PDA

View Full Version : Lost And Found

Willie Poole
Aug-09-2009, 11:54am
Here in Maryland we get a show on public TV called Songs Of The Mountains and this week they had Lost And Found on the show, Scott Napier has taken Dempsy Youngs place on the mandolin and sounds almost like Dempsy, does anyone know if he is playing a Hutto mandolin like Dempsy did? It sounds the same as the original....

:mandosmiley: Thanks....Willie

DannyB
Aug-10-2009, 7:12am
He usually does play a Hutto. And a pretty good one at that...

AlanN
Aug-10-2009, 7:23am
Scott

Willie Poole
Aug-10-2009, 9:14am
He usually does play a Hutto. And a pretty good one at that...

I was wondering if he somehow got Dempsy`s Hutto after his death, sure sounds a lot like the same mandolin....I have never played a Hutto but if I ever get the chance I`ll see if they sound as good when I play one....Thanks fellows....Willie

Scotti Adams
Aug-10-2009, 9:52am
Last two stories I heard was that Dempseys Hutto was in the hands of his son..then I heard it was "still in the family"..not with his son. Scott is not playing Dempseys old Hutto.

Fretbear
Aug-14-2009, 4:39am
Whatever he has there looks tasty....

Bigd18
Aug-16-2009, 8:38pm
No, i'm pretty sure Scott has a Hutto of his own. Dempseys Hutto is still with the family, not sure if its with Chris or what. I am pretty certain he has his Dearstone and is learning to play it. Most everyone that plays with L&F adapt to their original sound of Dempsey and Gene Parker.

Willie Poole
Aug-16-2009, 8:59pm
At one festival Alan Mills, of Lost and found, heard me playing in a jam and said he loved my mandolin playing and I said to him that he had the best mandolin player there was and he replied, "yeah but don`t play bluegrass".....What he meant was that he did a lot of improvising away from the melody, but I for one loved everything Dempsy ever played, they are one of my favorite bluegrass bands....
Willie

Tracy Ballinger
Aug-19-2009, 1:13pm
Hutto #132, per his MySpace info. And he plays it well! Got to see him in March... fantastic picker.

DannyB
Aug-20-2009, 7:02am
There was one or 2 huttos around here for sale. I'm not sure what happened to one but the other was in the white when John passed and is probably being refinished. The other was a hoss I just didn't have the $6500 at the time. I still ended up with a great mando though and really don't have any regrets.

AlanN
Aug-20-2009, 7:12am
Dempsey was a stylist.

He of course took from Monroe early on, then did his own thing. One characteristic of his style was an innovative chordal thing. He would grab a double or triple stop 1 step below and slide up to the chord, emulating (as he put it) a steel guitar. In his instructional tape, he demonstrates that technique...just a bit, lol. He was very fan-based, always wanting to play requests and recorded tunes. One precious memory I have is picking Golden Slippers with him a party. I took the tenor and we did it just like he and Lynwood picked it on record.

To this day, I still pick Goofus and Dempsey's Ride.

AlanN
Sep-02-2009, 9:04am
Getting back to Goofus:

Dempsey took this tune and made it a showcase of the band, for years. I think it may have been written by Chet Atkins, at least played by him.

He gets some cool moves in it, as in where the band stops on the I chord, he plays, on the bass strings

0-0, 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 2-2, 1-1, 0-0, then slides up to 7-9-10, all within the space of 2 bars. Little things like that made his style what it was.

Ronald Smith, on youtube, picks some manalin tunes, one is Dem Golden Slippers, in D chord. He plays that exact figure at some point. Wonder where he got it from? :whistling:

allenhopkins
Sep-02-2009, 1:54pm
Getting back to Goofus:...I think it may have been written by Chet Atkins, at least played by him.

Here's what Wikipedia says about Goofus:

"Goofus" is a 1930 popular song with music written by Wayne King and William Harold and lyrics by Gus Kahn.Les Paul recorded the song in 1950 and his version was released by Capitol Records as catalog number 1192. The record first reached the Billboard charts on September 29, 1950, peaking at number 21. Phil Harris released his version on October 13, 1950...Chet Atkins recorded "Goofus" in 1960 for the studio album Chet Atkins' Workshop, RCA Victor catalog LSP-2232.

I believe the cover picture for Les Paul's version shows Les with a Gibson A-40 or A-50.

mandolirius
Sep-15-2009, 4:43am

"Goofus" is a 1930 popular song with music written by Wayne King and William Harold and lyrics by Gus Kahn.Les Paul recorded the song in 1950 and his version was released by Capitol Records as catalog number 1192. The record first reached the Billboard charts on September 29, 1950, peaking at number 21. Phil Harris released his version on October 13, 1950...Chet Atkins recorded "Goofus" in 1960 for the studio album Chet Atkins' Workshop, RCA Victor catalog LSP-2232.

I believe the cover picture for Les Paul's version shows Les with a Gibson A-40 or A-50.

My favourite version of "Goofus" is by the Cleanliness & Godliness Skiffle Band (really).

"I was born on a farm down in Io-way
A flaming youth who was born just to fly away
I packed my grip and took my saxophone."

Makes me smile just thinking about it. Wish I still had that record.

AlanN
Sep-15-2009, 6:28am
I have a live show of L&F, Bass Mtn fest 1981. They pick this one, the crowd gave a smattering of applause. Clearly, they didn't get Dempsey's genius :mandosmiley:

Ben Milne
Jan-10-2010, 9:57pm

someone has uploaded the this elsewhere on the cafe... (here's one thread (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53958&highlight=les+Paul))

Is that strung with only 4 strings?

does anybody happen to know where a copy could be obtained?