PDA

View Full Version : Nashville mandolins....

mandorando
Aug-11-2009, 6:40pm
My wonderful wife took me to Nashville over the weekend for my b-day. Anyway, she turned me loose at the Gibson Showcase in the Opry Mills mall and at Gruhn Guitars on Broadway.

I mostly wanted to play the Victorian F5 at Gibson....wow! I didn't quite like it 17,000 worth, but it is a beautiful instrument. Played a few F5Gs, an F9, and a Sam Bush (possibly my favorite in terms of tone). But the best surprises were the Jam Masters. I'm partial to the wider nut, and they sounded very rich. For the money I like the A model.

At Gruhn my favs were the three Summit F's. But the Arches A oval hole is beautiful to see and to play. But if I had left there with any mando it would have been the 1905 Gibson blacktop F. Just to look at it would be reason enough, but it really has a great "classical" sound.

I'm keeping my Lebeda varnished fern, but it was a thrill to see, hear and feel the response of so many great mandolins!

All just my opinions....

Randy

tallmike
Aug-11-2009, 8:24pm
Awesome...and happy birthday!

I'll be heading down to Nashville to visit in-laws over Labor Day weekend and I'm trying to ease my wife into the idea of coming back w/ a new mando. Not sure how much the F-5Gs are marked down at the Gibson Showcase, but it'll probably be between that and the F-style Jam Master.

Shawn Gambrel
Aug-11-2009, 8:42pm
I went a month or so ago to The showcase and Big Joes. At the showcase the best mandolin imo was the Jam model and then the Sam Bush Fern. Big Joes had a few nice summits and a derrington gibson woooo !!

Keith Owen
Aug-11-2009, 8:55pm
I was in Gruhn's a month ago. Played a 1920 F2, an old Gibson A, One of the Summit F's, a Collings MT, an MT2, and a 2009 Gibson F-9.

I was fortunate to be able to A/B with my custom Newell A that I had along, and it sounded better than all to my ears, except that F-9! Wow that thing was unreal, if you like the Gibson tone.

I wasn't willing to part with my Newell and didn't have the bucks to buy outright, but if I did I'd have a couple mandos now. That F-9 sounded HUGE and played so easily.

In second place was the Summit F, very nice instrument. And the old F2 was so much fun...sounds and feels so different!

That's the first real mando shop I've been in. It was a lot of fun.

brown akers
Aug-11-2009, 9:19pm
Real nice folks at Cotton Music in Nashville also - always some interesting mandolins and guitars for sale there. Lots of local players trade there and have for years.
You can never go wrong hanging out at Big Joe's - All those Sumi's lined up in a row. Sweeeeet...

Kevin K
Aug-11-2009, 9:25pm
The matte finish Summit at Gruhn's really sounds good and looks good too.

brown akers
Aug-11-2009, 9:50pm
Keith I'm curious about this 2009 F-9. Is it still in the sunburst finish? I bought my used 2002 A-9 over a new 2006 A-9 after comparing then side by side - how would it compare to the new Jam Master line?
I think Gibson is going after the great tone the old style black binding 2002-2005 era A-9 & F-9 models had with a wider, radiused fretboard for the modern player - at a lower price point to pull in the new intermediate players. Hopefully the innovations that David Harvey and crew are showing in the Jam Master models is carring over into the flat fretboard models as well.

300win
Aug-11-2009, 10:24pm
Keith I'm curious about this 2009 F-9. Is it still in the sunburst finish? I bought my used 2002 A-9 over a new 2006 A-9 after comparing then side by side - how would it compare to the new Jam Master line?
I think Gibson is going after the great tone the old style black binding 2002-2005 era A-9 & F-9 models had with a wider, radiused fretboard for the modern player - at a lower price point to pull in the new intermediate players. Hopefully the innovations that David Harvey and crew are showing in the Jam Master models is carring over into the flat fretboard models as well.

I been picking on a mando for over 40 years, so I don't guess I fit into the intermediate category, but The Jam-Master I have is one of the top 3, if not the best mandolins I've ever held in my hands, and there have been a bunch of them. I like you think that Dave Harvey and all the other luthiers there are to be commended for putting out such a high quality sounding mandolin for that cost. Yea I realize there are alot of mandolins out there that are really nice to look at, and cost alot more, but as far as tone and volume it will be very hard to beat the Gibson JM if they all sound like mine. I'll put mine up against any other made, I think its that good.

Big Joe
Aug-11-2009, 10:25pm
We'd love to have any of you stop by, have a cup of coffee, play a few mandolins, and check out the shop. You are always welcome whether you buy anything or not!

45ACP-GDLF5
Aug-11-2009, 10:42pm
We'd love to have any of you stop by, have a cup of coffee, play a few mandolins, and check out the shop. You are always welcome whether you buy anything or not!

Thank you very much, Joe! When I get the chance to come to Nashville, you are on my list of places to visit for sure! ;)

brown akers
Aug-11-2009, 11:04pm
300win - your evaluation on the Jam Master series is pretty much what I've been hearing which is great value for the cost. Tone AND volume, that's the key!
And I don't want to dog on the Gibson flat fretboard - I think they're great, I own two of them - they are my preferred type of fretboard. I think it's great Gibson has agreed to go along with Mr. Harvey and market a modern radius fretboard - a wise marketing decision on their part I'd say judging from the response.

Keith Owen
Aug-12-2009, 1:08pm
brown akers -

The '09 F9 was indeed a sunburst and it was GREAT. I did not make it over to the Showcase or to Big Joe's...had the family along. So, I didn't play a Jam Master to compare.

However, I really like the narrow, traditional neck on the F9 so in terms of playablility I would not have liked the Jam Master as much. As far as tone goes, I have no idea how it would compare.

To my own ears, the F-9 I played at Gruhns sounds like what the guys like 300win say the Jam Masters sound like. Don't know for sure, haven't played one..

brown akers
Aug-12-2009, 3:01pm
Keith thanks for the shout back I had forgotten that the Jam Masters neck was also wider as well as radiused - I like the narrow neck as well.
Isn't that back wall at Gruhn's full of mandolins an awesome sight? Never tire of window shopping there but a friend who's been up says the upstairs private showroom/storage area is a candyland of instrument delights.
Anyone been up there also in the past?

Kevin K
Aug-12-2009, 3:12pm
Yes sir, upstairs is a sight to behold

300win
Aug-12-2009, 3:30pm
Again I say if any of the other Jm's are like mine you will not be disappointed in any way. No they don't have bling, yes they do SOUND LIKE A MANDOLIN IS SUPPOSED TO SOUND !

Big Joe
Aug-12-2009, 7:59pm
Hey 45ACP...be sure to bring your .45's when you come. I'll be happy to show you my Kimber's....then we can play some mandolin :) .

jim_n_virginia
Aug-12-2009, 8:49pm
Hey 45ACP...be sure to bring your .45's when you come. I'll be happy to show you my Kimber's....then we can play some mandolin :) .

And when I visit Joe I'll show you my babies my Springfield GI and MilSpec!

Gotta love those 1911's! LOL!

gregjones
Aug-12-2009, 9:01pm

I've got a few guitars that need a little bit of work. I go thru town on 24 all the time. A hop up 65 isn't any problem and would save shipping problems.

Got room for a big truck?

brown akers
Aug-12-2009, 10:10pm
He's in a shopping center/strip mall type set up with a big parking lot that would hold a big rig somewhere - although access off Gallatin Rd. is a little narrow - I'm sure it would be nothing you hadn't seen before driving a big rig. They do lots of repair jobs there.