 7:22pm
New cars and mandolins essentially loose 30% as soon as the leave the lot/store. Unless you're talking about a collectable, someone selling for more than 70% of the original (or good price a new one can be found for on the net) is either a) not realistic b) hoping for an un-knowledgeable buyer c) doesn't really want to sell it but posting it in the classifieds to appease themselves or someone else in the household. I might consider $450 (including shipping) with a 48 hour trial period (where if I refuse I pay shipping for both ways) on a used one.
Jamie

+1 for Jamie

Use this as your guideline.

jim_n_virginia
Aug-27-2009, 11:08pm
I mostly buy used but you have to be careful that YOU don't get "used!"

There will always be those who will try and sell something used for $5.00 less than what you could go buy it new for and for good reason!

Because it seems like there is always someone who is uninformed and not do their homework and not know any better (not talking about you!) and buy the over priced instrument!

bonny
Aug-28-2009, 7:26am
and there's an Eastman 505 listed for $485 including shipping.

Shipping?
Unless it was your only option why would you buy an instrument without playing it first? The only exception for me would be buying something unique from someone on a forum like this where you have a chance to know who you're dealing with.

recon
Aug-28-2009, 7:36am
The $485 for the used 505 does not even grab my attention. It would have to be less than $400 for me to think buying used was worth it.