PDA

View Full Version : Samual Swain Stewart Mandolins?

Scott Crabtree
Aug-14-2009, 5:49pm
I have an attic find and was wondering if anybody had any info on these mandolins...

In my search so far I have found that he was primarily a banjo maker...

On the back of the head stock is a BJ certified instruments logo...

It has unique F holes, The main cut is separated from the S cut by 1/2 an inch or so

Any info? :popcorn:

Eddie Sheehy
Aug-14-2009, 6:11pm
I have an SS Stewart oval hole bent-top. Looks just like a Martin A-type but with a rosewood b&s.

Bob DeVellis
Aug-14-2009, 6:37pm
I believe it's actually Samuel Swaim Stewart. I'm also pretty sure that their flatback mandolins weren't made by S. S. Stewart but perhaps by Weymann, or some other manufacturer. S. S. Stewart was, indeed, a big-time banjo maker and an aggressive marketer par excellence. A lot of the workers from S. S. Stewart, as I recall reading, moved to Weymann when the former company closed. The S. S. Stewart trademark had huge name recognition, so it was successfully licensed to other companies who wanted to market instruments (like mandolins) that Stewart really was never into.

It's been a while since I've dug into these details, so I may have some of them wrong, but I think this version of things is petty close. Others. please coreect any errors I've made.

Scott Crabtree
Aug-14-2009, 8:03pm
Thanks for the correction. On the back is a BJ certified instruments logo, so I will investigate that further. Maybe they were a licensed maker. I am interested in who made this instrument, as it sounds sweet and dry. I am not sure of the wood, but I think it also has rosewood back and sides. It also has tortoise binding. The finish is in good shape with a little checking. I wish I could determine the tuners as well, they are quality.

allenhopkins
Aug-14-2009, 11:27pm
B & J is presumably Buegeleisen & Jacobson, who bought the S S Stewart trademark from the Keenophone Co. in 1915. Mugwumps states that the B & J "S S Stewart" banjos were made by Slingerland, but doesn't speculate who made S S Stewart mandolins for B & J.

If you post a pic, someone may be able to say "That looks like a -------".

Scott Crabtree
Aug-14-2009, 11:50pm
Thanks Allen...that is a huge help. What is mugwumps? I love the sleuthing. The instrument has no visible signature, but does have a serial number. Maybe Buegeleisen & Jacobson will have some record? I will post a picture as soon as I figure out the process. You all have been a great wealth of information, keep it coming

Scott

MikeEdgerton
Aug-15-2009, 7:57am
A picture posted will probably take you farther in your search faster. I suspect it will be revealed quite quickly. Segmented f holes point two places.

Scott Crabtree
Aug-15-2009, 2:39pm
Here are a couple of shots of the SS Stewart mandolin, its going for a fresh set up on Monday...any other info about this mando or company is greatly appreciated. 45077

jeff mercer
Aug-15-2009, 5:24pm
Hi, Scott

Well, it's certainly Chicago-made, & I'd be leaning toward Harmony as the maker..though Regal or Kay are also a possibility ( Regal the more likely of the two ).

Can you tell us what the numbers inside are ? If it's a series of numbers with the letter H in the middle, it's a Harmony for sure..

Nice lookin' little mando

Jim Garber
Aug-15-2009, 8:35pm
Here is a page from my late 1930s/early 1940s B&J catalog. Yours is the number 3 pictured on the lower right. Sorry for the Benday dots.

Jim Garber
Aug-16-2009, 1:40pm
SS Stewart Snow Queen (http://www.mandozine.com/index.php/instruments/instrumentinfo/ss_stewart_snow_queen_1930s/) from Tone Poems 1. The f-holes are different but here is the description:

THE “RICHES TO RAGS” EFFECT OF THE 1929 stock market crash and subsequent Great Depression of the early ‘30s was felt strongly in the musical instrument trade. Many manufacturers and distributors of guitars and mandolins quickly shifted their focus to the creation of an extensive line of low-budget, cheaply made instruments. Many of these bargins were made available through large mail-order houses such as Sears & Roebuck and Montgomery Ward, and often sold for under $10. The Regal Musical Instrument Company was one of the large Chicago-based instrument manufacturers and distributors that dealt primarily in such low-cost products.

The S.S. Stewart (originally a manufacturer of banjos) “Snow Queen” mandolin, with its white finish and embossed red logo and ski designs was probably produced by Regal. According to vintage-instrument expert George Gruhn, all of the S.S. Stewart arch-top guitars were made by Regal, and we are assuming that this is also true for the Snow Queen. Apparently sking was a big fad in the ‘30s, which is reflected artistically in many products of the time. This mandolin has a carved top with f-holes, and is a perfectly functional instrument.

http://www.mandozine.com/instruments/images/snowqueen.jpeg

Scott Crabtree
Aug-17-2009, 11:37am
Jim~
Thank you so much for taking the time to share, it was very enlightening. I wonder how it will sound with a fresh set up? It sounded really sweet in its found condition. It played pretty easily, except it had super high action. All the parts appear to be original. It was interesting to see that the wood was mahogany, I know it is not a widely used building medium. Do yo collect old instrument catalogs?

Thanks again
Scott~o

MikeEdgerton
Aug-17-2009, 11:59am
It looks more Regal to me except for those Kay style F holes. Look at the side of the f holes, does it look like it was laminated?

Jim Garber
Aug-17-2009, 12:49pm
Do yo collect old instrument catalogs?

Yes, I have a few.

Bill Snyder
Aug-17-2009, 3:03pm
Yes, I have a few.

Just a few? :cool:

Jim Garber
Aug-17-2009, 3:07pm
Sorry... I mean i have justa... Phew!!

Bill Snyder
Aug-17-2009, 3:08pm
:)):))

Paul Hostetter
Aug-20-2009, 12:14pm
I have an SS Stewart guitar that's a perfect match to this mandolin - same materials, pressed plates, 3-piece f-holes, headstock overlay, purfling - and it's clearly a Harmony product. There were probably SS Stewart items also made by Kay and/or Regal, but I don't think this is one. The Tone Poems notes quoted above don't ring true for me.

Bill Snyder
Aug-21-2009, 7:55am
Here are a couple of shots of the SS Stewart mandolin, its going for a fresh set up on Monday...any other info about this mando or company is greatly appreciated.

Did you get it set up? Is it playable?

Scott Crabtree
Aug-21-2009, 10:06am
I did indeed get it back from the shop. I ended up replacing the bridge, because the 'original' was not adjustable to a height that was suitable to my liking (action was too high). The nut had to be filed some and the frets were dressed. It sounds pretty decent, a little hollow. It is woody and dry though, I don't know if that is a characteristic of mahogany or not? All in all I think it was worth the ten dollars at the rummage sale. Thanks to all of you for the help, it was very informative.