PDA

View Full Version : Strap wear: #Right or Left shoulder?

WireBoy
Aug-23-2004, 9:35pm
Just an informal survey of the cafe at large. #I'm curious what the preavailing style might be. #Strap hung over the left shoulder so the strap goes straight down to the mando OR hung over the right shoulder so the strap stretches across the chest to the mando.

and why do you like it that way?

Me? #I'm a righty. #I like how I can keep the mando bottom bout edge angled into my chest with just a little pressure from my right arm. #This lets the rest of the mando #swinging away to ring free. the neck is in front of me, rather than to the side, as i play.

mrbook
Aug-23-2004, 10:42pm
I wear it just over the right shoulder, which seems to keep the neck farther out from the body, making it easier to get around with my left hand. Other instruments are all over the left shoulder - I've never figured out how some banjo players can just use the right shoulder.

WireBoy
Aug-24-2004, 12:32am
mrbook,
#i wear my banjo on my right as well.

( oops ! # I wonder if i should have admitted to that... about having a banjo... at least i didn't say i tried to play it)

duuuude
Aug-24-2004, 7:44am
I used to do the right shoulder thing but it kept wantin' to slip off when I reached for my beer, so it's over the head now.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

Tom C
Aug-24-2004, 7:52am
I agree with Duuuuude. But I also find there is less movement over the head.

Kevin K
Aug-24-2004, 8:14am
Over the right for me. It just feels natural and keeps the left hand able to play instead of trying to balance and play.

bjc
Aug-24-2004, 10:09am
I wear it over the right as well...It just feels better....but to the important issue of reaching for your beer: I've found that reaching with my left hand, while totally un-natural has prevented me from having some sort of mando/miller mishap...Also those Batting helmets with straws have proved effective in tight circumstances...

JD Cowles
Aug-24-2004, 10:31am
low and lazy and over the right shoulder. #i've found that i can easily lever the back of my mando off my gut when i take a break giving more volume. #we all play into one mike as well, so it allows me to get right up in there and stuff my breaks in there when i need to. #as for the beer spilling thing, it's just one of the inherent dangers of our lifestyle people. #that's the laugh in the face of death life on the razor's edge world of bluegrass
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

bjc-do they make cowboy hats with those straws in them?

ira
Aug-24-2004, 10:39am
right with neck at around 2:00 and not too high, not too low. too low no control, too high and i feel a bit constrained

thistle3585
Aug-24-2004, 10:45am
Left shoulder, but only because it lets me walk around and do things around the house. #It is especially easy to rotate it around to my back when I have to flip the ribs on the BBQ. #I hate getting rib sauce on my mando.:laugh:

Daniel Nestlerode
Aug-24-2004, 10:51am
I wear it over my left shoulder when I play standing up. I developed a pretty bad case of tendonitis in my right elbow when I played with the mando hanging on my right shoulder. Turns out I was holding the mando in place by keeping my elbow locked against my side. I stopped playing for a few weeks, bought a new strap, and started playing with it on my right shoulder. This allows me to relax my right arm more as I play.

But mostly these days, I play sitting down without a strap on the mando at all. It makes switching back and forth between mandolin, mandola, and guitar a whole lot quicker and easier.

Best,
Daniel

earthsave
Aug-24-2004, 10:53am
Over the head... I started over the right shoulder only, but I seem to have more control when it's over the head. I think I changed after I got Roland White's Book/CDs upon his recommendation.

fatt-dad
Aug-24-2004, 11:27am
Considering that I mostly have A-model mandolins, I also go over the head. I also tie the strap to the headstock. For my one-and-only F-model, I go just over the right shoulder, but I have the strap holder (a.k.a., scroll) to tie to.

f-d

aimee
Aug-24-2004, 1:31pm
Had to switch to over the head 'cause of a pinched nerve in the right shoulder...the chiropractor said the strap wasn't helping. Finally saw the doctor when it got so bad I couldn't hold a pick any more.

mrbook
Aug-24-2004, 2:17pm
I have no problems with a banjo over the right shoulder, I just wonder how people do it - it slips off my droopy shoulder unless I wrap it around my neck. I play both an A and an F over the right shoulder, and haven't noticed a difference between either.

pickles
Aug-25-2004, 4:07am
Left.
It balances better, and I can get both hands free quickly for emergeny mama duties.

straight-a
Aug-25-2004, 10:45am
Left for me. Helps me keep my right arm more relaxed.

WireBoy
Aug-25-2004, 10:54am
also, going righty lets me quickly take off the mando and put it down. #I often change instruments or have to fiddle (!) with the sound board or mics or (there's always something)...

Aug-25-2004, 11:00am
I think over the head or right or watever i feel like right then!

Emmiemando
Aug-25-2004, 2:00pm
I prefer it hanging over my left shoulder to it goes all the way around. I always feel like it's going to fall off if I just put it over one shoulder:D

WireBoy
Aug-25-2004, 5:14pm
Emily,
#i agree with you about the "fear of falling" off the right shoulder. #I do have to keep my right arm constantly in contact with the mando; either clamping it down, stretching the strap tight, or grab and hold the neck/body. #Or grab and hold with the left and use the right for (whatever i'm trying to grab). #

I do feel like i only have one arm available at any one time either way. #But then for the money these things cost, i don't mind having 'postive' control of it.