PDA

View Full Version : MUSIC FOR MANDOLA

bjc
Aug-21-2004, 8:03am
Hello,

Just wondering if there is a resource for music for the Mandola? I can always use mandolin music and transpose, but I'm just curious if there is any Mandola specific material out there...

bluesmandolinman
Aug-22-2004, 3:27am
The only one I know is the "Mandola Sampler" from Niles Hokkanen. I would highly recommend it ! Little price but big help !!! Elderly has it...

René

Jim Garber
Sep-21-2004, 7:53am
I assume that you are referring to tenor mandola (tuned CGDA).

If you are at all looking for classical: There is plenty of music for viola but it would not be in tab and you would need to learn the c-clef. A friend and I used to play Bach's 2-Part Inventions arranged for violin and viola on the mandolin and mandola.

The other possible source would be music for tenor banjo which has the same tuning.

Folk of the Wood (http://www.folkofthewood.com/page1769.htm) has this video. I have not seen it... just found it on a search.

Jim

mandroid
Sep-23-2004, 1:17pm
see Chord melody stuff for tenor banjo, jazzbanjo.com website has PDF arraingements.
:cool:

Unseen122
Sep-24-2004, 9:20pm
C-clef is also called Alto clef thought you should know. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Jim Garber
Sep-24-2004, 9:53pm
see Chord melody stuff for tenor banjo, jazzbanjo.com website has PDF arraingements.
:cool:
mandroid:
Where on that site are the pdfs? Do you have to become a member to access them?

Jim

Pete Martin
Sep-28-2004, 10:32am
A number of solo cello pieces work great on mandola.

Jim Garber
Sep-28-2004, 10:46am
A number of solo cello pieces work great on mandola.
Here (http://icking-music-archive.org/scores/bach/cello_suites/va100712.pdf) are the Bach Cello suites transcribed for viola.

Jim

bjc
Oct-18-2004, 2:27pm
LATE REPLY...but thanks for the suites...I'm sure it'll give me many hours of enjoyment/frustrastion...

John Bertotti
Oct-18-2004, 2:44pm
Jim how do you think the Bach cello suites would sound transposed to gdae mandola tuning? John

bjc
Oct-19-2004, 1:49pm
I haven't started on them yet, so I don't know yet personally...but I'm sure that will be a task as well...

Jim Garber
Oct-19-2004, 3:08pm
Jim how do you think the Bach cello suites would sound transposed to gdae mandola tuning? John
John, I play the cello suites transposed to violin (http://icking-music-archive.org/scores/bach/cello_suites/vl100712.pdf) and they are relatively easy to play (as opposed to the Sonatas and Partitas for Violin). I assume you are asking what they would sound like on an octave mandolin? I would think they would sound fine but the fingering might be different due to the longer scale.

Jim

Martin Jonas
Oct-19-2004, 3:56pm
I assume you are asking what they would sound like on an octave mandolin? I would think they would sound fine but the fingering might be different due to the longer scale.
If the stretches turn out to be too hairy on the octave mandolin (I know they would be on mine with its 660mm scale), then you can always put the capo on the fifth fret and play the mandola part instead. You'll be back in Bach's original key, as well.

Martin

John Bertotti
Oct-19-2004, 10:00pm
I started building a five course mandola that is what I was thinking of. About 517mm scale length. Thanks All I can't wait to try them. John

Shana Aisenberg
Oct-25-2004, 5:21pm
I've written a few pieces for mandola, one of them, "Solar Mandola" is posted in tabledit at the co-mando site.

Seth

bjc
Oct-27-2004, 11:38am
Seth,

What style is it listed under?

Shana Aisenberg
Oct-27-2004, 12:07pm
Hmm, that's a good question. I'm not finding it online either... If you don't find it in a search just let me know your email address and I'll send you a pdf.

Seth

Bob A
Oct-27-2004, 12:33pm
Just started the Bach cello suites. They're transposed for violin, and I play them on a mandola (CGDA) using violin fingering, and they come out in the same key as a cello. (C-clef? I don' need no steenkin C-clef!). I think they work better on a mandola than a mandolin because of the lower pitch, and general tonal characteristics of the instrument.

John Bertotti
Oct-27-2004, 2:31pm
Seth I haven't found it yet either. I would like a copy. John

bjc
Oct-27-2004, 4:41pm
Seth, If you would send me copy I'd appreciate it...The address is LPGuitar@aol.com...
Thanks

John Bertotti
Oct-27-2004, 5:51pm
While your at it copy me to please. reesaber@mac.com
thanks john

Shana Aisenberg
Oct-27-2004, 9:21pm
It's "in the mail"

Seth