PDA

View Full Version : Troubadour Gervaise mandola (~$220 USD, including shipping)

Jim MacDaniel
Aug-10-2009, 3:14pm
I've been thinking about getting a dola to experiment with, but I'm on a major budget right now. Anyone out that ever own or play one of the Troubadour (http://www.troubadour.uk.com/?page_id=12) Gervaise tenor mandolas? (or simply "mandola" here in the states ;) ) For ~$220 shipped to the US, these seems like a great value. (I've read a few threads here on the Troubadour Zouk and OM, but aside from Steve Johnson on a more recent CBOM thread in January, I didn't see any additional feedback on their dolas, unless I overlooked it in these threads.)

Also, aside from these, and the occassional used TC dola, do you have any other suggestions for a decent budget dola for under $400?

catmandu2
Aug-10-2009, 4:49pm
Also, aside from these, and the occassional used TC dola, do you have any other suggestions for a decent budget dola for under $400?

Sorry, but no :(. Save another couple of hundred and get at least a Mid-Mo, Gypsy, OWL, etc.

If going with the budget Romanian models, beware of predisposition to suspect intonation, generally. Also, restring with flatwounds to take some of the bark out of it (I recommend for TC too).

Jim D
Aug-10-2009, 8:21pm
I bought one of these to see if i would like a mandola. It let me know that I would like the sound but I moved on pretty soon to a Mid Mo mandola that really gave me an idea of what a mandola has the potential to sound like and then I got to play a Will Kimble mandola. I shouldn't have done that. I still enjoy the Mid Mo a lot.

As far as the Troubadour, it leaves a lot to be desired but that being said I don't regret buying it since it got me into playing mandola and that led to my Mid Mo. If you still think you want one contact me and I'll make you a heck of a deal on my Troubadour that is just sitting hear gathering dust. It'll just need new strings.

jim d

jim simpson
Aug-10-2009, 9:28pm
I wonder why the maker went with a slot head rather than drilled?

catmandu2
Aug-10-2009, 9:43pm

Have no idea whether this has anything to do with it, but the bodies (the zouks at least, and presumably the others as well) are very lightweight and neck heavy, even with the slotted peghead.

allenhopkins
Aug-11-2009, 12:42am
If you're limited to $400, I'd get a used Trinity College. If you could go another $200 or $250, I'd try to find a used Flatiron "pancake" mandola. Or follow others' recommendations for a Big Muddy/Mid-Mo.

Martin Jonas
Aug-11-2009, 4:28am

Because they're made in Romania (by Hora) and are based on the Central European lutherie tradition where slotted headstocks are the norm.

As far as the Gervaise is concerned, I understand from previous discussions here that their mandola and their bouzouki have exactly the same body, but that the mandola, unlike the zouk, does not have a truss rod or any other reinforcement in the neck. At least one of their mandolas has developed a bent neck. I haven't played the mandola, but I have the zouk and if it's enything like it, you would see a dramatic improvement in tone by changing the stock bridge for an ebony/bone bridge. If you look through those old Troubadour threads, there are actually quite a few mentions of the mandola as well as the zouk.

Still, no doubt a Mid-Mo is indeed the better instrument, if you can afford it. Otherwise, Jim D's offer sounds worthwhile, not least as it would cut out the high intercontinental shipping costs.

Martin