PDA

View Full Version : Listening directions?

Rhadge
Aug-06-2009, 9:06am
Hi.
I've always liked the sound of bluegrass/country, but have never bothered to explore the genre closer.

I was watching Transatlanic Sessions 3 the other week, and decided (after also buying a few of their CD's) that I like the music of Bruce Molsky, Jerry Douglas and Darrell Scott and would like to hear more of the genre.

Just asking here for namedrops on musicians and suggestions on other good CD's I should buy, to get me started!

Maybe I should mention that I don't like high-pitched voices, or Dolly Parton-style songs.

Thanks in advance

JeffD
Aug-06-2009, 11:49am
I know the boarder lines can be somewhat fuzzy, but check out Bruce Greene (http://www.brucegreene.net/). More old timey, but well worth a listen.

Rick Schmidlin
Aug-06-2009, 12:00pm
Buy early Monroe,Flatt and Scruggs and Stanley Brothers and listen listen listen.

And listen to the music not the voice.

man dough nollij
Aug-08-2009, 2:00am
You must get Real Time, with Darrell Scott and Tim O'Brien. One of my favorite albums of all time, though not at all bluegrass. I've never heard anything that DS has been involved with that is less than the best.

Mike Snyder
Aug-08-2009, 3:50am
Jeff is spot on about Bruce Green. Visit www.brucemolsky.com , old timey for sure. If that's what you're looking for. It sure rings all my bells. Others here at the Cafe can (and will) suggest bluegrassy directions.

Soupy1957
Aug-08-2009, 4:06am
Have you noticed how "plastic" Dolly Parton is starting to LOOK lately? Like solidifying formaldehyde. Won't be any problem preserving HER when she's gone.........

-Soupy1957

Mike Snyder
Aug-08-2009, 4:21am
If you like Molsky, grab a few from Rafe Stefanini, Cathy Barton&Dave Para, or any of these from the late John Hartford; Wild Hog in the Red Bush, Hamilton Ironworks, or Speed of the Old Long Bow. Great music any old time!

mandozilla
Aug-08-2009, 8:54am
Maybe I should mention that I don't like high-pitched voices,

Why do you think they call it that "High, Lonesome sound"? :disbelief:

Perhaps you should listen to Country music or some sort of Roots music or Folk music. If it ain't High and Lonesome, it ain't Bluegrass music...IMHO :grin:

~o):mandosmiley:

allenhopkins
Aug-08-2009, 2:28pm
If it ain't High and Lonesome, it ain't Bluegrass music...IMHO

Where's that leave Charlie Waller?

JeffD
Aug-09-2009, 3:58pm
Maybe I should mention that I don't like high-pitched voices,

You mean like Bill Monroe :disbelief:

??

:whistling:

Fretbear
Aug-26-2009, 6:03am
"The Crossing"; Tim O'Brien.
Actually, everything he has ever recorded; solo, with his band Hot Rize or as a sideman.
Jerry Douglas and Darrell Scott are playing with him on a good deal of them as well.

250sc
Aug-26-2009, 6:22am
Try some Sam Bush. He's like Jerry Douglas in that he has bluegrass roots but has moved in other directions.

I agree that Tim Obrien is a great choice. Again, bluegrass roots but can do other things too.

Mike Bunting
Aug-26-2009, 3:26pm
Have you noticed how "plastic" Dolly Parton is starting to LOOK lately? Like solidifying formaldehyde. Won't be any problem preserving HER when she's gone.........

-Soupy1957
Isn't that sort of irrelevant as well as somewhat meanspirited?

Mike Bunting
Aug-26-2009, 3:27pm
Why do you think they call it that "High, Lonesome sound"? :disbelief:

Perhaps you should listen to Country music or some sort of Roots music or Folk music. If it ain't High and Lonesome, it ain't Bluegrass music...IMHO :grin:

~o):mandosmiley:
Ever hear of Lester Flatt?

JeffD
Aug-26-2009, 5:05pm
Don't be messin with Dolly Parton. Have you heard her sing "Cry, Cry Darlin' " on Ricky Skaggs CD "Songs of Bill Monroe" ??

It will rip your heart out.

:crying::mandosmiley:

Charley wild
Aug-26-2009, 9:17pm

It leaves him pretty well represented in my collection! And Lester Flatt, and Bill Monroe, and.....

Hey Mandozilla low and lonesome is cool too.;)

GVD
Aug-26-2009, 9:42pm
Isn't that sort of irrelevant as well as somewhat meanspirited?

I couldn't agree more.

Soupy have you ever heard Dolly sing bluegrass? If not I suggest you follow Ted 's advice from the Don Julin thread
With all due respect, there is this cool Internet tool called "Google" that allows one to do one's own research on these kinds of questions before posting. Sometimes it saves a poster from persistent embarassment.

before emabarassing yourself yet again.

Alex Orr
Aug-27-2009, 2:50pm
or any number of groups fronted by Tony Rice back when he could still sing? Truth be told very few current bluegrass acts follow the "high lonesome" vocal aesthetic. Personally I love that style of singing but it's nowhere near being a definitive part of contemporary bluegrass.

Marty Henrickson
Aug-29-2009, 10:40am
High lonesome - I think it's all a matter of time and perspective. I can remember when I didn't really appreciate the Monroe-style high tenor harmonies. Maybe for some reason I thought it wasn't masculine - I can't say for sure. But that's not the case now. And while it may or may not be "...a definitive part of contemporary bluegrass", it is one major component of the classic style. Also, I personally believe that high and lonesome doesn't always have to refer the pitch and tone of the vocals, but the overall feel of the music. Just one fan's opinion.

I'm not sure what the OP means by Dolly Parton - style songs, but here are a few listening suggestions:

1) Doc and Dawg - some incredibly tasty picking from Doc Watson, David Grisman, and Jack Lawrence. Doc's soulful baritone voice shouldn't bother you. And if you like this, try (with open ears)...
2) Live Recordings 1963-1980: Off The Record Volume II, by Bill Monroe and Doc Watson. Somewhat similar in feel to "Doc and Dawg", with the addition of Monroe's mandolin work and tenor harmonies.
3) The Pizza Tapes, by Jerry Garcia, David Grisman, and Tony Rice. Another stripped-down recording with only mandolin, two guitars, and Garcia's perfectly less-than perfect voice. Also try out "Shady Grove" and "Not For Kids Only", by Garcia and Grisman.
4) Stomp, by Mike Compton and David Long. A must for mandolin lovers, with a little guitar thrown in for good measure.
5) Skaggs and Rice, by Ricky Skaggs and Tony Rice - a classic guitar / mando duet recording from two virtuosos. Ricky's tenor harmonies shouldn't bother you, and Tony's pleasing baritone is at its best.

Oh yeah, +1 on "Real Time", by Tim O'Brien and Darrell Scott. Good Stuff.

journeybear
Aug-29-2009, 12:09pm
There's really only one listening direction - Shut up!!!

Oh - you meant listening suggestions ... oops, my bad ... sorry ... :redface:

:)

Miked
Aug-29-2009, 1:47pm
I like the Owsley recordings of Old and In the Way that are on Acoustic Disc. These are definitely classics; you even have two of the Bluegrass Boys:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t282/Mike210XST/BreakdownCD.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t282/Mike210XST/ThatHighLonesomeSoundCD-01.jpg