PDA

View Full Version : Can you please help??? Mandolin 100 yo

jen
Aug-13-2009, 10:44pm
We have a mandolin that is my mothers who is 89 and it is her mothers so it must be over 100 years old we believe, it is in really good condition however we cannot find any signatures or makes on it on the keys to tighten the strings the letters DRGM, and and WARG and others on the other side.
>
> On the back it has beautiful pattern and merges to a diamond on the middle, made from the same material as the mandolin.
>
> Could you please help us with some information if possible

I am sorry but i cant seem to attach a phot either so if anyone can help with this as well i would appreciate it
>
> thanks
>
> Jen

jim_n_virginia
Aug-14-2009, 1:39am
What kind of mandolin is it? Is it a bowl back? flat? bent top? can't be an arched top because they didn't make them a 100 years ago. But without a picture it would sure be hard to identify it.

I am guessing (just a guess) it is a bowl back mandolin and unfortunately just because an instrument is old doesn't neccesarily make it valuable especially if it is a bowl back.

We call them "taterbug" mandolins around here. :grin:

If you could post a picture or a link to a picture it sure would help identify it a LOT easier.

go here to learn how to post a picture to the Cafe forum. :mandosmiley:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52961

mrmando
Aug-14-2009, 1:49am
Sounds to me like a German-made mandolin with marquetry on the back. This kind of thing:
http://images.craigslist.org/3n23kd3o95Qf5P95Sd9842f15e57c471117ca.jpg

DRGM stands for "Deutsches Reich Gebrauchsmusterschutz," which is the equivalent of "Patent Applied For" and means the item had been submitted to the German patent office (pre-WWII).

"WARG" might be the brand name of the tuners, that's my best guess. More info here (http://www.museum-markneukirchen.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=533&start=15), but most of it's in German, which puts me at a disadvantage.

jen
Aug-14-2009, 3:55pm
Thanks very much for that, the mandolin looks very similar to the one you posted, however the marquetry on the back goes to a diamond in the middle, but im guessing same make etc. thats very encouraging hopefully the attachment below helps,

thanks again

thanks

Jen

MandoBaptist
Aug-14-2009, 4:07pm
What beautiful woodwork. How does it play?

SternART
Aug-14-2009, 4:19pm
And an unusual tailpiece.

Bill Snyder
Aug-14-2009, 4:36pm
...can't be an arched top because they didn't make them a 100 years ago....

We now know hers isn't an arched top, but Gibson was making arched top mandolins 100 years ago.

jim_n_virginia
Aug-14-2009, 7:29pm
We now know hers isn't an arched top, but Gibson was making arched top mandolins 100 years ago.

Yes I stand corrected. :mandosmiley:

mrmando
Aug-14-2009, 7:34pm
And an unusual tailpiece.
Looks to me like an ordinary kidney-bean tailpiece with a big dent in it!

mrmando
Aug-14-2009, 7:39pm
Are the flowers on the front also inlaid wood, or painted on?

It would be very hard to pinpoint the maker. I don't know anything about German prewar mandolin builders, but I do know that this is a very, very popular design that was and is used all over Europe. It most likely does not have great monetary value and would be worth about $500 or less.

jen
Aug-15-2009, 12:06am
Thanks

the flowers are also made from the wood, it is not such about the cost just about the significance of it before it leaves the family

I appreciate your comments, and time as we know nothing about mandolins thanks again

Jen

MikeEdgerton
Aug-15-2009, 7:53am
Looks to me like an ordinary kidney-bean tailpiece with a big dent in it!

I believe that is correct.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-15-2009, 7:55am
I think the value monetarily would be much less, the value as an heirloom in the family should be more. These are available regularly on eBay in similar trim.

Fliss
Aug-15-2009, 10:21am
What a lovely mandolin! As has been suggested, the monetary value isn't very high, for some reason, but these kind of mandolins are often very beautiful (yours is a particularly nice example) and can have a lovely tone. It looks in good condition, too.

Fliss

mrmando
Aug-15-2009, 7:10pm
Here (http://cgi.ebay.com/Wonderful-Antique-German-Meister-Mandoline-1960_W0QQitemZ260463395725QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item3ca4d4038d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14) is one on eBay with a very similar design, although yours is older.

stevenmando
Aug-15-2009, 7:12pm
Why would one want to call a great mandolin a taterbug? I know where that term came from and its insulting to the many players of bowlbacks.
No matter what instrument one plays its the music that the musician makes and some of the best and most famous musicians play bowlbacks .

Jim Garber
Aug-15-2009, 8:25pm
Why would one want to call a great mandolin a taterbug?

Hmmmmm... I wonder why.

Bill Snyder
Aug-15-2009, 9:12pm
There are even people that have and cherish their mandolins that refer to them as taterbugs.

man dough nollij
Aug-15-2009, 9:51pm
Seems like a term of endearment to me.

Schlegel
Aug-16-2009, 12:24pm
Seems like a term of endearment to me.
Gibson didn't mean it to be one when they came up with it, is what I was told.

Nice looking German mandolin btw. Isn't it funny how often the most beautiful part of a mandolin is the back that no one can see when you play?

AngieM
Feb-09-2013, 12:54pm
Hi, My grandfather played this exact same mandolin, we have one here but the neck has started to twist so it is not in playable condition. Are you considering selling this? I would definitely be interested if so.

stevenmando
Feb-09-2013, 2:06pm
I knew my tater bug comment would come back to haunt me ,love them tater bugs and the mandolins too and yes it is a very nice mandolin , love the design on the back .

Jim Garber
Feb-09-2013, 5:12pm
Hi, My grandfather played this exact same mandolin, we have one here but the neck has started to twist so it is not in playable condition. Are you considering selling this? I would definitely be interested if so.

Angie: you can try contacting the OP but be aware that this thread is about 3 1/2 years old.