PDA

View Full Version : Pick Clicks on Extended Frets

Mandolincelli
Aug-19-2009, 12:17pm
I just got a new mandolin. I've learned on A style mandolins and this new one is an F style with the extended frets for the A and E strings. I can't seem to stop clicking on the extended frets with my pick while playing. If I play in the space closer to the bridge, I don't get the nice warm tone (too plucky).

What do you do to avoid clicking on the extended neck?

250sc
Aug-19-2009, 1:52pm
raise action or scoop fingerboard

onassis
Aug-19-2009, 3:00pm
Same problem here. Got my first f-style a month or so ago, and the clickin' drove me nuts! I had to scoop the extension. John Hamlett has a pictorial on his website of one done using no power tools.

mdlorenz
Aug-19-2009, 3:33pm
scoop that mother effer.

jefflester
Aug-19-2009, 3:38pm
Florida-ectomy.

John Kasley
Aug-19-2009, 3:53pm
Study your technique first. Extensionectomy isn't reversible.

Mandolincelli
Aug-19-2009, 4:56pm
Study your technique first. Extensionectomy isn't reversible.

Jaka:

I am loath to carve up a brand new mandolin.

I was at the Mandolin Symposium about a month ago and spoke with Mike Marshall and another student (Isaac) who was a national champ. What I learned from them is that I've been playing mandolin wrong for 2 years with both hands. I was playing it like a guitar which was my first instrument. They showed me how to hold the pick with my right hand between my bent thumb and last index finger joint with the rest of the fingers in a loosely closed position. I've been working on this (old habits die hard), but even when I'm doing it right, I still click on the extension. Is there a specific technique that you have in mind to avoid the clicking?

Rob Gerety
Aug-19-2009, 5:56pm
Scoop it. Or better yet, extensionectomy.

Rich Evans
Aug-19-2009, 6:34pm
I had this problem when I first got a mando with an extended fretboard. I changed pick style and concentrated on not extending the point of the pick as far from my fingers. So far I am having good results, but I don't think you can ever avoid it completely.

John Kasley
Aug-19-2009, 6:52pm
Well, I don't claim to be an expert but here's what I did.
I basically imitated what Mike Marshall does in this video.

http://www.tothestage.com/MediaDetail.PAGE?ActiveID=1142&query=mike+marshall&MediaId=352

I know... in the video, his instrument's fretboard extension is scooped.
But regardless, his tips helped me a lot. I also slowed everything down when I practiced and I practiced with a metronome. Then I'd raise the tempo and if I started clicking again, I checked my forearm position and posture and found that I had shifted. I also had to work at avoiding muscle tension in the shoulder/arm/wrist.

I use a Golden Gate pick which has rounded corners which I think helps with avoiding pick click. However, I use it mostly because I like the tone I get with it.

I do most of my playing seated, and I do get some pick click when playing standing up, I think because of increased muscle tension and the tendency to dig in more because of it.

So that's what works for me, YMMV.

John Ritchhart
Aug-19-2009, 9:17pm
You need to get a shorter pick. :whistling:

Mandolincelli
Aug-22-2009, 8:49pm
I am really happy to report that I took the plunge and had the Florida-ectomy and boy, does it sound great! Beyond all the discussion about whether to change pick style, etc. I found that the extension had the effect of making me a little gun-shy about picking it up and playing it. I was on the verge of selling it on Craigslist but then thought better of it and decided to remove the extension and keep it. Now, I really feel liberated from the whole issue and my luthier (Jim Moodie in Citrus Heights) did an awesome job. It looks like it was originally made without an extension. Thank you all for chiming in on this discussion. In the end, you really gotta do what's right for you. :mandosmiley:

Ivan Kelsall
Aug-23-2009, 2:32am
It certainly seems that some folk do have a problem with that extension & some,like myself,just don't hit it with a pick. I think that it must be down to pick technique & how deep you dig with it. I've watched myself play many times simply to see if i come close to hitting the f/b extension,i come close,but i've never hit it yet. Most of the 'power' in my picking comes from my thumb & 1st finger,with not a great deal of wrist movement (or instrument movement for that matter), & i wonder if this is giving my right hand a greater stability than those who pick with the wrist & thus greater movement ?.
I'd certainly be looking to maybe change my picking habits before something so radical as cutting off the extension. A fret removal & 'scoop' is fine, but to cut off our 'extensions' - it sure brings a tear to the eye !!,
Ivan:(

montana
Aug-31-2009, 10:08am
OK so I'm stupid. What's a Florida-ectomy and what does scoop mean?

Ryk Loske
Aug-31-2009, 11:59am
Hey Montana .....

The fingerboard extension on a mandolin looks like Florida. Removing the extension is therefore a Floridaectomy.

Or .... you can keep the extension .... have the frets "In Florida" removed and have the extension made thinner .... scooped.

Ryk

montana
Sep-02-2009, 11:30am
Thanks I have that extended neck on my mando and I hate it but it's not worth taking it off. If I ever buy another mando it won't have the extende neck.