PDA

View Full Version : chips in the finish

jim_n_virginia
Aug-19-2009, 7:28am
Normally I just look at play wear and dings and chips as just part of owning wooden instruments but there is one chip about a 1/16" square just above the nut on the backside of the headstock on a edge that looks like it's all the way to the wood.

It's very small, I don't know where it came from and if it was on a point or anywhere I couldn't see it so easy it wouldn't even be an issue for me. But when I bought this newest Gibson Fern last year it was in mint condition not a blemish anywhere.

Where it came from I have no idea but I noticed it a few months ago and the problem is that when i play it is right there to look at every time I play. My eyes just naturally go to it every time! LOL!

Is there anything I can do to fix it? It looks like just the laquer chip so maybe a drop of clear laquer would that fill it in?

I don't wanna sand it or go into any extensive repairs but I was just wondering if there was like a simple quick fix for it. I don't even care if it is not invisable but just fill in that hole that is there.

I know it is silly and I should just forget about it but I swear it is like looking at a sore on one of your kids that never goes away! LOL!

I have some polyurethane finish couldn't I get a drop of it on a toothpick and fill it in? Seems like I have heard the term "drop fill" used among Luthiers is that what that is filling in chips?

Just wanted to run this by you guys before I ruin my mandolin over a minute chip! :mandosmiley:

Martyweir
Aug-19-2009, 8:00am
I guess if it's driving you nuts and you feel up to it, you could buy some stick lacquer & roll the dice...
If you've never done any finishing / finish repair, I'd strongly suggest having someone who has done this work before handle it, for the seasoned veteran it should be a pretty straight forward repair. I believe Frets has info on it as well if you go the DIY route. You should be pretty close to John Hamlett in VA...

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Repair_and_touchup/Lacquer_Stick_Kit.html

sunburst
Aug-19-2009, 8:12am
You just need to chip it in a bunch of other places so this one doesn't stand out so much!

Don't put poly-anything in there, if it is to be drop filled it should be lacquer, or perhaps superglue.
Drop filling isn't as simple as just putting a drop in there; you have to put a drop in, let it dry and shrink, put another drop in, let it dry and shrink, and so forth until the chip is over-filled, then let the whole thing dry and shrink, and finally level sand and buff.

Yellowmandolin
Aug-19-2009, 8:25am
Yeah, I would either leave it be or take it to somebody who knows what they are doing. It's not a cheap tester instrument you're talking about working on and finish repairs can be particularly tricky sometimes.

Mike Bromley
Aug-19-2009, 8:49am
Your Fern is beginning to open up.....:))

JeffD
Aug-19-2009, 11:11am

Oh that is mean. Funny, but mean. :)):))

jim_n_virginia
Aug-19-2009, 11:33pm

You are a mean man Mike Bromley! LOL! :))

Yeah maybe I might just let Ward Elliott look at it next time I'm up around Floyd, VA

jim_n_virginia
Aug-19-2009, 11:42pm
You just need to chip it in a bunch of other places so this one doesn't stand out so much!

John I'd poke out my eyes so I don't have to look at it before I would hurt my PRECIOUS!!!! :))

Rick Turner
Aug-19-2009, 11:47pm
I'm with John Hamlett on this one!

Hey, I worked on Willie Nelson's guitar. You've got nothing to worry about...

sgarrity
Aug-20-2009, 10:02am
Now you can sell it for about $5k more than it's worth......just call it a distressed model!

Rob Powell
Aug-20-2009, 4:10pm
Jim, if it bothers you that much, I'll take it off your hands :grin: