PDA

View Full Version : Gibson A-40 revisited - what's it worth?

grimax
Aug-08-2009, 9:14pm
Several weeks ago I asked for help on finding out what mandolin I had - Several helped out and Mike gave the info that it was an A40 but the tuners and tailpiece aren't original and it has been oversprayed. I've included some closer pictures showing some cracks and a messy paint job on the head.

My question - the mandolin still sounds good but with all the negatives what would be a fair price to sell it for. I have a couple of friends who are interested but I'd like to have info on what would be fair to them and me. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks

GTison
Aug-08-2009, 10:05pm
No expert here but I think it is an A-50 not an A-40. I could be wrong, but I thought the A-40s have Mahogany backs that is maple on the back. But where is the binding? I thought they were all white bound. Has it been painted over or does it just not show.
I did see an A50 last year with original parts but with a tiny neck separation crack. They wanted $500. I would say $500 to $800. I hope that's close to what you wanted to hear.

John Rosett
Aug-09-2009, 8:43am
That's a real odd ball. A-40's did have mahogany backs, and A-50's had body and fingerboard binding. Neither had a back brace. I wonder if it's a Kalamazoo that got re-necked and refinished at the Gibson factory in the 50's.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-09-2009, 8:46am
The A-40 had a back brace, it's not odd at all. This refinish job was not done by Gibson, they would have never allowed the spray inside the body.

I think the amounts listed above are generous considering the condition. In good shape it might reach those numbers but probably not.

John Rosett
Aug-09-2009, 9:29am
The A-40 had a back brace, it's not odd at all. This refinish job was not done by Gibson, they would have never allowed the spray inside the body.

So there were A-40's with curly maple backs and no top binding?

Expect anything but expect that there's binding under that paint.

Chris "Bucket" Thomas
Aug-09-2009, 9:45am
If you can see the numbers copy them and it email it to Dave Harvey. He will pass it to someone at Gibson who can tell you what model and "about" what year.

I think realistic A50 prices for an unaltered/orginal in good shape is closer to $1000-1200. Dealers and those otherwise looking to make a profit will be $1500-1800.

grimax
Aug-09-2009, 10:13pm
There is a binding that can be seen from the side - the top was painted over. The binding is more tortoise shell colored instead of the ones I've seen in pictures. There is no label I can see and any numbers on the headstock were painted over.
I was hoping it would be in the $300 range.

barney 59
Aug-09-2009, 10:46pm
It was painted over? Painted?! It lost half it's value right there!

jeff mercer
Aug-10-2009, 6:55pm
Grimax,

Yep, it's certainly lost any appeal to a collector, but for $300 I could see it being of interest to a touring musician who wants a good sounding Gibson mandolin that they can take on the road without worrying about dings & scratches etc.

Personally, I'D give you $300 at the drop of a hat :)

acousticphd
Aug-11-2009, 10:14am
I'll offer you $310, right now, if that's what you were looking and hoping for.
Seriously; email me and it's done.
I have no qualms about modified/refinished Gibsons, and in fact those are the only ones I would even consider these days.