PDA

View Full Version : Pix of my Supertone

Ed Lee
Aug-10-2009, 9:33pm
Attached is pix of my Supertone mandolin (as was my maternal grandmother's). ... Ed Lee as edwblee@mchsi.com in NC.

Bill Snyder
Aug-11-2009, 7:20am
Painted on "pick guard"?
The instrument looks well cared for. Do you play?

Ed Lee
Aug-11-2009, 10:40am
Bill,
I believe the pickguard is an inlaid celluloid. No, at present I don't play any plucked strings ... but I will begin while undergoing extensive dental "overhaul". I do sight read music having played ALL brass instruments from piccolo trumpet down to Sousaphone, the true French horn being my weakest because I'm dominate right handed. My training on brass started 1946 in public schools in PA under former cornetist (1926-1931) for J. P. Sousa's second band. As secondary vocation, I've played brass professionally. Using forensic audio computer program, I am still able to merge and synchronize many parts I've recorded on different instruments, the resulting CD sounding like a brass quintet, but it is only me. Since I don't play a C piccolo, I substitute the Bb Shilke piccolo trumpet played with Parduba cornet mouthpiece to produce my rendition of "Sousa's Stars and Stripes, Forever" my CD track time as is 3:38 exactly the same as the U.S. Marine President's Own and I don't have drums or anybody waving a stick at me to sustain tempo. I use Harry James Model Parduba mouthpiece on regular Bb trumpet and #5 Parduba for Trombone and Euphonium.

We just moved to rural town of Jackson NC (my wife's home town) in July 2008. So as not to disturb neighbors (or my wife), I also utilize Yamaha Silent Brass System mutes. If you want to listen to some of my brass recordings come back with your off-line e-mail address and request for same and I'll attach them to reply in MP3 format. ... Ed Lee

Ed Lee
Aug-11-2009, 10:50am
Bill,

Better yet, a mail address and I'll send you FREE OF CHARGE my own U.S. Marine CD that includes Star Spangled Banner, Marine Hymn, Semper Fidelis (Marine march) and Stars and Stripes, Forever plus Taps with label background of U.S. Marine Memorial in Arlington VA.

I do this as respect for another ex-Marine, my older brother Bob. (No, I'm ex-USAF).

Ed Lee ... edwblee@mchsi.com