PDA

View Full Version : best addition?

Peter Hackman
Feb-10-2004, 1:54am
My present mandolin is a Flatiron A5-Artist, X-braced.
Nice, clear tone, but tends to pinch when driven.

I can spend about 5-6000 dollars on a new instrument.
I want something versatile, loud, and different from
what I already have.

I've checked with Elderly Instruments. Among the nicer
alternatives is a'36 F-4, certainly different. Loud enough?

There's also a Loar Era F-2, much cheaper. How
does an F-2 differ from an F-4?

Finally there is very attractive Gibson F5-L.
What's your experience of these?

Sorry if there are already threads on these models.

Incidentally
I learned with a pick-guard and I am dependent on
that for optimum performance.

Big Joe
Feb-10-2004, 9:59am
One of the problems with Xbracing is that it can be overdriven, especially as it ages. The other mandolins you specify are different from what you currently have in tone and playability. If you like the oval hole sound and the shorter fretboard, it is a good choice. No real difference from the F2 to the F4. Just cosmetic. The F5L can be a more traditional choice...especially for modern mandolin music. Depending upon when it was built and its condition it could be a better choice...or not http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif . Play them all and see what rings your bell.

Bob DeVellis
Feb-10-2004, 10:27am
The round-hole instruments will be more substantially different from what you have now; another f-hole instrument will sound more like your Flatiron. On the other hand, the round-holes probably won't sound as loud because the sound will project from them in a less focused and percussive way. On the F-2/F-4 front, be sure that the instrument is in great shape, with good action and adequate fret life left. Much of the enjoyment of the instrument will come from its playability. If the F-4 is in better shape, the additional cost may be worth it. If the condition is comparable, then it's just a matter of deciding how much you're willing to pay for binding and pearl.

It's also worth thinking about how you'll use the instrument differently from the one you have. If you're going to play bluegrass but want a different bluegrass sound, then a different f-hole instrument may make sense. Something like a Dave Cohen instrument will give you a distinct tone but with plenty of volume and cut for bluegrass. You could also sell your Flatiron and pool the money from that with the additional money and go for a really high-end f-style. If you plan on playing non-bluegrass on the second instrument, then a round hole will really give you a different sound that I think you'll enjoy (although it may take a bit of adjustment if your ear is used to an f-hole). An F-4 or F-2 is a wonderful choice there. Sounds like whatever you decide, you've got some big fun ahead of you. Enjoy!

Mike Crocker
Feb-10-2004, 10:56am
Or check the Gavin Baird F4s that appeared here lately. Mooh.

Peter Hackman
Feb-10-2004, 11:31am
Depending upon when it was built and its condition it could be a better choice...or not http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif . Play them all and see what rings your bell.
I don't have the luxury of playing instruments before
buying as I live in Sweden! It may shock you but I've
bought six guitars (five of them custom ordered),
and the Flatiron, without examination.

So what I do at this stage is collect impressions, suggestions
and facts on the general character of this or that
model. I am pretty sure I can tell an oval-hole from an f-hole
by its recorded sound, and I've played oval-holes decades
ago; I like the sound, however the shorter scale doesn't
sound like a good idea.

Right now I am contemplating the F5L. Everybody seems
to have a favorable impression of Collings' new line.
Elderly would supply me with a pickguard; if I like
the instrument I can have someone install it, else return
the thing. A nice companion piece to my Collings SJ,
maybe.

There are Stivers coming, and a Duff (presumably
pre-ordered). The salesperson also mentioned
Weber.

Bluegrass was my original motive 38 years ago, but I've
branched out since then. Music!

Lee
Feb-10-2004, 1:01pm
One of the most stunningly beautiful sounding mandos I've tried was a Peter Coombe A with f-holes. It had a ringing clarity, with some pop. Jaw dropping. He uses some untraditional woods which may account for it's uniqueness; Tazmanian myrtlewood back and sides on the one I played. He's very helpful. Of course, so is Bill Bussman.

Martin Jonas
Feb-18-2004, 5:53am
I don't have the luxury of playing instruments before
buying as I live in Sweden! It may shock you but I've
bought six guitars (five of them custom ordered),
and the Flatiron, without examination.
I don't know if you ever come to Britain from Sweden, but if you do, you may consider dropping in at the Acoustic Music Company (http://www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk/) shop in Brighton. They have a huge selection of mandolins on display (they say it's the biggest selection in the world; no idea if that's so), so you can try and taste to your heart's content and it's still a lot cheaper and faster than travelling to the States. Also, with Sweden and the UK both being in the EU, you won't have customs problems.

Martin
(No connection to AMC)

Lee
Feb-18-2004, 1:09pm
If being an EU member avoids customs, a Czech builder might be a consideration if they're a member. Are they??