PDA

View Full Version : Apagio patterns?

spacemonkey
Aug-16-2009, 1:19pm
I found this great thread on this site for the patterns of double stops.
Learning the pattern sequence made me able to do the double stops for any key,very easily. So before I go memorizing apagios until I cant see straight, is there a specific pattern to remember when doing apagios?
thx ...spacemonkey

Mike Bunting
Aug-16-2009, 1:55pm
Arpeggios are the notes of a chord played melodically, play them in any pattern you like.
http://www.mandozine.com/index.php/techniques/techinfo/arpeggios/
You see where that link originates, it would be useful to explore Mandolicafe.

"memorizing apagios until I cant see straight," you make learning the mandolin sound like drudgery. It's fun.

Steve L
Aug-16-2009, 1:55pm
FYI. I believe the word you are referencing is arpeggio. If you're practicing scale patterns, you should be able to pull the arpeggios out of those. I'm not aware of any mandolin material that has arpeggio studies exclusively.I'd be interested to know of one, particularly with standard notation.

John McGann
Aug-16-2009, 2:00pm
apagios

Good Boston accent! ;)

Jan Ellefsen
Aug-16-2009, 5:09pm
I like these:
http://www.mandozine.com/index.php/techniques/techinfo/tim_obriens_arpeggios/

spacemonkey
Aug-16-2009, 8:56pm
Awesome , Thnx. This will all help alot.
I cross pick nice, any chord i want, but it never really gave me what i was lookin for in an arpeggio.
Lol i spelled that word wrong so many times.
Again, awsome thnx fore the help
Greg

Mike Bunting
Aug-16-2009, 9:51pm
Thanx=thanks :grin:

Alex Orr
Aug-17-2009, 8:39am
I found this great thread on this site for the patterns of double stops.
Learning the pattern sequence made me able to do the double stops for any key,very easily. So before I go memorizing apagios until I cant see straight, is there a specific pattern to remember when doing apagios?
thx ...spacemonkey
Mike Marshall has a great breakdown on arpeggios in his first mando fundamentals DVD. As I recall Greg Hornes Intermediate mando book (which is just all-around fantastic) also has a similar breakdown on the same patterns.

pickloser
Aug-17-2009, 9:32am
There's a pattern. Once you know the pattern for one key, you will know it for another; it will just start in a different place on the fret board, just like the double stop pattern starts in a different place depending on the key you are in. The pattern repeats in the same manner and with the same reliable predictability that the double stop pattern repeats. And just like the chord patterns repeat. Gotta love the mandolin.

Go back to the double stop thread you were using and look at the fretboard charts. Instead of a combination of 1 and 3 or 1 and 5 or 3 and 5 played together for double stops, you will want to combine a 1 and a 3 and a 5 (played one at a time) to make a major chord arpeggio. To figure out the pattern for arpeggios going up or down the neck lengthwise, starting with any double stop form, take note of what two notes (the 1 or 3 or 5) is in that double stop. Then find the most convenient neaby missing note that falls on one of the two strings that the double stop is on. For example if your double stop form has a 1 and a 5 note in it (Uptent), find the nearest 3 note (in Tiny). You can consider that to be the arpeggio that you most closely associate with that double stop. That arpeggio will be correct wherever that double stop form is correct and will recur on the fretboard wherever that double stop recurs. Then move to the next adjacent double stop form you already know. Figure out which two notes of the chord are in the double stop and then find the nearest convenient other note of the chord. That will be the arpeggio you associate with that double stop. Continue up the neck. Then do the same, but work each pattern across the four strings, instead of up or down the neck. Just as the double stop patterns connect in a predictable and logical manner across the strings, the arpeggios connect. Indeed, the way the double stop pattern connects across the width of the neck, tells you exactly what the arpeggio pattern is across the neck.

Once you get comfortable with the major chord arpeggio patterns, you can alter those patterns to play arpeggios for other chords. For example, if you want a dominant 7th chord arpeggio, you will add a b7 note to the arpeggio. (The b7 will be 3 frets up from the 5 note or 2 frets down from the 1 note or on the next higher pitched string from the 3 note, one fret closer to the nut or on the next lower pitched string from the 3 note, one fret closer to the bridge.) If you want a minor chord arpeggio, you will flat the 3 note by lowering it one fret.

Hope this makes sense.

AZStu
Aug-17-2009, 10:43am
I'm not aware of any mandolin material that has arpeggio studies exclusively.I'd be interested to know of one, particularly with standard notation.

Ted Eschlichman's "Getting into Jazz Mandolin" has arpeggio exercises in both tab and standard notation. The initial FFcP exercises include arpeggios over the IMaj7, vi7, V7 and ii7 chords. After the FFcP exercises, he has exercises with arpeggiated Maj7, Dom7, Min7, and Min6 chords from 4 fingerings.

JeffD
Aug-18-2009, 10:20pm
One cute way I learned of to play and practice arpeggios is to practice bugle calls in as many keys as you can. You know, taps, and revelie, and charge, and what ever it is they do at the beginning of horse races.