PDA

View Full Version : #17 finished

french guy
Aug-11-2009, 7:32am
I don't post very often on the mandolincafe , but I continue to build .
Here is the latest , a very special design , largely inspired by the John Monteleone Teardrop Guitar .
The mando is now packed , on the road for Texas , hope the postal workers do their job as best as they can :):)

french guy
Aug-11-2009, 7:33am
some more

Jonas
Aug-11-2009, 7:39am
Cool! Looks almost arabic in some ways to me.

re simmers
Aug-11-2009, 7:45am
Looks original. And THAT is what it a fanatastic instrument. Congrats on great work and a great design.

Bob

grassrootphilosopher
Aug-11-2009, 8:30am
Jean, ne laisse pas Corrado Giacomel la voir.

Your mandolin certainly has some nice italian features. By the way, have you been at the Laroche festival? If so, how was it?

Skip Kelley
Aug-11-2009, 9:47am
Jean, very nice indeed! Real artzy! I love your peghead shape! I miss seeing your work on here!!

Jim Rowland
Aug-11-2009, 1:32pm
I like that mandolin a lot,Jean.
Jim

Rick Simon
Aug-11-2009, 1:48pm
Bel ouvrage, mon ami!

Bill James
Aug-11-2009, 1:50pm
That's very nice work Jean!

I'm curious about the bits of material under the bridge?

crazymandolinist
Aug-11-2009, 2:18pm
Wow

french guy
Aug-11-2009, 2:28pm
Wow , thanks for your replies
grassrootphilosopher, La Roche fest was nice , sunny and much fun for every one , we missed you .
Bill about orange markers it's because I take pics just before remove strings and it's just an indication for the new owner who must place the bridge himself.

Charley wild
Aug-11-2009, 3:25pm
Jean, that mandolin looks great! I'm pretty much a traditionalist but I'd be proud to play that beauty!!

LoneStar Boy
Aug-12-2009, 12:01pm
It's on it's way to me! :grin: I can't wait to play her. I play Monroe-style mandolin, but I was wanting to get something a little different. I believe Jean and I have done it here. BTW, Jean is great to work with.

french guy
Aug-12-2009, 1:26pm
Hi LoneStar Boy , nice to see a reply from you , don't forget to reply again when you'll receive the mando.

LoneStar Boy
Aug-20-2009, 11:03am
I received the mando yesterday, and it is a cannon. Great projection and tone, especially for a brand new mandolin. I can't wait to break it in and see how the sound just keeps improving. I will try to post a video on here ASAP so that you will be able to hear this unique mando.

Jean's craftsmanship is superb, and he is great to work with. He took a drawing that I had done and helped me turn that idea into a reality. And, all this was done over the internet. Don't we live in an exciting time?

Thanks, Jean for a job well done!

JEStanek
Aug-20-2009, 11:35am
That's a cool looking mandolin, Congratulations Jean and Craig.

Jamie

Jake Wildwood
Aug-20-2009, 9:12pm
Very modern, but very cool. I like.

mandolirius
Aug-20-2009, 10:31pm
[QUOTE=LoneStar Boy;704203

Jean's craftsmanship is superb, and he is great to work with. He took a drawing that I had done and helped me turn that idea into a reality. And, all this was done over the internet. Don't we live in an exciting time?

Thanks, Jean for a job well done![/QUOTE]

I'd love to see the original drawing!

Fretbear
Aug-20-2009, 11:19pm
Wow, the last place you would think to add a point is the place that it looks amazing (I am not going to say what it reminds me of....) Variations from the traditional theme sometimes don't work for me, just because I find that they often don't look good, but your instrument is hugely successful, one of the nicest I have seen, congratulations....

french guy
Aug-21-2009, 4:04am
Craig ,
just see you "new" signature on the mandolincafe :

Gibson "Monroe Model" f5 #143
Lacote "The Bravura" #17

The Coleman Brothers & the Lone Star Boys

Just that is a great gift for me , and I made a small tear of satisfaction, my friend.

Have a good day all , for me it's one .Jean

jim_n_virginia
Aug-21-2009, 8:04am
VERY unique and cool looking mandolin! Jean you are thinking outside the box that is GREAT! Look forward to seeing MORE of your creatgions!

:mandosmiley:

sgarrity
Aug-21-2009, 10:11am
Now that is one VERY cool looking instrument. Kind of a combination of the D'Angelico, D'Acquisto, and Monteleone teardrop guitars...........but in a mandolin! Congrats!

LoneStar Boy
Aug-21-2009, 10:34am
That is actually what inspired the design. It was the Monteleone Teardrop guitar. Jean just had the ability to put that idea into action.

I have always been a Monroe fan and learned to play by trying to match the licks I heard on his records. I even have #143 of the Monroe Model Gibsons. However, I knew there would only be one Monroe, and I wanted to show that the Monroe tunes could be played on a modern mando. I loved the Radio Flyer design of Monteleone's, and searching the internet I found that Jean also loved that design. I just passed along an idea to him, and he did all of the work to bring an idea to life.

french guy
Aug-22-2009, 6:02am

Here is the drawing I work with .

During the progress , we decided to change the peghead & tailpiece shape.

acruzn
Aug-22-2009, 7:49am
lonestar boy & french guy,

superb execution. it is always nice to see an idea realized so sweetly. you are definitely making a strong statement!

french guy, the tail and two ears for you! :mandosmiley::mandosmiley::mandosmiley:

John Malayter
Aug-22-2009, 7:53am
I knew there would only be one Monroe, and I wanted to show that the Monroe tunes could be played on a modern mando.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!...........?

Seriously, that is the coolest mandolin i've ever seen. Without being too nosey where is the price point (APPROX) on that sucka?

What do you do about a case????

Congratulations, that is fantastic.

JM

LoneStar Boy
Aug-22-2009, 8:14am

Here's where we started.
Then we made some changes so that we wouldn't change the area of the mandolin. We were afraid that the sound would not work if we got too far outside of the overall mandolin area.

This was the original headstock design, but we changed during the process.

It was really exciting and interesting watching this come to life. Jean was really good about sending me pictures of the process along the way. It was a great experience, and now I have a great mandolin, as well.:grin:

Jean's website is found on the Builder's database in the Cafe. He is located in France. Check out his website and send him an email for information.

french guy
Aug-22-2009, 10:55am
What do you do about a case????

I ordered a custom flight case that I padded myself .
it's a little heavy,(14 lbs) but very strong and it work perfectly for shipping far away as we done .

LoneStar Boy
Aug-24-2009, 3:30pm
I am enjoying the new mando more everyday! It's volume is really surprising for a new instrument. Very pleased!!! Thanks Jean.:mandosmiley: